4.0 out of 5 stars Spoiler Free Review
Many of the reviews for this product are actually for other volumes of this series, so check that when you look at other reviews.

Published on 23 Mar. 2009 by Rolacka

3.0 out of 5 stars Ultimately rewarding but an expensive slog
An alarming number of reviewres are reviewing the wrong book here so lets be clear: This large hardcover holds the first ten issues of the comic, as previously compiled in the first two trade paperbacks "Unmanned" and "Cycles".

Published on 6 May 2011 by Mr. I. C. G. Bell

4.0 out of 5 stars Spoiler Free Review, 23 Mar. 2009

I really enjoyed the story. Every chapter/issue ends on a cliffhanger and the characters are interesting, if not fully explored yet. There are lots more reviews if you look around on the internet and I don't want to give spoilers so I won't go into the plot (though I'm sure you know the basic premise).

I really really enjoyed the artwork. While I agree with the other reviewer who said it is simple, I disagree that that is a negative thing. In a lot of ways this series is a bit like a soap opera with a focus on character, and I think the art really allows for this focus on characterisation. I would recommend checking out the art if possible to see what you think.

The product itself is pretty nice. It's oversized, contains I think ten issues (I might be wrong on that though), and the paper is not glossy like marvel oversized, but is quite thick so it does feel like a good quality product. The dustcover is papery too, rather than glossy which I didn't think was too good, but it doesn't matter too much. The colours are crisp and clear, and are better than I remember the colours being when I glanced through a TPB to see if I would like the art (I can't stand art I don't like. I wouldn't read a series with a writer I like if I didn't like the art).

I recommend trying this series. I really enjoyed it. The second volume is out June 09 so you won't have too long to wait until you can continue the story.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very stong storytelling, 4 Feb. 2009
T. Brown (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book after high recommendations from a friend, despite it not being what i would have picked up generally myself.

I am very glad i did. I opted for the deluxe hardcover version, and it did not disappoint. It feels well made, and the printing inside is very nice. It also has some character sketches in at the end.

The main thing about this book is the strong storyline, and the strong realistic characters. You will not feel like your reading a comic book, you will feel like you are reading a full blown novel with plot twists, cliffangers, sub-plots and mysteries to be solved.

The characters are as good as any, with personal backgrounds, individual personalities and their own personal goals. Despite 99% of characters being female this is by no means pro/anti-feminist, although as you can guess some of the characters are.

The only thing that lets me down with this book is that sometimes the art can feel a bit basic. It looks more like a weekly judge dredd script than a graphic novel masterpiece. I just feel it is too bright in places, and not graphic enough in others. nevertheless it does the job well, adding to the realism.

I look forward to reading the next in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book you need to experience, 18 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Y The Last Man Deluxe Edition HC Vol 01 (Hardcover)
While much tamer than Saga, Y The Last Man is nearly as engrossing as a book can get. Following the antics of Yorick Brown, and his male helper monkey Ampersand following the death of every other male of the planet, we see a wonderful and horrifying vision of the ultimate what if? scenario. Vaughn's writing can be truly hilarious, as Yorick tries to mature to the importance of the role he's obtained as the last male human alive. He doesn't want to be the last will of mankind, and he expresses that in the most satisfying ways possible.

Y The Last Man is a fantastic series full of fully fleshed out characters that you will quickly love and care about through its 60 issue run. I would recommend to anyone, comic book reader or otherwise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great comic, 12 May 2013
This review is from: Y The Last Man Deluxe Edition HC Vol 01 (Hardcover)
Unique and interesting storyline/artwork, this GN has the feel of a great tv show & grabs your attention form start to finish.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 Nov. 2014
D. G. Kirkley (CARLSBAD, CALIFORNIA, US) - See all my reviews
Great start to the story, good art and good writing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ultimately rewarding but an expensive slog, 6 May 2011

I'm gonna review the whole series here (which is 10 trade paperbacks or, 5 delux editions) because these books don't really work in isolation. I'll avoid spoilers.

The artwork is adequate but nothing special. The girls are sexy (by no means always the case in comicdom) but all look a little similar bar the hairstyles. The monkey(s), in particular, are well drawn. The artwork serves the somehwat soapy perils-of-paul script but isn't a treat in and of itself as in the best graphic novels; making large, quality print editions of this work far less necessary.

Basically the story is overlong and contrived. There are just too many captures and last minute rescues. It strains credability and becomes formulaic. Yorrik, the last man, is a bit of a [male member] to start with, which is irritating initially; but ultimately vindicated by the character developments. If you work through all 60 epsiodes he and the female characters will inevitably grow on you.

The series ending (in Deluxe Edition #5)is genuinely moving , perhaps more so than any other graphic novel opus (even Sandman) ; and is very well executed. Definately the highpoint of the work.

Padding aside, the overall plot arc and timejump splicing is impressive ; and the dialogue and humour is mostly endearing.

If this had been 30 episodes rather than 60 I'd have given it five stars despite the middling artwork; but as it is it is too long. For calibration purposes, I feel much the same way about Garth Ennis' "Preacher".

So: to buy or not to buy? My view is, as for so many other longrunning series: wait for compendium editions.

3.0 out of 5 stars Y All the Fuss?, 18 Mar. 2014
Bob (Merseyside) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Y The Last Man Deluxe Edition HC Vol 01 (Hardcover)
I was on the lookout for something new and this comic featured in many people's top ten around the web, but Volume 1 didn't really grab me. Beyond the covers I don't find the art particularly interesting or special, and while I appreciate it still requires talent to draw this way (and this deluxe version has some nice preliminary drawings at the back), I'd say the style was functional.

One or two points about the story (might be considered spoilers, so beware!!). The main character: an escapologist (will he use that later!?) called Yorick with a pet monkey and family in the Whitehouse. This is the last man, really? I think I prefer an ordinary character I can relate to. I also found the amazonian group a little improbable: now that there are no men, we *really* hate men; the infrastructure is crumbling, first things first, let's maim ourselves! To their credit at least the writers avoided making the Last Man into a full-on male fantasy.

I'm not completely incurious as to what happens next, and there's plenty of time for development with four more volumes. The high praise that decorates the cover suggests that there's better to come, but this review, from a slightly disappointed reader, is limited to Volume 1.

Y The Last Man Deluxe Edition HC Vol 01
Y The Last Man Deluxe Edition HC Vol 01 by Brian K. Vaughn (Hardcover - 22 Oct. 2008)