Format: Hardcover|Change

on 29 December 2013
Initially I was fairly skeptical about the omnibus editions. My initial reason for picking up the first volume was it is was tricky (and expensive) to source the stories individually.

However, I am really pleased with both this first volume and the second volume.

The print quality is fantastic and the the book is really substantial (a word of warning this isn't one for a commute the volumes are big and they are heavy). Others have said they are disappointed with the lack of bonus material but if you are looking for the stories in a really high quality and substantial format this is for you.
on 28 December 2013
On the lookout for complete Sandman collections, I was undecided about buying the slip-cased paperback boxset or the premium Absolute editions, but then I realised that for less money (a LOT less in the case of the Absolutes) I could actually get these leather-bound omnibus beasts. I think it's safe to say that I made the right choice!

The two volumes are heavy but pleasingly so, both beautiful to look at and hold: genuinely admirable books that, content aside, are works of art in themselves. You'll really feel as though your money was spent on something substantial that will last, hopefully, for a lifetime.

The comics? Well, of course they're great. Enough said.

Get them before they sell out - or you'll regret it!
on 18 July 2016
Both this and Volume 2 are beautifully presented books and real effort has gone into presenting the artwork in stunning quality.

The stories themselves range from short one shots to ranging epics and with few exceptions they are all jewels.

I'm not going to kid you, the Absolute editions are still superior in terms of the artwork and the additional content but for me, for the money these are the best priced version.

The only real downside with these is the notorious Vertigo binding, it's not great and has already pulled away in a few places. Nothing structural but it is slightly irksome when you're paying £75 a pop.
on 21 March 2016
As a massive Neil gaimen fan I've read this whole series but wanted the collection.
Great story and now I have it in a stylish bound format.
Looks really well sitting on the shelves.
Only complaint is its a little hard to read, very heavy and I don't want to break the spine.
Tbh I didn't really buy it to read though so I'm happy with this.
on 24 February 2014
I bought this for my boyfriend as a gift and he absolutely loves it!
It's quite a heavy volume. Amazing colors! Think might have a ready after owner is done ;)
on 22 October 2013
I already have the paperback editions from years back but this hardcover omnibus caught my eye. When it arrived it is -- not very suprising -- rather heavy. The binding is very nice, covers too. However, the format is exactly the same as the paperbacks. Also after scrolling through some of the stories I realised that the content is also exactly the paperbacks (maybe some color retouching as other reported) but no bonus material, sketches, storyboards, introductions or ... anything. In comparison to the Hellboy Library editions for example I am a little bit disappointed, which is the 4 star rating. The sandman stories would earn the 5 stars -- but thats not the point in rating this special edition.
44 comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 April 2015
I have the individual comics,the paperbacks,the Absolutes,so must have the leatherbound omnibus volumes as well...a bit of a redundancy,you say?Of course,but collectors are collectors,insane,obsessive,unfathomable,even to ourselves.Extras are there none,the Absolutes have those,but this is one of the truly GREAT comic book series.It made Gaiman a real contender,with Alan Moore the title holder(and evermore shall be so,say I).Anyone interested in comics,fantasy,horror,and something far deeper should read the Sandman,a complete revision of the original crimefighter,who laid out the villians with a gas gun.So far removed,only the name remains the same.
NB Sandman,The Overture,the prequel to the original series,will be out in a deluxe edition in November.You cannot have a "complete"without this volume.I think it is the last Gaiman visit to this classic story.Amazon are taking pre orders now.Get yours in,in good time.
on 1 February 2014
Beautifully coloured, printed, bound, finished. Stunning comic. Possibly my favourite artefact. Sit in a big chair and feel like you're reading the Sandman right.
on 6 March 2014
WOW! My mind was blown from the very first issue of this omnibus,featuring the first 37 issues of the 75 issue run,(yup you need vol 2 as well to get the complete story). I can't recommend this enough fantastic writing & art throughout. If you want something totally different from the norm i.e superheroes this is it.

A COMIC BOOK FOR ADULTS
on 4 January 2014
Brilliant edition of the comics - need a table to read it on though as it is a heavy tome. The requirement for a set number of words is bonkers