4.0 out of 5 stars World War V, 11 May 2014
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
The story running through issues #1-6 of DC Comics’ New 52 series, ‘I, Vampire’, is collected as I, Vampire Volume 1: Tainted Love TP. I remember little of the original ‘I, Vampire’ series, other than cravats and goblets of blood; this new one is extremely modern and widescreen, with spectacular artwork. The scripting has this extremely old vampire and his on-again off-again girlfriend, Mary, Queen of Blood, looking, dressing and talking like modern-day twenty-somethings off of the TV or the silver-screen. However, that doesn’t matter, because the story flows along so smoothly. The basic plot is that Mary (Queen of Blood) has decided to start a war against humanity and reclaim the streets for vampires. Naturally, our hero Andrew Bennett feels obliged to stop her. Unfortunately, Mary has been planning this for some time, and he quickly finds himself out of is depth, in Gotham allied to Batman and a few new and old cast members, and subject to advice from John Constantine. It doesn’t end well, and an even ancienter evil is eventually released…

Despite my own preferences and a slight aversion to the supernatural (despite being a fan of Doctor Strange since the 1960s), this was a really entertaining comic, with a fast moving story featuring superb artwork and excellent scripting.

4.0 out of 5 stars World War V, 4 Jan 2014
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
The story running through issues #1-6 of DC Comics' New 52 series, `I, Vampire', is collected as I, Vampire Volume 1: Tainted Love TP. I remember little of the original `I, Vampire' series, other than cravats and goblets of blood; this new one is extremely modern and widescreen, with spectacular artwork. The scripting has this extremely old vampire and his on-again off-again girlfriend, Mary, Queen of Blood, looking, dressing and talking like modern-day twenty-somethings off of the TV or the silver-screen. However, that doesn't matter, because the story flows along so smoothly. The basic plot is that Mary (Queen of Blood) has decided to start a war against humanity and reclaim the streets for vampires. Naturally, our hero Andrew Bennett feels obliged to stop her. Unfortunately, Mary has been planning this for some time, and he quickly finds himself out of is depth, in Gotham allied to Batman and a few new and old cast members, and subject to advice from John Constantine. It doesn't end well, and an even ancienter evil is eventually released...

4.0 out of 5 stars World War V, 4 Jan 2014
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: I, Vampire Volume 1: Tainted Love TP (Paperback)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great New Intro for Andrew Bennett, 14 Jun 2014
This review is from: I, Vampire Volume 1: Tainted Love TP (Paperback)
When everything is said and done, this is simply a good vampire story, nevermind that Batman shows up near the end. This is my first introduction to the Andrew Bennett story arc, though I've come across him in JLD. Mary is gathering together all the vampires to take over the world, and plans mass human turnings to add to her ranks. Andrew is out to put a stop to her and gets some help from John Constantine and Batman, though The Bat has to be convinced not to kill the vampire Bennett himself, first. A very dark story with vampires the way they should be: evil, ugly killers. Even Andrew turns into an ugly beast when he gets his full-on fury going. The backstory between Mary and Andrew is weaved throughout in either flashbacks or just dialogue between characters. A satisfying read which presents a fine vampire story while also fleshing out the characters with their back stories. The artwork matches the mood of the story and is very dark using black, browns, army green and artistic touches of red. There are only two more volumes in this series and I plan on reading them as they do involve a few characters from Justice League Dark of which I'm a huge fan.

I, Vampire Volume 1: Tainted Love TP
I, Vampire Volume 1: Tainted Love TP by Joshua Hale Fialkov (Paperback - 3 Oct 2012)