5.0 out of 5 stars Finally enjoying drawing again after 20 year block
I am so grateful for this book. I did a textile degree many years ago, and somehow, during it, the love I had for drawing was squeezed out of me by tutors pulling me this way and that. I have missed drawing more and more, yet every time I have tried to begin again, those whining tutor voices invaded my head, I would get upset and give up.

Danny Gregory is the...
Published on 2 Nov 2008 by CabbagePatch

3.0 out of 5 stars great on creativity, impossible to read handwriting
this book is full of creativity, ideas, drawings, scetches, text - handwritten text.
Published on 27 Jan 2009 by K. M. Keane

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant, inspirational book, 3 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Creative License: Giving Yourself Permission to be the Artist You Truly Are (Paperback)
I love this book so much! I bought it a couple of years ago now and am still even now referring to it and re-reading it.

The book is not so much a 'learn to draw book' teaching loads of technical lessons but is rather a book that focuses on trying to get you excited and inspired to draw. This book is aimed at those who have always admired others having drawing in their lives and have always wanted it too but don't know how or are too scared to get started.

For this reason, I can understand if some people would find this slightly patronising. Me personally, I find no hint of the author being patronising but instead see his enthusiasm for the subject being poured out by the bucket loads on the page. You really get a sense that the author is routing for you and this makes it a greatly encouraging book. What I like as well is how the author doesn't allow you to just sit reading the book the whole time but almost straight away is encouraging you to draw, feel the fear-as a lot of people do, and do it anyway!

This book is a very personal book from the author as it is clearly all based on his experiences of drawing. Throughout, he's constantly giving you advice as you develop in creating an illustrated journal (this is something that he really encourages) and also a nice sense of mutual understanding when it becomes a struggle.

A few people have been commenting about the capital letter writing. I can see how this isn't to everyone's preference as a lot of handwriting style font can be hard to read. However, I didn't actually notice hugely the fact that all the text was in capitals, a sign that it clearly didn't bother me. I've had no problems reading the text as it's all well laid out and easy to understand. I actually love that it's all written in this style as it further adds to the beauty of this book.

That is one thing that is definitely worth mentioning. The whole presentation is just brilliant. Clearly a lot of time has been put into the look of this book and this certainly doesn't go unnoticed. Just looking at the drawings and presentation of this book alone I think is a great source of inspiration. So even if you find you can't get on with the text, the book itself will allow you to take something hopefully away with you.

As an art student myself, this book has played a great part in my development in the subject. If you need a boost of confidence and inspiration to get yourself drawing, this book is definitely worth a look at. I just hope that you find it as inspirational as I have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book by Danny Gregory, 6 April 2011
Another fantastic book from Danny Gregory - full of inspiring activities, anecdotes and information, beautifully illustrated and beautifully bound so that you want to sit and read it all in one go! I found it hard to put down, and loved every second!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 2 Feb 2009
Polly Shepherd (Leeds, England) - See all my reviews
This book has really helped me get back to drawing, and given me confidence to try new things. Brilliant, accessible and fun, I would recommend this book to anyone who needs a jump-start back into drawing/art, or who needs confidence to get started on discovering the creativity that lurks within us all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Challenging and encouraging, 28 Dec 2008
This book is fabulous and beautifully created; opening it feels like catching a glimpse of someone's diary or sketchbook. Most of all it demystifies creativity and makes you believe that with nothing more than some blank paper and a pen you can make art. It is well worth a read if you would like to see the world in a different way and add a little quirkiness and individuality to your life. Buy it, read it, complete the challenges. Give it a go, there is nothing to lose

3.0 out of 5 stars great on creativity, impossible to read handwriting, 27 Jan 2009
K. M. Keane "Skaperlyst k m keane" (oslo, Norway) - See all my reviews
The font used in this book in handwriting in Capitals. I did not have the patience to read the whole thing because of the handwritten style. And that was a disappointment, because the contents had many interessting chapters - among others how to express my heart and find my own style.
I wish this book would be reprinted in times new roman font, and I would buy it again and work through it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very focused on art journalling and difficult to read., 31 May 2013
I bought this book for inspiration on drawing with an open mind as to the mediums etc. I was mostly looking for something on watercolour and improving drawing, or help to find inspiration and new ways of doing things. The book starts off well but goes downhill from there. It tries in ways to be a self help book which i find quite odd, and is very focused on art journalling which i dont think was clear enough. I found it very restricting in this sense as i dont want to create an art journal with super deep thinking. I was looking for something more creative, less restrictive to one style and easier to read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book!, 12 Jan 2012
I was hoping that this book would kick start my creative journal making - and it has! Interesting and inspiring.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Creative Licence Book, 9 Mar 2011
Mr A P HILL (WIGAN, LANCS United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Very inspirational. The first half of the book is great at tackling your inner demons about why you cannot draw or write or even paint. Definately confidance boosting. Danny Gregory has managed to break me out of my old negative habits so that now I have the confidance to draw immediately in pen for a final image as oppposed to a sketch that I would change. I would accept my work in whatever standard it comes out in. I was a perfectionist. Now I have no need to be, my work is good enough for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars great inspiration, 6 Sep 2010
It is an inspirational book although I do get the bit about the handwritten text, My sight isn't that good these days and I have had to use a magnifier to read some sections of it but thats the only problem. I have been drawing more since getting the Danny Gregory bug and no longer care if I am not good cos I am improving.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just brilliant, 7 Aug 2010
I bought this book about three weeks ago and have been sketching and painting daily since. Its absolutely fantastic, inspiring book that has put so much joy back into 'art' for me: buy this book- right now- you won't regret it.

The Creative License: Giving Yourself Permission to be the Artist You Truly Are