Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop Black Friday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop Now Shop now

Format: PaperbackChange

The story running through issues #1-7 of DC Comics' New 52 series Red Hood and the Outlaws is collected as Red Hood and the Outlaws Volume 1: REDemption TP. This is an excellently scripted and illustrated story, that illuminates the history of each of the three main characters as the story unfolds, so that we know just how much of the `old' characters has made it into the New 52, and the answer seems to be enough of it (a few minor tweaks here and there) that these are still the Jason Todd, Roy Harper and Koriand'r that we once knew.

In this story, the three are drawn together by accident, and then into an adventure that explores the `new' aspects of Jason Todd's life, drawn from his days training with a mystical martial arts sect that I've never heard of before, which Talia al Ghul had enrolled him in following his resurrection. This is serious revision, but fits in to a hole in his back-story seamlessly. Koriand'r now has a few new (?) alien characteristics, such as a different sort of memory to humans, so while she can remember that there was someone called Nightwing in her past, it has no relevance to her life today (though Jason is livid at the sight of Dick's old uniforms in her wardrobes). I really don't know much about Roy Harper's life after his days as Speedy, or even whether `Speedy' was deleted in a previous Crisis.

Anyway, this is an all-action non-stop action-adventure sort of story, with extra violence and adult innuendo, so be warned. And then go and read it.
on 6 January 2015
I should like this comic but I just don't. I read a review where someone said it was juvenile and I have to agree. The premise is Jason Todd is found by Starfire who rescues him after he is wounded, he then proceeds to sex him up and then they decide to fight crime and get Arsenal from a maximum security prison. After that Todd decides they should all sort of fight crime while half not to maintain appearing cool on their deserted island with an alien space ship and then Starfire sexes up Arsenal. The plot then proceeds to discuss aliens and finally mystic old as time cults with supernatural assassins.

It just lacks the depth of other properly written DC comics. It wants to be Batman with a super intelligence protagonist but constantly points out Todd isn't Batman. It wants to be all sexy with Starfire being half dressed at all times, and undressed off scene the rest of the time but then never goes into that with any proper gusto so it feels more like titillation than any actual attempt at story telling and well Arsenal is the least compelling hero I've come across in years. There is down on your luck and great fighter anti hero etc etc and then there is just down on your luck z list hero.

It is a shame, I like the Red Hood I think he is a great hero and Arsenal and Starfire in Death of the Family actually come across as very mature and wise but in their own series they don't.

Get this if you want to see but if there was a fire I wouldn't be running to save this one (of course after my family and pets are safe).
on 12 November 2013
I've read a fair few new 52 titles but none off them have made me smile quite as much as this one, yes it is a bit juvenile and very over sexed (and I mean VERY) but it also has great humour and also surprisingly a lot of heart (get to the bit about Jason's most cherished memory and you'll see what I mean).

The three protagonists are Jason 'Red Hood' Todd ex-robin, ex-villain and ex-corpse a man still trying to come to terms with his death and revival, Roy 'Arsenal' Harper discarded sidekick of Green Arrow with a loud mouth and a history of addiction and Princess Koriand'r an alien princess with memory issues known as Starfire and the theme off the book is these three highly damaged heroes coming together because frankly they are all each other have, and this is really the central concept these three realising that although they prefer to work alone and have huge trust issues and varying amounts of emotion trauma that there is a place in the world for them together.

Now on the whole this is a great book good art, a lot of action plenty of humour and as I mentioned before a surprised amount of heart underneath it to hold it all together (there also is a plot about mystical shapeshifters and revenge but really the heroes are the story here) there is one slightly contentious issues surrounding the objectifying of Starfire, I personally didn't see much of an issue Starfire has always been quite sexually liberated but you may find they have taken it a bit far, so if you have misgivings about that kind off thing you may want to give this book a miss, otherwise if you're unsure about this title give it a go, it's not highbrow but it is fun.
on 20 February 2014
I came into this book because I like Batman and I wanted another read within the batfamily and although I wasn't too stoked on the nightwing book, I really enjoyed this, they made redhood a fresh feeling character and I understood and emphasised with his plight, the comedy in it is well balanced and doesn't feel forced or too stupid, it has some mint action and character development and I would highly recommend this to anyone who likes a witty, laid back and fun character. I have to admit I really do like this character
on 30 June 2014
Red Hood is intriguing to me, as I had never heard of the character before I started the new 52. I've read the whole "Death of a Family" arc and the Red Hood volume was good enough that I had to backtrack and find out more about him. Of course throughout all my DC reading he's popped up here and there but only very briefly. Roy Harper has made a few brief pre-Arsenal appearances as well. This volume has great dialogue and is very comedic. If you love banter among JL team members, there is a great deal of that going on here and it really made me like both Roy and Jason. Princess K we don't get to know very well but she's very powerful and everything mentioned about her past is very intriguing. Lots of action in this volume as we have a couple of side stories going on but the main theme centres on the new "team" tracking down the "Untitled" and finishing off the remaining members. A lot of Jason's background with the "All" is explored and I feel much more familiar with the character now. Interesting tidbit shows Nightwing's old blue costume having been left aboard Starfire's hideaway when Jason first finds her.
on 29 May 2013
This book is awesome. I was familiar with Jason Todd/Red Hood from the books Death in the family and under the hood. I was not so sure about Roy Harper. So this book was the perfect starting point. I am hooked and pre-ordered the second volume, and brought the individual issues. Well recommend.
on 2 January 2013
Having gotten back into comic books over the past year or so I have been thoroughly impressed by The New 52 relaunch and having amassed a fairly large number of 'Volume 1's' Redemption was the last one of 2012 I acquired. I knew very little of Arsenal and Starfire and only a little of Jason Todd's history as Red Hood (as a teenager many moons ago I remember reading A Death In The Family and feeling loss at what seemingly happened to him at the hands of the Joker). I more or less 'grew out' of comic books after that so whilst been aware of the Red Hood's existence over the years was ignorant to his identity.

Anyhow, enough of my backstory. This graphic novel worked on so many levels for me - I thoroughly enjoyed it and cannot wait for the next installment. I have read reviews where the title has been criticised as sexualising some of its main characters (anyone reading it will know what I mean!) however I say 'don't read it then! and pick up something more child friendly!'

The characters evolve nicely over the course of the book and there are several great action sequences with an interesting storyline running through it. I won't give any spoilers away. My receommendation - buy it!!
on 24 May 2013
This book is definetly worth a try, the storyline is great, very enjoyable, the characters are likable and funny when needed, the art is fantastic, it’s good to look at. I recommend this book to anyone who loves comics or just interested in getting to know the genre.
on 20 March 2013
Really fantastic addition to the New 52, Great Artwork and really fun to read. It's totally diffrent to all the other Batman related books and feels new and freash. Can't wait for the next one!
on 24 August 2014
I grew up with Jason Todd's Robin so it's great to see the love for the character grow now his adult origin is all re-established. The New 52 continuity rules confuses things but it's worth getting past that and enjoying this book for the fun read it is. Whilst I think Todd works best as a street-level character I think this alternative team has a great punk-rock chemistry and the dubious morality leads to some genuinely witty moments throughout. I'm not a huge fan of big silly space monsters etc but somehow it works and I'd be very interested to see where things go.