4.0 out of 5 stars Wayne's world
Tao Te Ching..meaning Book of The Way, or book of the Word. One of the best books ever written. Or, if you read the author's insights in the preface, Book of the Way-ne Dye-r (adder of color and light) : )

If you are like most people, you may be wondering should I get this particular version, and how does it compare with other versions or his earlier book...
Published on 26 April 2009 by L. Power

3.0 out of 5 stars fast food spirituality
Overall, I'm a bit disappointed with this book. I'd heard of Wayne Dyer and had reasonably high expectations for this book. The idea of presenting the Tao Te Ching in language intended to be more accessible to a Western reader sounded appealing.

Published on 24 Jan 2010 by CJ Savernake

4.0 out of 5 stars Wayne's world, 26 April 2009
L. Power "nlp trainer" (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

No matter how great a writer you think Wayne Dyer is, he did not write the Tao, yet his rendition is consistent with the best versions I have read. The difference between this and his earlier book, Living the wisdom of the Tao, being the short essays of several pages, offering insights on each verse.

Stephen Mitchell's version has worked best for me, and it has no essays. The Tao concepts bypass ego based thinking, and the idea of doing things by not striving is allowing a higher more authentic way of thinking to inform your being and your action.

One Jonathan Star version has Chinese symbols at the back, with multiple meanings of each symbol. This allows you to come up with your own version of the Tao, and would really open up your thinking on the Tao.

The Tao is always present within you.
You can use it any way you want.

81 verses all less than one page. Like any great mystery, the Tao is there to be experienced and not necessarily understood. Here is a selection from verse 81 to illustrate the difference between different versions.

True words aren't eloquent;
Eloquent words aren't true;
Wise men don't need to prove their point;
Men who need to prove their point aren't wise.

Here is what Dyer writes.

True words are not beautiful;
Beautiful words are not true;
Good men do not argue;
Men who argue are not good.

Notice a difference in meaning?

I bought this for my sister, because she loves Wayne Dyer's books. I recommend reading each verse several times and consider it line by line, see what meaning you get, put it aside and compare with Wayne's opinion later. The more you focus on the verses, and getting your own insights, the more you will get out of it.

According to the author, this book arose from a year of meditation. I suspect if he wrote a new edition five years from now, his quality of insight would be even more profound because it's an ongoing process. Many of his insights differed from my own, some better, others not so much.

For example Verse 44 to me seems to be about values, knowing what's important, not being attached to your identity and finding contentment within. He writes about Living by Knowing When to Stop. His verse words here differ significantly from the Mitchell version. That's why, if the Tao moves you I recommend you read more than one version.

I also recommend The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran, a classic book of wisdom, The Dhammapada featuring the succinct teachings of the Buddha, and The Way of Chuang Tzu by Thomas Merton, which is more Tao.

I hope you find this review helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars The truth - pure and simple, 3 Mar 2010
The message of this book is simple and one that deep down each and every one of us knows but has forgotten. Let go of all control and suffering and simply be, when you do this life unfolds perfectly at its own pace.

5.0 out of 5 stars joyful reading, 1 Jun 2009
This is a wonderful books to start your day with. Just read a verse a day and let it sink in and become part of the way you live and see your life. Highly recommended for its down to earth sense and the deep spiritual messages it holds.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Essential Guide to Life, 7 Feb 2011
The Tao Te Ching (also called the Dao De Jing) was written some 2,500 years ago in China. The writer is credited as Lao-Tzu or "the Old Master". The Tao Te Ching itself is simply a book of 81 verses. `Change Your Thoughts: Change Your Life` contains every verse from Tao Te Ching. As there have been many translations into English, Dr Dyer has selected his favourite translation for each verse. After each verse are a few pages of Dr Dyer's own interpretations of the verse. He also suggests an action you can take to 'Do the Tao Now'. This is an excellent book for a beginner (like me) who has never read the Tao Te Ching before. Dr Dyer's comments are helpful as they provide a different viewpoint on each verse and gave greater meaning to some of the more paradoxical concepts.
Every verse has a profound and true point to make. The Tao Te Ching is a spiritual self-improvement document. I truly believe that if you implement the Tao Te Ching's advice, you will live a greatly richer and improved life. It is amazing that not one verse seems old or out of place in the 21st century, because the princliples of a fulfilling life are timeless.
Taoism is an excellent philosophy as it does not ask you to believe in any mythical beings or practise any specific rituals. All it does is give advice on what constitutes a happy and meaningful life. It is your choice to act on this advice. The virtues and 'problems' of life are shown through the (yin/yang) dual unity concept.
The Tao Te Ching gives advice on living happily, co-existing with others and being a good parent/leader.
This is a book EVERYONE must read. Dr Dyer's book is a great way to start!

3.0 out of 5 stars fast food spirituality, 24 Jan 2010
CJ Savernake (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

The book is not awful, and it's not even bad... but for some reason, reading it makes me feel sort of down, rather than encouraged, uplifted, or enlightened. I think, for me, the book seems just a bit too American. ie, it's not really written so much for the Western reader, as for the American reader. I found it very difficult to relate to his presentation of some ideas, and I think the reason for this is two-fold:

1. it feels very much like a 'master speaks to student' sort of voice. Which, I've gathered from other interpretations I've read elsewhere, is contrary to the spirit of the text. I didn't get a feeling, as I was reading, that this was a fellow human who shared common human weaknesses, so much as a self-appointed sage who was trying to show the rest of us where we've got it wrong. Which I wouldn't actually mind, if his writing charmed me and I'd got enough of his personality to think 'This is one cool dude who I'd love to emulate' - but it was all sort of 'eh', so the outcome was a bit patronising (IMO) rather than beguiling.

2. A lot of his interpretations differ markedly from interpretations I've read elsewhere. Since I'm by no means an expert in the Tao, I don't want to go so far as to say, "He's wrong and everyone else I've ever read is right" - but his interpretation does feel rather more shallow to me than others I have read. As an example, he seems to translate 'ego' as being roughly equivalent to 'hubristic pride' and 'unexamined self interest'. Whereas most other books I've read seem to translate ego in this context as a belief in yourself as a separate entity.

I've given it three stars rather than two as it's still a lot better than a lot of the self-help dross out there, and it does have some very sensible advice, and perhaps a nugget of insight hidden in here and there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beatiful Stuff, 27 Mar 2008
Peter Burbery (manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Change Your Thoughts, Change Your Life: Living the Wisdom of the Tao (Audio CD)
A translation of the verses of the Tao Te Ching, each one accompanied by a short insightful essay. I listen to this regularly whenever I have a quiet moment (jogging, falling asleep at night) or when I realise I'm getting uptight (lunchbreak). It helps to calm me & see things as they really are. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificient Book!, 2 Aug 2007
Tao Te Ching written by the mythic figure Lao-tzu contains wisdom that is difficult to describe.

As you read the words, they speak to you of a reality that is beyond words and yet mysteriously transmitted through words. What a wonderful paradox!

The words function to point to a reality beyond them. A reality that cannot be named or described but it can be felt as a presence in nature, in silence and in other spiritually moving moments of inspiration. Tao Te Ching describes this mysterious eternal Tao.

The text of the Tao Te Ching frees us from intellectual grasping of ideas to the actual reality or presence beyond our mental constructs. Reality is often filtered by our mental screen and we often create a closed reality based on our mental perceptions, beliefs and prior conditioning. In the open words of Lao-tzu, we can experience reality itself as a Whole that is Indivisible and Mysterious.

Lao-tzu's teachings are simple and natural still our grasping mind finds them difficult. This is where Wayne's book is indispensable for relating these teachings to contemporary understanding and making them accessible for Western readers. You can also sense Wayne's sincerity in living the wisdom of the Tao and that gives his words conviction. He is not merely discussing abstract ideas but relating them to his own lived experiences.

This is a magnificent book that every spiritual-seeker needs to have in their library for its inspiration and depth. I've also been reading an unusual spiritual novel about overcoming personal pain and finding your inner center called "Nexus: A Neo Novel."

5.0 out of 5 stars Wayne's World. Part deux, 4 Oct 2011
L. Power "nlp trainer" (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Tao Te Ching: An Illustrated Journeyversion has worked best for me, and it has no essays. The Tao concepts bypass ego based thinking, and the idea of doing without doing yet getting things done allows a higher more authentic way of thinking to inform your being and your action. You can apply this wu wei (effortless action) principle anywhere.

One Tao Te Ching: Definitive Editionversion has Chinese symbols at the back, with multiple meanings of each symbol. This allows you to come up with your own version of the Tao, and would really open up your thinking on the Tao.

The Tao is always present within you.
You can use it any way you want.

True words aren't eloquent;
Eloquent words aren't true;
Wise men don't need to prove their point;
Men who need to prove their point aren't wise.

Here is what Dyer writes.

True words are not beautiful;
Beautiful words are not true;
Good men do not argue;
Men who argue are not good.

Notice a difference in meaning?

I also recommend Prophetby Kahlil Gibran, a classic book of wisdom, Dhammapada: A New Translation of the Buddhist Classic with Annotations featuring the succinct teachings of the Buddha, and The The Way of Chuang Tzuby Thomas Merton, and if you wish to read a humorous personal take on the Tao, I recommend the The Tao of Willie: A Guide to the Happiness in Your Heartby Willie Nelson.

I think you will find it helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Brilliant, easy to read, short chapters., 30 Oct 2007
stephen Luff (Worthing, Sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
I like Wayne Dyer, he writes some very current books. He is not my favorite author as I sometimes get a bit brain-tied with how he expresses himself. With some thinking though, I've got the message and it's been very useful.

Now this book is lovely. He breaks down the pithy "Tao Te Ching" with 81 little chapters on the wisdom of Lao Tzu. Taoism is based upon the wisdom of Lao Tzu.

What I really like is that the little essays are very digestible and quick to read. One doesn't really feel like racing through the book, which I usually do. Instead I've really enjoyed going over a new verse or two here and there. It's one of those books I feel that one will want to finish, yet is in no hurry to do so. For me a sign of a good book is if it's not picked up in two weeks one still thinks about a quick read of a chapter or two.

Once again I feel Wayne is right on the money with the timing of this book. He's come off the back of the recent, "cosmic law of attraction" and "power of intention" and gone back to an ancient text that is an immortal classic.

The only caveat I will lay down is have a read or listen to Pema Chodron's "good medicine", "meditation", "getting unstuck". One will develop a very quick way to cleanse from self-criticism and enter a purer open mind, embracing all our minds imperfections and realising they are not part of our true being. Then any reference of Wayne's to do this or that will be bypassed and the pure essence of his message will come shining through. Sometimes we all tend to have our filters on, adding little bits of our own beliefs, thereby losing the purity of the cosmic message.

Creator of the Beginner Tai Chi (DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 30 Oct 2009
Vic Gilgeous (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
Both the book and the CD are excellent. Before I go to sleep I listen to one of the verses. It helps set me up for a restful evening and a very good following day. If people payed attention to what Wayne Dyer is saying this world would be a much happier and safer place to be in.

ARRAY(0xa8b29480)