Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 27 January 2012
This is the life of Bras de Oliva Domingos, told in chapters which single out a memorable year in his life, jumping from his life at age 32 to his life age 11 to his life age 76. And at the end of each chapter, Bras dies (it's a nuance that sounds strange here but makes sense in the book).

Bras is an obituary writer aching to become a respected novelist like his father, a world famous writer, who casts a long shadow across his son. Meanwhile we see Bras' life filled with characters like an ex-girlfriend he met on a boat, his best friend who dodged a near-death experience only to change him irrevocably, to meeting the love of his life, and raising children of his own.

I loved this book. It's the kind of book you find yourself turning back the pages to stare at the panels and really savour them, maybe even subconsciously trying to prolong the book as the pages fly by. First and foremost is Fabio Moon's artwork - stunning doesn't give it enough emphasis. His artwork is a cross between Will Eisner's and Craig Thompson's, every panel he drew was a panel I wish I could carry around with me in my head, they're so beautiful. Just look at the amount of detail he puts into the most static of scenes, the small details he packs into every available space. It's so inspiring.

There needs to be a special mention for the colourist on the book, Dave Stewart. He does a phenomenal job, taking Moon's art and making it better. Just turn to any page in the book and look at how the colour pops out of the page. The scenes where Bras is 21 and at the fishing village were so gorgeous, I wanted to live in those pages. Or the countryside of Bras' youth when he was 11 - ah, I can't describe it, just look at it, it's amazing. I can't underline how good Stewart's colouring is in the book, I really think it made the book that much more successful. Imagine if the book had been in black and white - it's not the same is it?

The combination between Moon's artwork and Stewart's colours is lethal. I swear the people in the panels moved. The smoke wafts up in the page, the seas shimmer in the sunset glow. It's truly extraordinary.

And the storytelling's not bad either! Every chapter contains some truth, some moment that captures a feeling or experience anyone has gone through and does so with grace and elegance. There wasn't a dull chapter to read and even when there isn't a murder or a passionate love affair or a sickening loss, and is simply about a time of Bras' life when he was just happy and content with the way things were, you find yourself totally enraptured with the words and art in a way so few books can do.

"Daytripper" is magic, pure and true, distilled masterfully by Fabio Moon, his twin brother Gabriel Ba, and Dave Stewart. It's a shining example of the excellence of the comics medium and an instant classic to be enjoyed and revered by everyone who reads it. It's a jewel of a book just waiting to be discovered, and one to return to for those, like myself, who have read it and loved it.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 17 May 2011
Of course, Vertigo are known for being the home of Neil Gaiman's Sandman series and many of the best fantasy graphic novels - but this is really something special.

It's a serious book, that has elements of humour and some fantasy. What's noticable to us as outsiders, is the insight it gives into family life in modern Brazil - although it deals with universal issues - "everybody dies".

The question is about what to do with your life. In an interview with the Guardian newspaper, Stephen Hawking was asked "So here we are. What should we do?" and his reply was:

"We should seek the greatest value of our action."

This is the problem that the twin brothers address in this graphic novel. What is most important to the "hero" of their story? So in short episodes - like the obituaries he writes - they investigate family relationships, childhood innocence (the first kiss) falling in love and having children of your own, as well as gaining recognition as a worthy writer. All of these are evaluated and it is left to the reader to decide which is more important.

Of course with a graphic novel, we have the added element of seeing things like paintings and festivals in Salvador, that would only be described. The wonderful style of the illustrations adds to the unique feel of this story - the vibrancy of Brazil and South America.

There are also elements of magical realism in the story of the underwater goddess and various dreams - but this book stands on the ideas, story and characters - like all good novels. In fact this is much like a series of related short stories and has their concise nature.

It covers adult themes and is truly a "grown-up" book - no need to be embarassed by picking up a "comic" - this combines literary style with the skills of the illustrator, to create a unique work of art. Highly recommended - even to those who wouldn't normally pick up this kind of thing!
on 29 April 2011
Sometimes, in life, a book comes along that speaks to you so clearly about the things you believe that it seems to have been written by someone inside your head. For me, "Daytripper" was one of those books.

Each chapter of this book follows a day in the life of Brás, a brazilian writer, and ends with his death (this isn't a spoiler, by the way - it's right on the back cover). But that's not what the book is about. What's important is the notion you get that life is made of the little moments we hardly think about when we're experiencing them. That death, no matter if you think about it or not, is always there, just another part of life. That home isn't a place but a complex mix of people, emotions and memories. That nothing is ever as simple as it looks.

As for the artwork, it's simply gorgeous. The drawings are the best I've seen from the artists (having seen their work in other books) and the coloring is genius. Highly recommended.
on 5 April 2011
This book is simply awesome.

I am not a big graphic novel reader but this book totally captivated me. Whilst the artwork is great, it is the story and narrative layout that captured me.

I finished every chapter with a million thoughts going through my mind and know that I will read it again and again.

I think it's work noting that this book may not be to everyones taste. First of all, it is no comic strip. This is a very mature story and is more about refelction than entertainment. Secondly you could argue not a lot happens. But that misses the point, I took something away with me after reading this, I hope others do too
on 9 December 2014
A great example of what can be achieved within the comics medium. Fantastic look at mortality and how different choices and events can affect us. A very moving, emotional, hilarious book following one man on various important days of his life. Definitely a must read for fans of great comics and great literature
on 5 March 2015
Beautifully written and I love the use of vivid and dream like colours that bleed and pervade through each compelling panel and page of this wonderful offering. On finishing it, it leaves you with the hazy sense you get when you have just woken from a bizarre and wistful dream.
on 21 August 2013
I loved it. It as so moving and depressing and at the same time there were so many beautiful images and meanings I could not but finish it at once. I find the whole concept pretty innovative for a comic. I enjoyed the graphics and loved the artwork!
on 21 February 2014
A beautifully drawn, haunting and intensely human story. The illustrations feel as lucid as the narrative and the issues addressed are universal yet dealt with sensitively and in a disarmingly personal manner. Exceptional achievement.
on 25 July 2013
DAYTRIPPER:

My thoughts
Interesting story, beautifully drawn figures/surroundings and nice choice of colours. Get it you will like it! I wish they had more like this
on 9 February 2015
The story was fantastic. This could make a great movie.