4.0 out of 5 stars The first time I've read a graphic novel on my Kindle Fire!
Published 12 months ago by Sarah Durston

3.0 out of 5 stars Female Alien James Bond
Priscilla Kitaen aka Voodoo is the hottest stripper in New Orleans but the Feds are tailing her - because she's actually a shape-shifting alien trying to steal secrets about the Justice League to pave the way for her race's invasion of Earth!

Published 14 months ago by Noel

3.0 out of 5 stars Female Alien James Bond, 9 Feb 2013
Noel - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Voodoo TP Vol 01 What Lies Beneath (Paperback)

Maybe it's because I wasn't expecting anything from this, but Voodoo wasn't bad. Being a character from the early `90s series "WildCATS", she's not exactly the most famous or the most obvious choice for their own series but Ron Marz does a decent job of crafting an intriguing cat-and-mouse story between Voodoo and Fallon, an agent of the Black Razors, as Voodoo tries to complete her alien espionage mission. The first issue might put female readers off for being so gratuitous in the T&A department - Voodoo does one striptease after the next - but the action quickly moves away from the strip club in New Orleans to less exploitative surroundings.

Green Lantern Kyle Rayner pops in for one issue which was fun if only for the imaginative constructs Marz gave Rayner for his ring (green cartoony woodland sprites!), and it was interesting to learn about Voodoo's character - yeah, character work in a New 52 book! The Daemonites appear in this book, the alien villains from "Grifter" and "Stormwatch", and though they look cool and menacing, they continue to be easily defeated as they were in those other books making them unsatisfactory villains.

Also, Voodoo's story was confusing. It seems peculiar to have a character working for an alien race seemingly intent on the enslavement of humanity as the hero of the book; an alien Mata Hari working for the enemy - and we're supposed to be on her side? It doesn't seem that straightforward but I'm not sure what she's really about either. She's with them, she's against them - I'm not clear on what's going on exactly. And then the ending literally doubles the confusion.

It's an enjoyable enough start to this series with a mysterious protagonist coupled with an exciting, fast paced plot, but it's story was a bit too unfocused and the supporting cast a little too bland (Fallon in particular didn't seem to be an interesting nemesis). It's definitely not up there with the best in the New 52 but, for one of the little known titles in the lineup, it's not a bad read.

4.0 out of 5 stars The first time I've read a graphic novel on my Kindle Fire!, 15 April 2013
Sarah Durston (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Although I love my Kindle Fire I've been very hesitant about using it to read graphic novels. Frankly I shouldn't have been! The artwork in Voodoo is stunning but the HD quality really enhances the experience. The Kindle Fire also has a facility which allows you to view the page in its entirety whilst also highlighting and bringing to the fore the pane you are reading which I thought was really clever!

So far as the story goes; I love Voodoo as a character and the first two parts to the story were exciting and slightly unexpected but then it seemed to peter out a little. Voodoo is an alien shape-shifter disguised as a New Orlean's Stripper in order to gather information about the Justice League. Beyond that the aim of the mission is slightly muddled and unclear but she is deemed of sufficient danger for the FBI to be after her!

I understand that the Voodoo stories have now been decommissioned by DC so I'm not sure I'll bother with the second instalment, but I'd heartily recommend the Catwoman novels in the `DC New 52' range if you're seeking a strong female protagonist.

ARRAY(0xa80c09cc)

Voodoo TP Vol 01 What Lies Beneath
Voodoo TP Vol 01 What Lies Beneath by Sami Basri (Paperback - 9 Oct 2012)
9.52