4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful
Grant Morrison is a well respected comics author , whilst Frank Quitely is a much admired comicbook artist . Together they have been putting together this beautiful series in single issues , collected here are the first six of those .

Published on 4 Oct. 2007 by DocBhoy

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but not Super
Published on 23 Aug. 2011 by Stevos

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 4 Oct. 2007
DocBhoy (Invercargill , New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All Star Superman (Hardcover)

The art and colouring are a wonder to behold , and Grant's script shows that there's still some life in Supes , and that we haven't read all there is to read about him . There is some humour as well as pathos , and each chapter is a complete storyline .

If there is one criticism to be levelled at the series , it's the disjointed nature of this collected edition , due to the stand alone stories .

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Caesars Ghost - A trip back to the 1960's, 19 May 2011
Mr. G. Bridgeman-clarke "Graham BC" (Rayleigh, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: All Star Superman TP Vol 01 (All Star Superman (Quality Paper)) (Paperback)
I had read great things about this series and when I saw that it had been put into a trade paper back I had to get it. What a joy.

This is the Superman I remember. Foes like Lex Luther (who was never going to be President of the USA) as he has been and friends (foes) like Atlas and samson. Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen and Perry White. Great Caesars Ghost, what a collection.

These stories are what I like, no real need to have read earlier comics and easy to understand tales with positive endings. Such a joy to read and great artwork. Guess who is going to buy the other volumes!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but not Super, 23 Aug. 2011
Stevos (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Am I the only person who thought the All Star Superman collection was a bit .... average? Superman is an incredibly difficult character to make interesting, as we know, because of his all-powerful nature. But some really clever writers have been able to do some interesting things with the Man of Steel. For some reason, this popular entry in the Superman canon just doesn't grab me. He spends the books passing tests, wrapping up his affairs, and coming to terms with dying. But the whole book just reads like one long epilogue. I like epilogues, but only as a pay-off to a really good story. This one lacks something, for me. It never really reads like a coherent story.
I love Supes, but I have enjoyed him most when he comes up against Batman, such as in Batman: Dark Knight Returns. In that book, there is an exploration of Superman's most basic conflict, ie where does he draw the line in using his powers? Is using them for his country the right and patriotic thing to do? Or is it Imperialist? Should he use them at all? Batman acts as an important mirror to Superman's beliefs and attitudes. And that is something that is explored in my all time favourite story Superman: Red Son where the Man of Tomorrow grows up as a Soviet Citizen. He is doing what he believes to be the right thing for humanity, but are there darker consequences to that? Clever stuff. All Star Superman seems a little lightweight in comparison.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superman in a story to match his stature, 19 May 2011
Dr. Mark P. Toner "Ayesongs" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I came late to this groundbreaking series, having found a sale copy of volume 2 in my local bookshop. However, from the start I realised that here was the Superman that I remembered from my distant youth. He meets with world-threatening villains that need a Superman to stop them and so he shines doing what we need him to do - saving the world. I always felt that Superman was out of place dealing with the petty-villains of so many stories; villains that his friend Batman could easily thwart.

However this is not just good guys versus bad guys. Superman is faced with his own mortality here and has to think of how to protect humanity even after he is gone, and there are many options explored. Eternal truths, cosmic scope, world-shattering events - all worthy of a superman as hero.

With just this kind of thinking from writer Grant Morrison, we would have enough of a great piece of graphic fiction. However, Frank Quitely and Jamie Grant excel at rendering the Man of Tomorrow and the cast of assorted Superman friends and enemies, making for a satisfying and eminently re-readable saga that I am sure I shall revisit over and over into my dotage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Frequently Perfect, 16 April 2008
Mr. AD PERKS "hh." (Lundun, Englund.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All Star Superman (Hardcover)
Grant Morrison is my favourite writer. And, y'know, in a career of coming in and redefining titles and characters, seemingly effortlessly, in the way that makes you think "wow, I can't believe I didn't always realise that this was exactly how this long established comic was always meant to be," All Star Superman might well be Grant Morrison's best work.

And it might be Frank Quitely's best work as well. I mean, if you have the opportunity, go into a bookshop and look at the display copy because it is just... too good to be adequately portrayed by the computer screen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Morrison's best, 1 Feb. 2012
This is probebly Morrison's best book and the best superman book i've read. Quitly's art works to tell the story. He draws superman more big than muscular and Clark more fat than lanky, which i'd like to see done more often. Worth multiple reads. Remember vol 2 then your done this one.

2.0 out of 5 stars The Man Of Meh, 9 July 2014
I only bought this after I publically stated how much I hate Superman, someone said I should give this go before making such a bold statement.

I not only stand by my original claim, I now use this as an example as to why I hate Superman.

Superman is too perfect, he is brilliant at everything and renders every single other superhero invalid. All (of the ones I have read) see him having to lose his powers or be weakened to level the playing field. Clark Kent is both an imbecile and the worst alter ego ever, seriously the dude just wears glasses and faffs about a bit.

Instead of buying this get Hush and see Batman punch him the face.

I love batman me

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Superman Graphic Novel!, 3 Jun. 2007
Mr. S. W. Steel "stephensteel" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: All Star Superman (Hardcover)
If you have looked at some of my other reviews, you will realise that i am a huge Superman fan - and i own many more graphic novels than those i have reviewed here on Amazon.

The basic plot of this volume is, Lex Luthor plays a trick on Superman and gets him to go too close to the sun, and when Superman returns to earth he finds that all of his powers are enhanced.......but at a terrible price..........he is dying! The rest of the graphic novel is concerned with how he chooses to tell his friends and family, and how he hides this from his enemies.

I liked the premise of this graphic novel a lot. It revisits Superman's early days - his earth parents appear, Pete Ross and Lana Lang get some space, Lois gets a big chunk and so does Lex Luthor. I enjoyed it especially because it is more about the character of Superman, rather than him appearing in lots of set pieces/fight scenes.

The artwork is really good too - it isn't in the same league as Kingdom Come (not much is to be honest!), but the artwork here is secondary to the story, and that is a welcome change in my opinion.

The nearest Superman graphic novel i can compare this to is Superman For All Seasons - thought the artwork is better here! So if you read that one, you will definitely enjoy this.

In fact, I think this graphic novel could be made into the sequel of Superman Returns.............why not read this and see what you think?!

5.0 out of 5 stars All star Superman part one 'SPOILERS', 1 Mar. 2012
This book is set in 'Grant Morrison' universe so it isn't canon to the Superman universe post this story but all the mythos and previous incarnations of Supes still apply. Throughout this he is coming to terms with an impending end which is making him stronger and even more invulnerable than before hand, it delves into supermans mind, shows us motive and how he thinks. Memorable scenes with an incarcerated and savvy Lex Luthor, Superman's pal Jimmy Olsen, some more rarely seen friends and foes, the effects of black Krytonite and tackling the Lois Lane and Clark Kent/Kal-El relationship with him letting her into his life more than ever.

The most memorable thing for me in this book was seeing a really amazing fortress of solitude more akin to the batcave with a sence of history in trinkets and souvenirs displayed from past adventures and amazing futuristic technology, also great scenes from Clark Kents past in Smallville intertwining with his future, and beyond. Grant Morrison really knocks it out of the park with this one, definitely my all time favourite of his works, Morrison as usual delivers a lot of twists and turns but ultimately has an answer for all.

1.0 out of 5 stars Alas how long must we suffer., 20 Feb. 2011
This review is from: All Star Superman (Hardcover)
Unfathomable, overly complicated too knowing Morrison trash, that looks like a badly coloured issue of rainbow bright.
Obviously I'm in a minority here, there being a high number of avaunt garde comic book fans (from the amount of praise given to Morrison's work).
Good luck to anyone picking up superman for the first time and choosing this one. If you can understand it, you're something.

All Star Superman TP Vol 01 (All Star Superman (Quality Paper))
All Star Superman TP Vol 01 (All Star Superman (Quality Paper)) by Grant Morrison (Paperback - 27 Aug. 2008)
Used & New from: £4.77