5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping TV You Can Read
This is the culmination to a good series, always interesting, although - like the TV series the writer is now involved with - not every "episode" is a strong one.

I expect, if the US TV networks will buy a series with only one male character, this will be a TV series soon, hailed by all as the new Lost or Heroes.

Publication was delayed - by the...
Published on 1 Sep 2008 by The Kinniburgh Kid

3.0 out of 5 stars Heading along
Apart from the usual brilliant characterizations and some different artist who manage to add a new flair without too much distraction, this volume mainly feels as if it is just there to push the story towards a finale. The two origin stories at the end are very well done but feel a bit out of place in their addition. A decent continuation.
Published 6 months ago by Daniel Ramsden

4.0 out of 5 stars Spoiler Free Review, 23 Mar 2009
Many of the reviews for this product are actually for other volumes of this series, so check that when you look at other reviews.

I really enjoyed the story. Every chapter/issue ends on a cliffhanger and the characters are interesting, if not fully explored yet. There are lots more reviews if you look around on the internet and I don't want to give spoilers so I won't go into the plot (though I'm sure you know the basic premise).

I really really enjoyed the artwork. While I agree with the other reviewer who said it is simple, I disagree that that is a negative thing. In a lot of ways this series is a bit like a soap opera with a focus on character, and I think the art really allows for this focus on characterisation. I would recommend checking out the art if possible to see what you think.

The product itself is pretty nice. It's oversized, contains I think ten issues (I might be wrong on that though), and the paper is not glossy like marvel oversized, but is quite thick so it does feel like a good quality product. The dustcover is papery too, rather than glossy which I didn't think was too good, but it doesn't matter too much. The colours are crisp and clear, and are better than I remember the colours being when I glanced through a TPB to see if I would like the art (I can't stand art I don't like. I wouldn't read a series with a writer I like if I didn't like the art).

I recommend trying this series. I really enjoyed it. The second volume is out June 09 so you won't have too long to wait until you can continue the story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping TV You Can Read, 1 Sep 2008

Publication was delayed - by the publisher, not Amazon - and, like another reviewer, my copy has 20 pages printed upside-down, but these minor irritations aside it is a good finale with shocks, surprises and a satisfying ending for all the story lines. No hanging threats of further issues, thankfully.

The artwork is not in itself beautiful or remarkable, save for the sheer quantity of pages over ten collected editions, and really is there to illustrate the story rather than enhance it like, say, Dark Knight Strikes again or 300. That said, it does the job very well.

Be aware it must be read in order, unlike the various X-men or Batman comic series, so make sure you start with Vol 1. By the end, I realised I had spent nearly 80 on a comic book story. That's quiet a commitment, way more than I'd spend on a DVD box set, for example.

So although I liked it and I heartily recommend it, be aware it can be an expensive thing to get hooked on.

3.0 out of 5 stars Heading along, 17 Jan 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 8 Nov 2013
This review is from: Y: The Last Man Vol. 8: Kimono Dragons (Paperback)
The item was very well preserved, and arrived on time. The price is very competitve. I will buy for sure more volumes of this colection.The item is well preserved, arrived on time. The price is competitve.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thumbs Up!, 6 May 2012
This review is from: Y: The Last Man Vol. 8: Kimono Dragons (Paperback)
Things tend to slow down a bit here and this volume is very dialogue and exposition heavy. There is still action and suspense, and sex robots, but some very wordy pages too. A lot of this volume is taken up with Dr Mann's back-story as we get to know all about her childhood and the complex lives of her parents.

The art, by contrast, really shines. The colours are incredibly rich with some beautiful shading and some exquisite fine detailing. There are some neat little touches such as a clever reflection and a thrown object leaving the frame. It's as if the artist is trying to smuggle creativity in under the radar.

This does feel like one of the weakest volumes so far but it is testament to the great writing that even this deserves a Thumbs Up!

4.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreaking..., 1 Nov 2010
What an excellent series, easily one of my favourite comics, ever! And as a final issue, this works well to get a lot of the loose ends tied up and give you an actual conclusion. Unfortunately, not one everyone will be happy with.
I have to give it 4 not 5 stars because i really feel cheated and angry by the resolution of Yorick/355's storyline. I feel as though the writer, Mr Vaughan, boxed himself into a corner and was not sure how to resolve their relationship. This even seems to be hinted at by the writer himself!!! As he refers to the 80's TV show 'Moonlighting' and its failure to deliver after initially giving the audience what it wanted. This appears to be a case of the writer 'excusing' himself before writing the ending...
This might seem cryptic as i do not want to spoil it for those of you still to read it. The artwork as usual is excellent, expressive without being showy or overblown. Read it, see for yourself and ask yourself whether that ending is a cop-out or a genuine convincing resolution...

4.0 out of 5 stars Finale!, 30 April 2009
L. Nolan (Ireland) - See all my reviews
I was eagerly waiting the last of this series and for the most part I wasn't disappointed. Its a nice conclusion for the book, while the previous book dealt with the scientific musings this ties up all the relationship stuff (and I mean that in a good way!). It is a bit emotional and very well written. I did feel that maybe it was a bit crammed to try and tie everything up but that's not too noticeable, and one thing I didn't like was the end of Alter's story I thought it was a bit of a let down for the character. Other than that I really enjoyed this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great finale to a fantastic series, 20 April 2009
Andrew Simpson (Huddersfield, UK) - See all my reviews
If you are anything like me you might have been approaching this last entry in the series with a bit of trepidation, wondering if you are going to read it and be disappointed. Too many series have a strong story that ultimately ends up disappointing you at the end.

Luckily this isn't one of them. These final episodes manage to wrap up everyones story while still springing some surprises on you. The very final comic in particular took me through just about every emotion, from being the only book of any kind (comic or otherwise) that's made me cry in years to making me smile and laugh out loud.

I don't want to go into too many details as it would spoil the plot for anyone who's been reading so far and chances are you have been if you are thinking about buying the final book (otherwise go back and get the first one). If you've read this far in the series you're probably going to buy this anyway, and you'll be glad you did.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very stong storytelling, 4 Feb 2009
T. Brown (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book after high recommendations from a friend, despite it not being what i would have picked up generally myself.

I am very glad i did. I opted for the deluxe hardcover version, and it did not disappoint. It feels well made, and the printing inside is very nice. It also has some character sketches in at the end.

The main thing about this book is the strong storyline, and the strong realistic characters. You will not feel like your reading a comic book, you will feel like you are reading a full blown novel with plot twists, cliffangers, sub-plots and mysteries to be solved.

The characters are as good as any, with personal backgrounds, individual personalities and their own personal goals. Despite 99% of characters being female this is by no means pro/anti-feminist, although as you can guess some of the characters are.

The only thing that lets me down with this book is that sometimes the art can feel a bit basic. It looks more like a weekly judge dredd script than a graphic novel masterpiece. I just feel it is too bright in places, and not graphic enough in others. nevertheless it does the job well, adding to the realism.

I look forward to reading the next in the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars "Avez-vous vu cet homme?", 28 Dec 2008
And so we come to the end.

For the past six years I followed this comic series, and for the most part I found it an entertaining, clever and, at times, harsh series. Whilst it did not have the same "WTF-Factor" of something like the Luna Brothers' "Girls", or the same epic intensity as "The Walking Dead", it was definitely one of the better contemporary comics available on the shelf.

Anybody who's been following the story up to this point will know the drill, and will be eager to see the stories of Yorick, 355 and Ampersand finally resolved. But, Brian K Vaughan does not play nice with the reader, as anyone who has read "Pride of Baghdad" can tell you. It's interesting to compare the conclusion of "Y: The Last Man" to the finales of other classic comic serials such as "Preacher" and "Transmetropolitan". Vaughan seems committed to giving us an ending which is all too familiar to real-life, where all farewells tend to be bitter-sweet. In doing so gives us an ending which is emotionally satisfying, perhaps even moreso than the aforementioned finales. That the emotional sucker punch comes so unexpectedly without creating a major tonal shift in the story is a credit to Vaughan's writing and Pia Guerra and Jose Marzan's clean yet expressive artwork.

Clearly not for those new to the storyline, but an absolute must if you've been following the series.

Warning: You may cry.

Y: The Last Man Vol. 8: Kimono Dragons
Y: The Last Man Vol. 8: Kimono Dragons by Brian K. Vaughan (Paperback - 22 Nov 2006)
10.99