5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic content; shame the book is just too damn big.
I love the Invisibles. I loved it when it first came out and I've loved crawling through this Omnibus edition. It bears rereading; I've read it four times now and got something new out of it each time.

My criticisms of this edition are, paradoxically, that it is not quite complete and that it is too big.

It is incomplete because, for a completist...
Published 16 months ago by James Graham

2.0 out of 5 stars Yes, size does matter
No, it's not that Grant Morrison's opus magnum is disappointing, I haven't even started reading it. It's just about the size. Over fifteen hundred pages is just just too much for one comic book. That's a monster you can barely lift with one hand. Forget about any comfort of reading, and I have my concerns about its longevity as well.

What a shame that DC have...
Published on 10 Nov 2012 by Komediant

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic content; shame the book is just too damn big., 15 Aug 2013
James Graham "jamesgraham" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Invisibles Omnibus (Hardcover)

It is incomplete because, for a completist like me, it lacks three important items: the letter column editorials by Mark Millar when Morrison was in intensive care (presumably because of the fall out between Millar and Morrison), the short story "I'm a policeman" from Sarah Champion's anthology Disco 2000 which is very much a companion piece to the story "And we're all policemen" which is included; and "It was the 90s" - another text piece from another anthology edited by Sarah Champion called Fortune Hotel.

It's too big because, well, at over 1,500 pages, my arm feels like it is going to fall off every time I hold it for more than 2 minutes. Indeed, the size is what has lead to it taking me so long to read - you can't take it anywhere! I was thinking at one stage of getting a lecturn just so I could read this book, but decided that was going too far.

My perfect edition would be a three volume slipcase edition - one for each of the main arcs - with all the additional companion text pieces mentioned above included. But for now, this will have to do.

A final note: if you do want to read more deeply, not only are Flex Mentallo and the Filth required reading, working as they do as companion pieces, but so are Zenith and Final Crisis. I kind of feel that Morrison has been telling the same story again and again for 30 years which would be a criticism if he didn't do it so damn well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Smile indeed!, 25 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Invisibles Omnibus (Hardcover)
I missed Invisibles when it came out years ago. I'm very familiar with Morrison's work but I've always been more hooked into the likes of Sandman, Watchmen, Authority, The Boys, Y-The Last Man, Ex Machina, Planetary... I had a feeling that Invisibles would easily fit into that group.

And it does!

Although, omnibus is a handful. It makes you stay up pretty late several nights in a row.

5.0 out of 5 stars Complex story depth and Entertaining, 22 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Invisibles Omnibus (Hardcover)
I never read the invisibles before buying this collection.
I have to say it is a slow read but very enjoyable.
What makes it slow is the depth of story and the understanding of the characters.
Arguable Grant Morrison's best work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 9 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Invisibles Omnibus (Hardcover)
A heavy, amazing book from the author we all know and love. If you're not a Morrison fan, stay away until you become more familiarized with his work; or dive into this outstanding world.

Also, a kudos for the packaging. Best one from TheBookDepository yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Invisibles Omnibus (Hardcover)
Giant ovesize omnibus... al in! :)

2.0 out of 5 stars Yes, size does matter, 10 Nov 2012
Komediant (Newcastle, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Invisibles Omnibus (Hardcover)

What a shame that DC have not decided to split it into two volumes (with slipcase this would be perfect), two ~ 750-800 pages would work out so much better... There's many more interesting Vertigo series out there deserving omnibus treatment, like Milligan's Shade, Aaron's Scalped, Wagner's Sandman Mystery Theatre or Morrison's Doom Patrol and Animal Man. Having similar length, I just hope that DC editors will have some common sense and more respect for readers, and publish them in smaller, wieldier books.

This one's just to freakin' large.

The Invisibles Omnibus
The Invisibles Omnibus by Grant Morrison (Hardcover - 22 Aug 2012)