Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 June 2004
As the only male nurse in our obstetrics dept' I contantly find myself being asked for advice & information from expectant fathers to be.
Even when it is one of my more than competent female colleagues that is more directly responsible for caring for the mother.
It seems that many F's2b, most of whom have already read significantly through the plethora of information out there, still hanker for a more familiar 'masculinely voiced' interpretation of what is happening to their partner (and themselves!)
At last someone has written one & one that manages to be anecdotally humourous and medically accurate at the same time.
I would and do recommend this book to any new F's2b aswell as to recent fathers, like me, who would enjoy an entertaining read.
My only gripe with the book is that I didn't write it first!
on 15 April 2005
As others have commented, there's astoundingly little information for men who are having babies. I have a supportive partner who nonetheless couldn't get his head around the fact that my 'symptoms' were not psychosomatic, that I wasn't just milking the pregnancy for kicks (like, I'll feign morning sickness, gain 3 dress sizes, and develop acne on my bum just cos I can). My 'bloke', as sensitive and in touch with the feminine as he is, needed a book like Smith's that he could digest "like a packet of biscuits" without too much week-by-week pregnancy detail that is so characteristic of the majority of such material. It cuts to the chase, and is absolutely hilarious. Although quite graphic in places, I fully recommend it to impending and current Mums and Dads.
on 25 November 2008
A very wise man once said that, all things considered, Dads just aren't considered important in this whole preganacy lark. When my wife first fell preganant she scoured Amazon and the local bookshops for guides on preganacy and giving birth and raising children, and was overwhelmed with the selection on offer. I, on the other hand, didn't have the first clue about what to expect in real life, let alone what book(s) to buy - but then quickly realised that there were no books to buy! Yup, that wise man was right, as far as information goes Dads get the nasty end of the stick. Until, that is, Jon Smith's "A Bloke's Guide to Pregnancy".

Why did I want a guide to preganacy? It's not that I'm a particularly "new man", wishing to get involved with every aspect of the whole event, but I did want to learn more about my wife's preganacy if for no other reason than to be prepared when my wife started throwing up / crying all the time / eating us out of house of home (not that she did any of these things, by the way!). A friend of mine who had recently had a baby pointed me in the direction of Jon Smith's "A Bloke's Guide to Preganancy" and I sceptically picked up a copy. And boy, am I glad I did! Jon covers pretty much every aspect of preganacy from concept (as it were) to conclusion, and all points in between. It's written is a funny, easy to read style that allows the reader to dip into the book and read little sections as applicable to a situaltion just as much as being easy to read from cover to cover. The book's not patronising either, telling fathers-to-be what the score is without being overly scientific or "laddish", and is choc-full of facts that even my wife found helpful when she couldn't find what she wanted in her pregancy tomes.

I can't recommend this book highly enough for any man (or indeed woman!) who finds themself on the receiving end of a pregnancy without a clue about what is going to happen next. Think of "A Bloke's Guide to Pregnancy" like being able to chat to a mate down the pub about all the things you want to know about pregnancy but were afraid to ask. Of course, you'll have to provide your own beer, but still it's well worth it!
on 3 April 2008
I ordered this book and then read the negative reviews that it had been given..... I disagree with these - the book is tops! Despite being labelled as "simplistic" and "sexist" - it isn't! I have good medical knowledge, but this book contains the right amount of detail for most, but importantly, explains to men why things are the way they are - you don't get this from the medical books!

If you want something to summarise the progress that your partner is going through in terms of behavioural changes then this hits the nail on the head - it is easy reading, light-hearted, informative and amusing. Sure, it doesn not give you all the preparation you need, but it never claims to!

Enjoy.
on 23 May 2010
I bought this book for my other half and hoped it would answer pregnancy related questions from a male perspective. According to my other half, the book made him feel throughly depressed! He would not recommend this book to others, and as I have read in other reviews he found the stereotypical images of fathers-to-be put forward by the book really irritating!
on 12 June 2004
I thoroughly recommend this book to any man (not necessarily a 'bloke') who is about to embark on that most auspicious of journeys, and even to those already hitching a lift.
Because doesn't it feel like that? That we're just along for the ride? We've done our bit now what? Every step after the 'big news' is greeted with a reaction rather than expectancy. Sure we get insights from our better halves from the multitude of guides, journals, pamphlets and advice targeted specifically for them but what about us? Huh?
The BGtP is written by a bloke specifically for us blokes with testimonials from blokes. It lays it the scenarios, facts and details in plain English with relevance to our emotions (yes we have them), financial and biological position.
I confess that I read this book in retrospect of my offspring and wish that it had been available when I was getting ready for my first; it would have had me prepped for a few of the more 'grittier' moments that you sometimes don't get in the ladies' 'Mills & Boon' guides. I wish I'd had it for my second because, seasoned as I considered myself to be, it still would have had me better prepared (no pregnancy is the same).
Therefore, upon reading, I had the luxury of hindsight and was able to laugh out loud at the wit and the sheer ridiculous situations that pregnancy can bring rather than snigger uncomfortably at what the future might hold.
This guide will help any man to better understand what his partner is going through and help those expectant women to better understand how emotionally crap and actively impotent their men could be.
on 3 May 2006
I don't use the word "hero" lightly.

"Dude," on the other hand I say all the time. And, dude! Jon Smith has produced not only a baby of his own but the best snapper-related book for us blokes since Dave Barry's influential, inspirational masterpiece, Babies and Other Hazards of Sex.

The sad truth that most blokes will face at one point in their life: when the blessed miracle is upon you, you will be awhirl in overly-technical medical manuals, touchy-feely hormone tomes and glossy infant fashion magazines. What infant cares if they barf all over a designer label, anyway? These woman-written books do not mention the scourging withered upon any ordinary Joe who brings up that last point.

Is there nowhere for dudes like us to turn? Where can we get the information that we need to play a part in this life-changing event, in easy-to-digest bloke-sized pieces?

To excerpt the Bloke's Guide:

The Third Stage of Labour

Just when you think it's all over, time to get your coat and spread the good news, your partner will be asked to push again.... I am afraid that the midwife (as always) is right. The final part of labor - the expulsion of the placenta, or afterbirth - will mark the end of labour proper..... The placenta is a reddish/purople/green mess. It actually looks like something from Aliens and I was fascinated yet scared when it popped out. You can request to take the placenta home with you, but I would striongly suggest you let the hospital deal with it; or better yet call in Riply, Bishop and the rest of the team, armed with pulse rifles. (pg 176-7)

Jon Smith, you are a genius. The Bloke's Guide to Pregnancy offers introductory advice on topics from X to Y to Z. Even on weird topics that I had never known were in the pregnancy alphabet, like ç and ñ! And it does it with humor and style. Dude! Class.

Jon Smith, hero, or just a bog-standard bloke doing his best in a hardcover world filled with full-color placenta pics?

I dunno. Let's hit the boozer for a few celebratory jars and jaw it over like we happy dudes do.
on 15 November 2006
The entire bibliography of recommended further reading at the back of this book consisted of one book each by Tony Parsons, Ben Elton and Nick Hornby. If that fact alone doesn't immediately put you off ever reading a single syllable of Jon Smith, then you might enjoy this book.

"The Bloke's Guide to Pregnancy" isn't entirely without merit - 200 or 300 pages matily exhorting you to spend a little less time in the pub and a bit more time helping with the washing up can only have a positive overall impact on society. Whether it will have a positive impact on your experience as an expectant father depends on whether or not you view Messrs Parsons, Elton and Hornby as spokesblokes for 21st century Britain. And whether or not you forgive clunky, cliche-ridden prose and widespread apostrophe abuse.

If your immediate response to the news of your partner's pregnancy wasn't "oh no, what about drinking beer and watching football?" then read a real book on pregnancy that treats both of you as intelligent human beings. "Your Pregnancy Bible: The Experts' Guide to the Nine Months of Pregnancy and the First Weeks of Parenthood" by Anne Deans is particularly recommended.
66 comments|69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 June 2006
This book is the no nonsense guide to pregnancy from the moment you work out what to do with your widget until last orders are called. I ordered this book as a 'customers who bought this also bought' recommendation when buying Dr Miriam Stoppards guide to conception pregancy and birth for my wife. It's a great read from cover to cover and easy to dip in to to pick out information you need when you need it. I'm sure I'll be delving back in to the subtleties of 2nd trimester mood swings as time progesses. Great book. Buy it.
on 26 April 2007
I was really looking for a book that was written from a blokes perspective for blokes to understand pregnancy from a non-patronising point of view, with a bit of humour along the way. That's exactly what I got. My other half was really impressed with this book, and we both had a laugh at the annecdotes etc.

Well reccommended for blokes (who, like most of us first time mums) don't have a clue where to go from that little blue line.....