Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 18 December 2012
Dick Grayson sheds Batman's cowl and slips back into the cape-less, newly re-coloured Nightwing outfit. Dick's old stomping ground, Haly's Circus, is back in town and the past comes crowding back as familiar faces bring haunted memories of the night he lost his parents - The Flying Graysons - in an acrobatic disaster. But mystery shrouds everything as a vicious figure with claws - talons? - is hunting Nightwing, enigmatically labelling Grayson "Gotham's fiercest killer". And Dick's about to find out his beloved circus has a dark, dark past...

First off, Dick Grayson as Batman was a great step forward and I would've liked to see him continue in that role. Bruce as figurehead of the Batman Inc., globetrotting and overseeing the construction of a massive, non-superpowered global crime-fighting organisation with Dick as the Batman of Gotham in his absence is a fantastic setup. I know the Batman Inc. story continues but seeing Dick take off the cowl and go back to his Nightwing persona feels like a step back even if Dick doesn't seem to mind. But I think he would mind - he was Batman! Now he's Nightwing with a much more limited arsenal and a smaller status. Kyle Higgins doesn't really explore this though and launches straight into the series with barely a nod to the events of the last 2 years - it feels vastly underwritten.

While there is potential in exploring Dick's past with the circus, I hate how DC feel the need to go back and muddy the waters with their characters' histories. They love making their past "dark" and "gritty" and do it all the time, to excess. Dick's life in the circus was a good one, that's why his loss is so tragic. But by going back and making the circus seem like a hellish ground where horrible things were done to children, it doesn't seem so tragic. While the loss of his parents is sad, in light of the revelations in this book it could be seen as a positive as he was definitely better off out of that place! Especially as if he had stayed, he would've ended up as a severely damaged adult, if not dead.

The Haly's Circus-gone-wrong angle ties in with Scott Snyder's "Court of Owls" without really adding much to that story arc. The events in "Owls" is repeated, the only real addition being Haly's Circus' involvement with the Court - which only throws up more questions. And how is it, in the 21st century, circuses are so popular that this many people would show up to watch acrobats? This isn't "Cirque du Soleil", this is a straight-up old-school circus with acrobats, clowns, and even a bearded woman! I just don't buy that thousands of people, in this day and age, would pay to see that. There are also a couple of big plot holes that bothered me but I won't spoil them here.

Anyway, it's a solid start to the series if not a particularly brilliant book. The meandering story sags a bit in the middle while the ending is predictably bombastic with no real surprises. Kyle Higgins has written some good books in "Batman: Gates of Gotham" and "Deathstroke: Legacy" but I found "Nightwing" to be a very ordinary book for a character whose background and recent history has the potential to produce a far more enticing book. Like Grayson stepping down from Batman to Nightwing, I feel that DC have done the character a disservice and by giving him a formulaic superhero storyline instead of a braver, more interesting direction to develop him further. "Nightwing" is a missed opportunity in the end, and after a superlative turn as Batman in "The Black Mirror", I feel he deserved better than this.

Oh, and Alfred's comb-over in this book should be arrested, it's so bad!
on 24 October 2013
DC's new 52 re-boot is frankly a mixed bag, some good some bad (some awful) Nightwing fits well into the good category and may just be among the best of the bunch.

The main strands of the story are Richard "Dick" Grayson's past as a member of Haly's circus and his desire to make something of himself away from Batman and these areas are both well addressed as is the link in to the wider owls storyline from Batman (you do not need to have read Batman to enjoy this, all the information you need is given to you) Grayson in his Nightwing persona has always been a favourite of mine (didn't mind him as Robin or Batman but Nightwing has always felt the best fit for the character) and this has really captured the essence of what the character should be similar to Batman in many ways but not the same by any means, there are also some bat family cameos but these don't override the fact this is the Nightwing show, if they had tried to make him just dance to Batman's tune it would have felt very wrong but the sense of him still been part of the family but his own man is well played.

So overall good plot, art and character development make this one fine collection and it sets thing up for the next stage nicely, my one fault is the costume it reminds me of the robin costume from Batman and Robin and anything that reminds me of hat film is a bad thing, no only kidding the one fault is that one of the stories goes off at a bit of a tangent and doesn't fit in well with the rest, other then that I would say if your looking at getting into the new 52 or want to expand your reading I would recommend Nightwing very highly.
on 12 June 2014
I love Nightwing!! What a wonderful start for Dick Grayson in The New 52! I first really got to know Nightwing when I read Vol. 3 as I read through the "Death of a Family" arc and I ordered Vol. 1 & 2 right away as I knew I had to follow him from the beginning. He is one of my favourite Gotham characters. This first volume pretty much starts Nightwing off where he was pre-52, coming off of being The Batman and returning to his own beloved Nightwing. Dick meets up with Haly's Circus again and old friends, though not much backstory is given for him yet, we do get secondhand information, the tale of his parents death and a good feel for where he came from. This is pretty much a self-contained story that ends by the final issue and was a thrilling read with lots of surprises. Dick faces new enemies and only briefly crosses paths with Batgirl so not a lot of familiar faces leaving Nightwing as the main focus. The final issue brings in a small tie to the Court of Owls (which I've read) which was exciting (for me) to get that extra tidbit. Then the book sets up the beginning of the next arc. The art is fantastic. I adore Nightwing's costume and can't wait to catch up with Volume 2.
on 20 October 2012
Kyle Higgins - Potentially, in my opinion, one of the best writers ever to take up the mantle of Nightwing (and I don't say that lightly!)
We've had some fantastic stories involving Nightwing before, from top tier talent, but I just feel that Kyle Higgins really understands the Nightwing that I have loved for so many years.
I won't go in to the story, as it really irks me when I read a spoiler in a review, but I will say this; the story is clever, the art is unmatchable (truly, it's so great), and the price is cheap.
If you want a great read, pick this up. You will not regret it.
on 29 October 2012
Having rediscovered a childhood interest in DC characters I have slowly immersed myself into The New 52 - in total I have collected around 12/13 of the titles and enjoyed every volume I have read. Batman is my all time favourite hero of them all and have not been disappointed with any of his titles. After enjoying 'The Court Of Owls' and getting a brief insight at the conclusion of that volume into Dick Grayson's 'true' origins I became intrigued and wanted to learn more.

Jump forward many months and I have just read Nightwing:Volume 1 Traps and Trapezes in one sitting. This was a graphic novel I couldn't put down! As Robin, Dick Grayson could never be anything more than Batman's side-kick - now he's a character strong enough to rival the Caped Crusader himself. There is much depth given to the character fleshing out his origins and mirrowing the personaity of his former mentor. There is a very clever link to The Court Of Owls at the conclusion of this story and to fully appreciate the impact you should probably read this novel alongside Batman's Volume 1.

I won't reveal anything of the plot but will say that Nightwing may just be my second favourite hero.
on 9 December 2013
I picked this up recently when most of the first volumes of the new 52 titles had been on sale at £1.88. The artwork is good,clean,nice and easy to make out. The story is ok and I wanted it to be really good but at times it felt flat, the biggest problem I had with it was that the end of the book tied into another characters book (no spoilers here!) And this made me feel that Nightwings story was dictated by other story. I hope to check out volume 2 at some point and hopefully it's better than this average volume.
on 27 December 2014
I wanted to rate this 3 stars, but that is perhaps unfair.

The first three chapters are stupidly boring. Essentially Dick goes back to the circus and inherits it after the death of the circus master. A killer is blaming Dick for something, knows he's Nightwing, and is trying to kill him. Seriously nothing special.

The next three chapters are more entertaining. Essentially Dick finds out why he is being targeted. What makes this second part more entertaining was how it tied in with the Batman Court of Owls volume, which is a brilliant story itself. The final pages of that story are also the final papers of this one, which helped to make more sense of both stories. I found that a neat little trick and enriched the former.

So, worth the money? Well I bought it on sale but essentially would have been happy buying the last three chapters on their own. I nearly gave up after the first two and at least I'm glad to pushed through to the end.

A big complaint I had was that I bought this book on kindle and some of the frames in chapters 1 to 3 are so small you really struggled to read the text boxes without the frame zoom function. This is not something that the final three suffered from (go figure - no idea why).

Overall, I can't say I'm in any rush to buy volume 2.
on 23 January 2013
I've recently been reading all the DC comics I can lay my hands on, and I have to say Nightwing Volume 1 is one of my favourites. The story does a great job of re-introducing the Nightwing character. The comic is well paced, and it fits in with other titles well. Not to spoil anything, but at the end you get to see Nightwings side of a conversation he has with Batman in another of the new 52 titles. I thought this was a great touch and helped to flesh out the character.

The artwork is great, and helps reflect the fast paced action. The storyline is very enjoyable and contains the type of witty humour fans of Dick Grayson would expect.

I'm glad I bought this title and look forward to reading the second volume.
on 3 November 2013
I personally think this has some of the best artwork in the dc universe. I thought the story line was fantastic. I'm also a fan of how allt the batman related comics connect, even if it is just to make more money.
on 14 October 2015
After having read the Black Mirror graphic novel I wanted to see what adventures Dick Grayson got up to next! I really enjoyed this volume! It tells a really good story (that's linked to his past) and even ties in with the court of the owls! The artwork is superb and it made me purchase volume 2. It is also serves as a good jumping on point for anybody to get into Nightwing although I would recommend you read the book I mentioned at the top first as that really is a superb story too!