Format: Paperback|Change

The comic-book stories from Batman Animated creators Paul Dini and Bruce Timm are collected as Batman Mad Love And Other Stories TP. They are collected from - The Batman Adventures: Mad Love; The Batman Adventures Annual #1 & #2; The Batman Adventures: Holiday Special #1; Adventures in the DC Universe #3; Batman Black and White #1; The Batman Adventures: Dangerous Dames & Demons; Batgirl Adventures #1; Batman Gotham Adventures #10; and Batman Adventures #3. The copyright dates are 1994-1999 & 2003.

These are simply some of the best Batman stories that I have read, and I have been reading Batman stories for more than 50 years, and having read all the Archive editions, I'm claiming another 10-12 years credit also. There are many brilliant panels and scenes, some sad ones, and a couple of hysterical ones that had me laughing out loud, which is not a good thing at my age, but fortunately, I was alone at the time. Now, the creators probably wouldn't have managed all these effects with out the long history of Batman to make the characters so well-known, but that doesn't detract from their brilliance in doing what they did. There are influences and hommages tucked away in some stories, and shouting out at you in others; I thought that I was seeing the Spirit's Will Eisner at work in some scenes, but there were obvious Jack Kirby references in the Demon story; and when I read some of Ra's al Ghul's suspicious-looking incantations backwards, it gave it away - "Tsetaerg eht saw ybrik" and Nitas teews ym". There are Forewords, Afterwords, and some bits in-between by the two co-creators, and some examples of censored artwork - these were meant to be kids' comics!

The Contents are -
"Mad Love" - 64pp
Annual #1 - 54pp: "Going Straight", "Puppet Show", "24 Hours", "Study Hall", "Laughter After Midnight"
"Cruise to Nightmare" - 6pp
"Jolly Ol' St. Nicholas" - 12pp (Batgirl)
Annual #2 - 44pp - "Demons"
"Two of a Kind" - 8pp ( Black & White)

Further Reading
Batman Li'l Gotham Volume 1 TP
on 1 January 2012
Paul Dini created Harley Quinn and in "Mad Love", together with artist Bruce Timm, he writes the origin story of the character where we find out she was a psychologist at Arkham who fell for the Joker's charms in a Stockholm-syndrome kind of way. The "other stories" in the title feature a variety of villains such as the short-lived "Roxanne `Roxy Rocket' Sutton", a jewel thief who flies around on a rocket with an old-timey ray gun, the Ventriloquist, Scarecrow, Catwoman, Two-Face, Poison Ivy, Clayface, as well as Ra's Al-Ghul, Talia, and Etrigan who feature in the second long story arc.

The book is great fun to read and, as a fan of the animated series from the 90s, it felt like I was reading episodes from that series, especially as Dini and Timm basically ran that series for years. Harley Quinn is a fine villain and has developed into a more interesting character over time but it's still good to see where it all began and "Mad Love" is a must-read for all Batman fans. Just don't expect the overly dark Batman of today in this book as the stories are cartoony and light (most of the time).
on 24 May 2013
This book is definitely worth a try, the storyline is great, very enjoyable, the characters are likable and funny when needed, the art is fantastic, it’s good to look at. I recommend this book to anyone who loves comics or just interested in getting to know the genre.
on 23 June 2014
i ordered this for my other half and he loves it its great for any batman fans i dont know much about the merchandise myself but my other half is totally obsessed with it and hes says this is brilliant
on 12 April 2016
A great collection of stories and madness. The colours and lines of this comic are great with vivid colours and with visceral images. It was a very entertaining read.
on 11 March 2014
Definitely recommend die hard comic fans to read this. It is so beautiful! I love the artwork so much, it is truly inspiring from an artists point of view.
on 18 June 2014
Can not answer this myself, all I can say is my son was over the moon with this birthday gift
OK, I'm a fan of the Batman Animated series so here in this graphic novel offering I get the excitement of Dini's writing with the artistic talents of Timm. It's a cracking offering and one that will readily appeal to fans of the Dark Knight especially those with a puncheon for Joker and Harley Quinn. Add to the mix that the titles within are award winning and you've got a pot of gold to readily enjoy. A great offering from Titan and one that I heartily recommend.
on 30 June 2009
ever since i watched the episode mad love off batman the animated series it has became one of my favourite joker/harley story i looked everywhere for the comic but when i heard it was being re released bought it straight away great book great story writing.
on 5 October 2009
This is the best collection of Batman stories I have seen in years. I would seriously recommened this book to any DC fan