Format: Paperback|Change

This is where the revolution in modern American comics truly began, with a little known but well-regarded British writer given his first American comic, a minor fading title, by Len Wein, one of the co-creators of the orginal character and the new book's editor. With Saga of the Swamp Thing (quickly losing 'Saga of the'), Moore proved that it was possible to create literate commercial comics that would appeal to the older reader.

It's impossible to over-emphasise the importance of this comic which had the effect of being drenched by a bucket of cold water as it impacted on fans and professionals alike. Very quickly every issue became eagerly awaited as we (yes, I was there, already a fan of Moore's for V For Vendetta and Marvelman in the British magazine Warrior) waited to see what Alan and Swampy would do next and we were never disappointed.

Here is the rebirth of Swamp Thing with wonderful and hideously-ugly detailed art by Bissette and Totleben who added so much to Moore's tales of horror.

I still have the original issues, carefully packed away, but bought this nevertheless and will buy all the forthcoming volumes as should you. If I have one -well it's a regret rather than a quibble- it's that, lacking Moore's co-operation with DC comics, this isn't the Absolute edition that it should have been, larger in size and packed with background material, text and previously unseen art.

Nevertheless, what you have is a landmark in modern comics, an absolutely essential addition to any graphic story collection.
on 10 January 2014
I had a chance to start collecting the original comics as they came out. I knew Alan Moore's work from his Marvel UK 'Captain Britain' strip, I knew how good he was. But as a young teenager, I was a dyed in the wool 'Marvelite' and just didn't buy DC comics.

I have since collected all of Moore's Swamp Thing issues in various formats, and realized what a damned fool I'd been. These works would have lit up my adolescent brain like a firework display. It's hard to imagine how much they would have affected my thinking and dreaming and how much pleasure and delightful dread they would have given me.

Eddie Campbell (the artist who later collaborated with Alan Moore on the awesome, towering work 'From Hell') wrote of Moore, the British (Northampton) writer taking the American comics world by storm something like this: 'The Americans have given us many things, like the endless coffee refill, and words for not doing very much, like "hanging out" and "goofing off". I suppose they were hanging out and goofing off, when Alan Moore landed among them like a hungry wolf.'

Moore's work was a revolution. It tore down the old notions of what a horror comic could be. It gave us terrifying new vistas and possibilities. Especially starting from the second issue, 'Anatomy Lesson.' Moore's Swamp Thing shaped so much in US comics...'Watchmen' followed, but Swamp thing was first in the US, and arguably the best, if your tastes run towards horror.

Moore's Swamp Thing was a major influence on Neil Gaiman's early US comics, especially 'Sandman'. So with Swamp Thing, Moore helped set the tone for the entire Vertigo line of DC comics.

The artwork by Steve Bissette and John Totleben, Rick Veitch and Alfredo Alcala was also fantastic, and supported Moore's prose with a dark beauty. The first three of those artists also contributed many plot ideas to Moore, and a special alchemy happened across these issues, that is rarely seen in comics.

I have read thousands of comics, and these are among the very best. They transcend the medium. The quality of writing, the visionary ideas and visuals are works of art by any standards. And not just by comic book standards. These stories can stand among works by the great horror prose writers and film makers.

Buy it, buy them all, so you don't miss out like I did.
on 21 December 2014
I thought i was a fan of Alan Moore after loving his work such as From Hell and of course Watchmen. Then I finally picked up this book and realized what i had been missing out on.
Swamp Thing is a character portrayed with such beauty by the outstanding art team, the illustrations create empathy by making a creature from a swamp look so humane and loving. Of course Moore's writing is incredible and the quality does not go downhill throughout the series.
In terms of the book itself, the paper stock is fantastic imo and is exactly how i like it done, especially with comics that were released in the 80s. It is a matte finish with no gloss but it feels good quality and certainly works effectively with the artwork. These paperbacks also look great on the shelf, and the binding isn't a problem due to these being relatively short books.
I highly recommend to anyone into Graphic Novels or books in general, I believe this series is a good starting point into comics.
on 13 January 2015
If you have an intrest in Horror/'Moore/strange sentient moss & twig beings then jump head first into the most important run on any comic ever!I say that because this was the 1st Alan Moore run on a mainstream American comic which was to blow the minds of his employers(DC in this case) & it caused DC to notice Alan Moores genious of graphic fiction which would cause them to give him the creative control he needed to accomplish the game changing Watchman,but this was the real game changer.Alan Moore took an obscure/failing character & reinvisioned the character into a near omnicient elemental.Vol 1 of this run includes 1 of the finest introductions to a character in comic history in the issue 'The Autopsy' 'Moore reinvents & sets the tone for the first 4 trade hardback versions."Will there be blood...oh yes I like to imagine there will be blood,lots of it!" and from there his "Gothic horror" run begins.This run 'vol1-6' contains some of my alltime favourite Moore work.It falters at times but even when it does it has a real charm about it but when it shines boy does it shine!While not as cohesive as his 12 issue Watchman run(what is though?)or as highbrow as his scholarly From Hell.This is the work of a master experementing with awesome results with his pen Saga of the Swamp Thing vol1-6 is a must read especially for horror fans although his later 2 trades focus more on sci-fi than horror.
on 26 May 2013
This remains the beginning of the best comic series I've ever read. This edition is the only edition to own: with an extra chapter not published elsewhere, where Moore really takes over the writing, any reader of any kind of literature will be blown away by the beauty of just the writing; the artwork takes some time to get into but once you grasp what Bissette and Totleben are doing, you'll recognise how the entire package and creative medium is a work of genius.

Brilliant, dark, beautiful and incredibly smart. There's nothing more you could ask for. And a beautiful package in its own right.
on 15 May 2011
ok, I love this book, the writing is superb but i just want to mention the artwork, like a lot of Alan Moore comics i often feel the artist is given short-shrift (often no shrift at all). There's one part of the book that has such an image that it grabbed me and stayed with me for a while, that's the small panel where swamp thing has rooted and water has pooled in his eyes, it's just such a beautiful image and is perfection in drawn form. I can't stress enough how complimentary the artwork is, in fact in some instances better than the written word...herecy I know but like 'The league of extraordinary gentlemen' i often wish Kevin O'Neill would get more of a mention, his artwork is superb. Buy this book, please :)
on 16 August 2014
Just bought - and just finished - the entire Alan Moore "Swamp Thing" collection - bought these comics when they first came out - panting for the next issue like no other comic before or since (well except perhaps for Moore's "Miracleman" which I used to journey from Kent to New Cross to make sure i got the next issue of "Warrior" - thanks Dez)
Time and circumstances meant I no longer had those comics but these reprint volumes are a very good replacement - the paper is just right and the reproduction superb - the stories? - sublime.
Essential reading for anyone serious about good writing and art in comics.
on 8 August 2013
Great book. I enjoyed how the story turns away from the typical superhero standards and to a more supernatural thriller. Can't wait to read the second book.
on 16 April 2016
I wasn't sure what to expect from this comic, I got it only because it was written by Alan Moore. I have to say I really liked it - it shows some disturbing imagery, it has interesting story lines.

One downside I'd like to point out is that there are a number of old characters that return and I still have no idea who they were, but it doesn't matter - you quickly get an idea who they are.

All in all, I'd recommend if you are looking for something different from the normal super hero comics.
on 21 January 2016
What a treat this is! There is some truly beautiful description here, some fine writing worthy of any piece of literary fiction and some eye popping art work that really brings the story alive and to think this was done over 30 years ago too, yet it still retains that powerful impact and influence. Kudos should go not just to Alan Moore but also to Stephen Bissette and John Totlenben who were vital in making such a great compilation. This is something to be marvelled at, to be savoured and enjoyed.