5.0 out of 5 stars "This town ain't big enough for two homicidal maniacs"
A serial killer who dispatches with his victims on notable dates of the calendar gets nicknamed "Holiday" by the media, but he's killing Falcone's gangsters - the organised crime group who hold Gotham to ransom - he may be inadvertently cleaning up the city but he's still breaking the law. The trinity guardianship of James Gordon, Harvey Dent and the Batman make a pact to...
Published on 17 Mar 2012 by @GeekZilla9000

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best
I was expecting to really enjoy this, but came away quite disappointed. Despite some brilliant artwork, the writing really lets it down, especially in the case of some truly terrible dialogue. The story itself is pretty unimaginative (and, as other reviewers have pointed out, contains a "twist" at the end that really doesn't make much sense) and Batman never seems to take...
Published on 19 Feb 2011 by charlie

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Batman ever written, 23 Jan 2012
This is undoubtedly the best Batman graphic novel I have ever read, and I have read a lot. The effective stylistic drawings, with every picture full of symbols and powerful messages. Before this book I thought no one could beat Frank Miller, but Loeb showed me totally different approach to this theme.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality!, 13 Dec 2013
This review is from: Batman The Long Halloween TP (Paperback)
Arrived in time. I enjoyed reading it. Not the best, but one of the best comics with Batman. A must have.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, but nothing special, 26 Feb 2013
Anders Stage - See all my reviews
This review is from: Batman The Long Halloween TP (Paperback)
I just finished reading "The Long Halloween" and I must say that the plot is rather thin. Though entertaining and very well drawn, I find that the story at times gives a little too much away where a little more mystery could have flavoured the story significantly.

But there is an interesting twist in the end, and the story was good enough that I wanted to finish it. So if you want a taste of what a typical Batman-story is like, give it a go, otherwise I do not think it is anything special.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like Batman, you want this!, 16 Sep 2009
P. Knott - See all my reviews
This review is from: Batman: Long Halloween (Paperback)
I like Batman, but a comic book or graphic novel would have to be really special to be called a masterpiece by me. However, I love this book so much, I will say- It's a masterpiece! If Christopher Nolan had just adapted this to film instead of making "The Dark Knight", he'd be much richer, and us comic fans would be more satisfied!

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic graphic novel, 8 Jan 2009
RR (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Batman: Long Halloween (Paperback)
As a longtime Marvel fan, I rarely dabble with DC. This was recommended to me and even if I wasn't a comic book fan I'd still recommend this to anyone with a set of eyeballs and a grasp of the English language. It's a great novel and story even if you have never heard of Batman. As a fan of Jim Lee-style artwork, I was a bit dubious about the art at first, but this stuff is so atmospheric and tight that I'm now a convert.

Not sure how it fits into the Batman canon since I'm not a regular reader, but it has prompted me to purchase Dark Victory and Hush, both of which I would again recommend highly to any comic fan or simply someone who likes a good, intelligent story.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Batman's ever been., 5 Dec 2011
Search for a 'top ten Batman stories' article on the internet, and you're sure to find The Dark Knight Returns or year one at the top of the list. Now, not to offend Miller, but whilst I love the aforementioned stories, The Long Halloween holds a special place in my heart. As much as I detest Jeph Loeb for what he did to the ultimate universe and indeed the Incredible Hulk, there's no denying the excellence of this story, from the stylish, noir esque artstyle, to the brilliant characterisations (with a few exceptions). But what is it that makes the story so memorable, at least to me?

The story is, on initial glance, your typical Loeb mystery, consisting of a gloved serial killer murdering Gotham's gangsters once every holiday, whether it be Halloween or Christmas to numerous others. Set in the early, pre Robin, pre Two Face era of Batman stories, it focuses on Bats, Jim Gordon and Harvey Dent attempting to take down Gotham's chief gangster, The Roman, and uncover the identity of the 'Holiday' killer. But what makes LH (as it will be shortened to from here on in) so memorable, is how it delves into the mindset and actions of its many stars. There's a vast, detailed criminal underworld at play here, evocative of the Godfather. Then there's Batman and Catwoman's excellent relationship, one only better portaryed in Paul Dini's 'Heart Of Hush' storyline and then there's the tragic story of Harvey Dent's fall from grace. It would be incredibly easy for us to not give two hoots over the fate of the book's heroes and villains, but Loeb ensures we DO care. The dialogue feels, for the most part, straight from the heart of the characters and the way it blends gangsters and supervillains so masterfully is a rare feat within comics. It has it's flaws though. Loeb degrades Scarecrow and Mad Hatter to characterless characters who can only speak through nursery rhymes and extracts of Alice in Wonderland. It's clear he has no appreciation for what makes these two tick, and whilst the constant quoting could've been creepy, it's overused and just feels utterly random. Which is an extra shame considering that Tim Sale (the book's artist) draws easily the best portrayal of Scarecrow ever put to print. The Riddler also, is portrayed as perticularly pathetic, and whilst you could argue all criminals are pathetic, the Riddler is supposed to carry a smart arrogance around with him, not be reduced to a trouser soiling fool with every encounter of Batman.

As for the artwork, Tim Sale is perhaps my very favorite Batman artist, rivalled only by Jim Lee. Unlike Jim Lee though, Sale has something of an obsession with contrasts in both size and color, which is extra evident in this book's sequel: Dark Victory. The Batman of Long Halloween is a shadowy figure of the night who towers over all of his co stars, whilst the Joker has a ridiculously toothy grin and lanky frame which may not be to everyone's taste. In my opinion though, these are some of the best representations of these famous characters ever. The villains look freakish and like something out of an LSD fuelled phycopath's imagination, whilst the average gotham citizen provides us with a stark contrast. The handsome charms of Harvey Dent rival the bubbling scars of Two Face perfectly, whilst Bruce Wayne with his overly muscular body and good lucks, share just enough resemblance yet difference to Batman, it's easy to believe these two are the same man.

With the finest Two Face origin story ever written included within its pages, some beautiful artwork and a memorable story, The Long Halloween is my favorite Batman story ever written. Whilst in my opinion this edition has a slightly weaker cover (which is why I'm glad I purchased it a few months prior) there's no denying it has no actual effect on the content within. If you're new to Batman and looking for a story to sink your teeth into this is it. Forget about Year One or The Dark Knight Returns, Loeb and Sale grab hold of you from the first chapter and ensure you'll have this pretty thick novel read in a matter of hours.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not that special if you aren't a huge fan of crime fiction, 7 Oct 2008
Bob Grist (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Batman: Long Halloween (Paperback)
I have to state that I'm not a great lover of the noir graphic novel, and I sometimes think that Batman's enemies are more interesting than the man himself. I did approach this title with an open mind, though, as I had enjoyed Batman books in the past, such as Alan Moore's superb Batman: The Killing Joke and Frank Miller's take on the Dark Knight.

However, I have two problems with this book. Firstly, I didn't like Tim Sale's artwork very much - so already I'm on to a loser. I found it flat and dark and uninspiring. I much prefer a more detailed and bright artwork, such as that by the likes of Gary Frank, John Cassaday or Frank Quiteley. Secondly, well, the story itself was ever so simplistic and there was little in the way of true introspection from any of the characters, particularly Batman himself. The regular rogues gallery - the likes of The Riddler and The Joker et al. - seemed shoe-horned into the story, and their inclusion didn't quite gel with what was going on. Worst of all was the fact that the fears of the gangsters, who are being picked off on various public holidays, were never shown in anyway, so we had victims who we felt absolutely no connection with; just faceless individuals who became faceless corpses. If Mr Loeb had concentrated more on their plight, picked out a few individuals amongst them, shown their backgrounds and family lives, then allowed us to feel a strong and palpable sense of their dread over what was happening to their peers and what could happen to them, then I would have been far more intrigued.

So, not for me, no, but seeing as, for example, this book has garnered 77 five star reviews on Amazon.com alone, I am obviously the exception which proves the rule.

4.0 out of 5 stars Batman. The Long Halloween, 22 Feb 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Batman: Long Halloween (Paperback)
I have been an on and off fan of the Batman comics for since the eighties ever since I received The Greatest Batman Stories Ever Told as a gift. Batman the Long Halloween is one of the better stories.
The story is essentially a mystery as the various players in Gotham city attempt to unravel the identity of a murderer called Holiday. It's a clever story that integrates the main story with the origin of two-face. The writers know there characters well and you get the feeling while reading it that a hell of a lot of planning went into it. The artwork is bold and nightmarish.
The only negative thing I can say about it is that it doesn't reinvent or reveal anything new in character of Batman the way Year One or the Killing Joke did. The Long Halloween is a brilliantly crafted story but it doesn't have the artistry to become an all time classic.

2.0 out of 5 stars Style over substance, 6 May 2012
Jack Heslop - See all my reviews
This review is from: Batman: Long Halloween (Paperback)
I'm not sure what Christopher Nolan, who described The Long Halloween as "an epic tragedy", saw in this book. His Batman films are masterpieces, but this was a routine thriller soaked in depression to make it seem like more. The conclusion made no sense, the dialogue was banal and the characters could only frown. There wasn't a great deal of introspection from anyone so the morbid tone was unjustified, and I'm not sure a single scene took place in daylight. I know this is noir, but the best noirs are defined by their playfulness. The Long Halloween is po-faced throughout.
Stories like Harvey Dent's trasnformation were treated perfunctorarily, as if the creators knew they'd been told better a thousand times before. Dent wasn't much of a hero to begin with (at one point he suggests turning loose criminals to see if they'll be killed by a crime boss) so his descent didn't mean much anyway. It's been a while since I've watched The Dark Knight, but I seem to remember him being portrayed as an idealist destroyed by random violence. Here he was cold and hard from the beginning. I can't picture Nolan drawing much from the Dent of this 90s graphic novel. Batman was a bit more sympathetic, but like Dent, Gordon and other recurring characters he seemed taken for granted.
The artwork, though lacking a wide variety of colours, is often impressive. There's a beautiful image of Batman standing on a penthouse balcony, and a two-page spread of several villains in a crime boss' office. I'm tempted to recommended the book just for the art, but for regular readers of graphic novels I'm sure it's nothing new.
The conclusion, as I've said, made no sense. I won't drop spoilers, but once you've read it ask yourself this: what did the killer think happened on the ferry during New Year's? Many more questions are raised, but that's the only one I can pose without risking spoilers.

5.0 out of 5 stars The very DARK Knight, 16 Jan 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Batman: Long Halloween (Paperback)
A classic Batman tale, very well illustrated, which has an effective gothic feel. The gangster storyline, along with a retelling of the Two-Face origin story, captivated from the first page. The murder mystery story is very film noir as are the motivations and characteristics of the major players. All this and a full house of classic Batman villains! Buy it!

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 | Next ›

Batman The Long Halloween TP
Batman The Long Halloween TP by Jeph Loeb (Paperback - 5 Oct 2011)
12.91