5.0 out of 5 stars Finally enjoying drawing again after 20 year block
I am so grateful for this book. I did a textile degree many years ago, and somehow, during it, the love I had for drawing was squeezed out of me by tutors pulling me this way and that. I have missed drawing more and more, yet every time I have tried to begin again, those whining tutor voices invaded my head, I would get upset and give up.

Danny Gregory is the...
Published on 2 Nov 2008 by CabbagePatch

2.0 out of 5 stars Very focused on art journalling and difficult to read.
I bought this book for inspiration on drawing with an open mind as to the mediums etc. I was mostly looking for something on watercolour and improving drawing, or help to find inspiration and new ways of doing things. The book starts off well but goes downhill from there. It tries in ways to be a self help book which i find quite odd, and is very focused on art...
Published 19 months ago by Blondie

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally enjoying drawing again after 20 year block, 2 Nov 2008
This review is from: The Creative License: Giving Yourself Permission to be the Artist You Truly Are (Paperback)

Danny Gregory is the friendly, gentle, encouraging voice I have needed to replace those negative voices. Since taking the plunge to buy the book (spurred on by another reviewer who said he was finally drawing again every day) I have drawn every day for 2 weeks.....and I am enjoying it.All the angst and frustration that blocked me before has gone, and I am back in touch with the peace and enjoyment it used to give me when I was younger.

This is a delightfully friendly book, packed with drawings (which I wasn't expecting)and is not trying to make you a brilliant artist, just someone who is creatively engaged for your own pleasure. He focusses alot on journalling, rather than making works of art to share and impress, and that suits me right now, it takes the pressure off while you find your feet.

If you want the techniques of drawing, you need another book; some of the exercises he uses are basically from Betty Edwards - drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, and if you are already well motivated, then you may need a book like that. He admits himself that the book will not take you through all the skills needed for drawing, and makes really good recommendations for other books. This book is more about the joy of it, about getting you to see the place drawing can have in your life, how it helps you to engage at another level with your life and the people and things around you.

If you want to draw and don't think you can, or can and don't, or have some block, like I did, then this is definitely the book for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, friendly and down to earth - what else do you need?, 28 May 2006
Gyri Nørbech (Oslo, Norway) - See all my reviews
As a writer I've got lots of "how to write" books. Stephen King's "On Writing" is the best of those, giving an honest and personal insight into what works for him. I find Danny Gregory's book similar in it's approch, even if it has suggestion of tasks and is more of a How-to book than King's. It is informed with the same love, or need of the craft, and humane attitude. His instructions are easy to understand, and his attitude is never less than encouraging. Learning is a prosess he's got a very thourough understanding of.

If the proof of the reading is in the doing: Since I started reading it, I've begun re-writing a manuscript I've put off for ages, started a blog, started keeping a drawing journal and lost all shame of the whimsical photos I take. And I've only got as far as chapter 5 yet!

In short: an inspirational, friendly, fun and relaxed book. If you don't get a creative shot in the arm from it, enjoying Danny Gregory's own drawings is well worth the price!

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic in the making - and deservedly so., 6 May 2007
jakeone (Cambridge) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
What makes this book so extraordinary? It addresses the three greatest obstacles facing any aspiring artist: 1) "I can't draw/paint/sculpt etc.", 2) "What do I draw/paint/sculpt?" and 3) "Why do I want/need to draw/paint/sculpt?". This book tackles all these issues with great intelligence and simplicity. (In fact, by answering 1 and 2, you'll find 3 takes care of itself).

As a beginner I always felt that artists were born, not made. That you were either born creative and artistically gifted, or not. The author quickly proves this is not the case and - incredibly - gets you to prove it to yourself through a series of simple exercises from the very beginning.

I admire the fact that here is an author that has not lost sight of the true value of art - to express deep emotion and meaning - in short, the artist's "truth". It's not a "how-to" book (although there is a chapter that will improve anyone's drawing ability within minutes) but a guide to helping the "ordinary" man/woman in the street express themselves authentically, individually, artistically and to begin making sense of their own world and their own lives. That's an amazing achievement.

The result for me is that I now draw constantly - rarely does an hour pass without me sketching something. I cook more adventurous meals; I'm learning about graphic design; I write stories and articles; I listen to more diverse music (and find myself liking stuff I never thought I would); I've turned my hand at typography, photography - even new languages. In short, I've awoken to the world I live in and have connected to a more authentic me. Life has become far more rewarding and interesting.

One word of advice however. The book does not hold concrete answers. The author correctly states that he cannot take the path for you but he can guide you along the way. But, therein lies the true value of the endeavour - and the fun: to uncover something about yourself (that maybe you never knew) and to express it sincerely. And you know what? It's hugely rewarding and really not very difficult.

Whilst the book uses "drawing" for its examples, it is certainly applicable to any artistic endeavour.

Being creative needn't mean taking the cliche dark path of the tortured artist. Indeed, this book shows it's in the reach of all of us, immediately, and far from bringing torment and anxiety, it's a well of joy and satisfaction.

Anyone who is genuine about wanting to be more creative needs to read this.

5.0 out of 5 stars gets your creative juices flowing!, 25 Feb 2009
This book has given me back that urge to get drawing, sewing, painting sketching etc etc. Basically it has given me back that enthusiasim that i knew i had, i just needed something (being this book) and someone (Danny Gregory) to kick me up the backside, give me some confidence in my self, and my own capabilities, to get me back on my creative track! What i like about this book is that you don't have to be perfect at drawing, in fact it urges you to get rid of all the reasons why you feel you can't draw and just let yourself go ahead and bloody well do it! The fact that this book itself is filled with his own illustrations from his journal is instantly inspiring. The text may however put people off, as it is all handwritten. I found it quite easy to follow however some others may not get along with it, but it definitely goes along with the journalistic theme that runs throughout the book. I havn't yet fully read all of it, but find myself keep going back and forth searching for new words of inspiration which it certainly does! Bought alondside Creating a Life Worth Living by Carol Lloyd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Getting back into the groove, 9 Mar 2009
This book is fantastic I trained as a fine artist got all my skills then went back to work with children and have hardly done anything 'arty' since so I bought this book on a whim to kick start me. The exercises and familiar excuses are all there but I am working through and finding my confidence building up nicely. So anyone out there lost give it a go.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book!, 23 Feb 2009
Val R (South Wales) - See all my reviews
I received this book last week (Feb 09) and I love it! Full of ideas to get those creative juices flowing. I like the handwritten style - it makes you read more slowly to take it all in. Highly recommended to get over any creative block.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Kick in the Pants, 4 Dec 2008
wilson family (Orkney, Scotland) - See all my reviews
A great book - it has got myself and many many others drawing, journaling, and sketching! Well Done Danny! It's lay out is itself more like a journal and not a printed written book, but personally I found it great fun, and as stated it got me back drawing after many years absence and plugged me into an on-line community that shares its drawings and general art work. Buy the book get a pen and or pencil ready for its arrival.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 13 April 2009
Parka (Singapore) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Length:: 0:18 Mins

This book is full of pointers on drawing, on creating something on paper with ink. There are a lot of ideas on what to draw ,when (now) to draw but not how to draw. Every page feels like a call to put pen to paper.

The text is typeset in a handwriting font, which might make it hard to read for long periods of time. The good thing is this book can be picked up and read in portions from any page.

It's a very inspirational and motivating book to read, especially when in a artist block. As I finish the book, I begin to see objects in life differently. Everyone can have that creative license, as suggested by the book title.

There are more pictures of the book on my blog. Just visit my Amazon profile for the link.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Danny Gregory hit., 22 Oct 2010
Chris Shaw (The Shires, England.) - See all my reviews
This is the book for you if you can get over your inhibitions and insecurities and just go with Danny's flow. Anyone who doesn't like Danny Gregory's books has no soul or playful nature. Don't ignore all the lessons in his books because you think it's not cool to draw or write or follow any other kind of atistic venture, because believe me it is sooooh cool to take the advice given here and run with it, taking it in your own direction, producing art work of your own and not having to worry about what other people think of it, or beat yourself over the head with it because you don't think it's any good. As Danny said "there's no such thing as a bad drawing" You just have to enjoy the process of doing it and catch the bug which is easy to do if you keep an open mind and laugh along with Mr Gregory's infectious instructions. This book is absolutely fantastic as were his others and i would recomend it to anyone with a sense of fun and an ability to look at life with a kind and compassionate eye.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!, 25 May 2009
This book will get you drawing. I am not a trained artist and although I have always wanted to draw,I have never had the confidence to really have a go.This book has helped, and although some of my drawings are rubbish, I am getting better. Practice, a page a day in my sketchbook and I feel good.Last week I broke my wrist,of course the one I write/draw with and my first thought was I wouldn t be able to draw....So am having a go with my other hand,and it s amazing what I have done. Rather wonky but getting better. TREAT YOURSELF AND BUY THIS BOOK.

The Creative License: Giving Yourself Permission to be the Artist You Truly Are