4.0 out of 5 stars a shaky start to an amazing series
I'm a big fan of Neil Gaiman's novels and television work, so I decided to branch out and give his Sandman series a go. I'm not a comic book/graphic novel reader at all - the last time I picked up a comic, it was an Archie one, if that tells you anything? - so I started reading Preludes and Nocturnes without any real idea of what to expect. Hopefully if you're in the same...
Published 23 months ago by Tasha S.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not too sure about this. Main character is impossible to relate to, and it's just a bit weird.
I was given this for my birthday by my brother, and being a graphic novel reader, I had heard of Sandman but never read it. I had always put it under the heading of "being too weird for me." However, I'm glad I finally got the chance to read it.

I have read some of Gaiman's other works: Stardust was a good fairy tale read that I enjoyed immensely, and I have...
Published 4 months ago by TS

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Dreams and Nightmares, 24 Jun 2014
We weren't sure what to expect from The Sandman, as we've only read one of Neil Gaiman's books - The Graveyard Book, but we loved it.
It starts with a group of men who try to summon Death in order to eradicate death, but they end up summoning her brother, Dream. They steal his three tools: his helm, a pouch of sand and a ruby, and imprison him for 70 years. This has grave consequences, as people fall asleep and are trapped in their dreams.
When Dream breaks free, he sets off on a quest to reclaim his stolen items. He is briefly helped by John Constantine, and encounters several characters from the DC world. To be honest, this threw us a bit because we didn't know it was set in the DC world, so it did seem a little strange.
So plot-wise, it's a basic object-finding quest, but Dream does visit Hell, which is always a bonus. It is quite dark in places, which is what we loved most about it. You have to wait until the end to meet his sister, Death, and we'd like to see more of her and the rest of the Endless. We will definitely buy the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth it despite the high price, 1 Jun 2014
hfffoman (Kent) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sandman TP Vol 01 Preludes & Nocturnes New Ed (Sandman New Editions) (Paperback)
If you like fantasy or comic books or both and don't know these, I recommend giving them a try despite the high price. It is difficult to give a feel for the highly imaginative writing and images. It is a fantasy of the personification of dreams and other forces called the Endless which might be described as archetypes or gods. Constantine from Hellblazer makes an appearance.

The colours are redone for trade paperback form and look much better than they did originally.

5.0 out of 5 stars As amazing as i remember, 12 April 2014
I first read these graphic novels as a teenager, I remembered them being full of amazing art work, twisted, interesting and most of all original. Rereading them after nearly 10 year was just as good as the first time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Start, 1 Feb 2014
New to the Sandman comics and Neil Gaiman's work - like everyone else have heard great things so thought I'd check this out. A really solid first arc - not yet totally seeing what everyone's been raving about but enjoyed it and am looking forward to reading more. I'm sure the best is yet to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 19 Jan 2014
Exciting and different, dark yet a lot fun. If you like fantasy or gothic novels give it a go. I'm off to buy the next book.

3.0 out of 5 stars My first graphic novel, 31 Dec 2013
Keshnee "I enjoy fantasy books the most, incl... (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
It's an interesting transition from reading books to reading a graphic novel. It is not as easy to get into the story nor understand what's happening. Also using a kindle means you can't view it as easily (even with the frame zoom option as the frames aren't the same shapes). But as these novels are quite short I think you are meant to read it more than once, in which case you can focus on the pictures a bit better.

The characters where interesting and the story was decent. Probably not the best thing I have read, but from the reviews this one isn't the best of the series so I will continue as the experience was a good one - especially since I can see what characters are meant to look like (when I read my characters don't have a physical form but instead just a suggestion of their personality - and whatever form my head applies to that personality, not sure if that makes sense).

5.0 out of 5 stars A true masterpiece, 28 Dec 2013
I had heard about The Sandman for years but along with Preacher is the best a graphic novel can possibly be.

5.0 out of 5 stars been years away from the comic scene... wow what a return, 27 Dec 2013
Haven't read any comics since way back in the day of '2000ad' mid eighties times...
Didn't know what to expect but omg, I'm back!!!! For good... Why don't you come back to with something so 'meaty' you'll swear your dreaming!

5.0 out of 5 stars mr sandman, bring me a graphic novel..., 10 Dec 2013
I am ashamed as a comic book fan that it has taken me so long to get a copy of this graphic novel and I will kick myself always for delaying!

The characters are interesting (death is a 16 year old girl), I could go on, but I'd end up ruining it for everyone.

Story is superb, art work is great and part 2, 3, 4 will soon be picked up

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 1 Dec 2013
An excellent story, perfectly illustrated. The only problem is that it isn't long enough! That said, if you're not prepared to commit to the full volume omnibus, these are a great way to access it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

Sandman TP Vol 01 Preludes & Nocturnes New Ed (Sandman New Editions)
10.49