Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 January 2009
Being given the good news by my wife that i was going to be a dad for the first time filled me with both excitement and a sense of trepidation at the same time.I thought i had better get all the info i could about the coming 9 months.All of the books i had seen and the info on the web seemed to come from Doctors and the like who put what happened to women in a very medical way.Then i stumbled on "The Blokes Guide to.." series of books.
John Smith (yes his real name)tells it like it is from the start to the end but from the "blokes" perspective.Yes the book is broken down into the three trimesters like a lot of the other pregnancy books and has chapters inbetween with other related things like the first scan,trips to the hospital etc but he writes it like it is so blokes can relate easily to it.There is a chapter at the end about if things dont go plan which is quite sad,but the book is quite humerous and serious in the right amounts.There is also some contact websites and addresses for further reference if needed.On the whole i would reccomend this and the other "Blokes Guide to.." to any First-time dads to be.
on 9 March 2006
I can't reccommend this book enough to first time dads.
My fiance is expecting our first child and when she told me she was pregnant I felt like I had been hit by a train. The shock hits you before anything else! Once the shock wore off I was over the moon. But there were so many questions I had and couldn't really turn to anyone to ask them...
Can I still have sex without harming the baby?
Why is she going all moody?
What do I do next?
Jon Smith has written a step by step instruction manual for guys like me, and I bet like every other dad to be.
If you are going to be a dad, you need this book. Simple as that
on 31 July 2009
This book gives an informed perspective of what the "father" is to expect during the 9 months of pregnancy. It offers reassurance and a 'heads up' to what can happen - giving you peace of mind that "that little ache" or "cramp" is normal. It is a chronological guide through each of the 3 trimesters - with some light hearted humour - first hand.
I believe he spoke with over 100 couples to combine the research and information presented within this book.
A good buy !!
on 25 December 2008
My idea of hell would normally be anything called 'A blokes guide to'. However this is a bloody excellent and informative book. Have to say it really helped me get in a good headstate about the whole thing.
on 17 July 2009
This is a book written for blokes who (a) didn't want a baby in the first place and/or (b) would rather be out with their mates.

One small problem; that's not me.

The book is (very) occasionally witty, but most of the time I just thought the author was an immature idiot, and once in a while I did find out something I didn't know.

Bottom line: if you're having an unexpected pregnancy about 10 years before you thought about becoming a dad, then maybe you will get something out of this.

If on the other hand, like me, you have been meticulously planning from some time and reading all the forums, then there is nothing here for you.
on 12 October 2009
Not so sure about a definitive guide, but atleast it was a good read!. I found this book to be very funny in parts and that generally it wasn't to be taken too seriously. The book would be a bit of an ice breaker to any future father to be who is either mildly unsure as to what lies ahead or even still dwells in a cave. There are some very informative chapters that manage to explain the odd grey area about child birth and put them a little more in perspective, but usually these are only a short summarisation so don't expect to know everything in fine detail after reading the book.

Overall I really enjoyed the book and I even found myself reading some of the chapters out loud to my partner as she found it funny and believes that the baby did too. Well worth a read if you have a sense of humour!.
on 12 October 2010
I gave this book to my partner a few days after breaking the news to him that he was going to be a dad! The book has taken place of pride in our bathroom ever since which means it's contents are being read at all those 'opportune' moments! I read the book myself first (as you do) and have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it, it was a welcome relief to the books with all those explicit pictures and gory details which I know my partner would prefer to stay clear of. Jon's humour and honesty are very refreshing and as a mum-to-be it also provides us with some insight in to what our partners may (or may not!) be feeling/thinking. It's an easy to read book and nicely split in to bite sized (and easily digestible) sections. I would recommend this book to all those parents-to-be!
on 2 March 2007
I brought this book so that I would gain a different perspective on this whole pregnancy business. Since finding out that my wife is pregnant, I have referred to a great deal of literature from "off the shelf" pregnancy books which are for women but are often quite cold right up to academic publications.

The blokes guide to pregnancy is a no-nonsense guide that has told me things that I have not read elsewhere but which may prove to be invaluable in the coming months. I have felt reassured by this book and found a certain degree of confidence in its pages.

My wife too has found that many of the pregnancy books aimed towards women to be either too mother earth or too cold. Many are extremely technical and in some cases badly written. She has appreciated the blokes guide (left in our toilet) because it is suitably cynical and is realistic about the messy bits where other books are a touch shy.

This book is great for anyone closely involved in a pregnancy - good luck to you all!
on 10 August 2007
I bought this for my husband but also ended up reading it myself. It does go through a lot of information but not in any detail like you would find in the various pregnancy 'bibles'. I felt it does stereotype the guys a little but I have to say it did make me chuckle a fair bit when I read it - yes I recognised myself in his descriptions of mood swings etc! If you are after a what to do guide this is not for you.
on 28 October 2004
Although quite graphic in parts, it's important that he knows what's coming, especialy for first time fathers. My husband had said he wasn't going to be at the birth as he didn't like 'all that stuff', when I told him that if he wasn't at the birth he wouldn't be at the conception he had a rethink!! Upon reading this he started to feel really excited, frightened, enthusiastic and all the other emotions that come with planning a family. It really helped to see that there were things that he would be in control of and would be resposible for and even if you don't like 'all that stuff' you don't have to see it. It's packed full of useful information as well as frequent jokes, sarcasm and wit to entertain and keep them reading. My husband had said that it answered all the questions he was too embarrassed to ask, feeling that he should know all then answers. Whether first timers or tenth timers I don't think anyone has all the answers so this book realy does help. Women will find themselves chuckling through it too, if they can get it of their partners. A good one for the ladies is 'The Rough Guide to Pregnancy' - Kaz Cooke, informative, not quite a Bible but hilarious!