4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent comic treatment
Published on 17 Sept. 2007 by Richard Kelly

2.0 out of 5 stars A tragic waste of potential
First of all, I have to say that I think this book is a shame because there was a clear sign of talent art wise. I'm a huge fan of the book and tv show, so I won't lie and say that I didn't have high expectations, but this book is a terrible let down.

Published on 23 May 2012 by Ryan M. McGuinness

2.0 out of 5 stars A tragic waste of potential, 23 May 2012
Ryan M. McGuinness (Scotland) - See all my reviews

It feels dumbed down, and most of the characters just don't look right (Anaesthsia looks like a blue skinned stripper and the Marquis is a silhouette with eyes).

I would have been fine with these changes and ideas, if the story wasn't so streamlined with the all the humour removed.

The art is fantastic, but with the exception of Hunter and Richard, everyone just looks wrong.

I honestly hate to say this, but avoid this book if you are a fan of Neverwhere. It adds nothing whatsoever, and I honestly felt ripped off.

"Hey, these fans will buy this anyway, so lets just rush it through".

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 20 Aug. 2010
I got this graphic novel with high hopes for it-I love both the miniseries and the novel. Unfortunately, the graphic novel is a let down, being mediocre an adaptation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent comic treatment, 17 Sept. 2007
Richard Kelly (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Many years ago Neil Gaiman wrote a TV Series that ran on BBC2, and from that he wrote a book. These were both about a fictional London that lives within the cracks of the existing and is inhabited by a host of magical creatures, people, wierdos etc. It followed the story of Door who tries to get revenge for the murder of her family, and Richard who slips between the gap between the two Londons and joins Door on her quest.

The book is good but flawed in places, the TV series is the same - both have that unique Gaiman touch. This comic is basically a retelling of the novel in comic format, but this time the comic treatment is written by Mike Carey. Now I like Mike Carey and I like Neil Gaiman so this should be a match made in heaven.

In the end it is pretty good, all the bits that are annoying in the book are there. Unfortunately some of the elements of the book that make Neil's prose sparkle have had to be cut, and whilst this is sad it is understandable. I'm giving it 8/10

If you like the novel and like comics then give this ago, it is a worth while addition to anyones Carey/Gaimen collection.

1.0 out of 5 stars "Neil Gaiman's" Neverwhere, My Arse, 9 Jan. 2009
E. Saul "SalieriTheFish" (Gloucestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
The sheer discrepancy between the TV series & book and this monstrosity is like the discrepancy between a decent meal before you ate it and after you vomited it out. Dialogue and descriptions of character's appearance are either snipped away or chucked out of the window, or - as with the new, racist interpretation of the Marquis de Carabas' 'dark face' - taken in completely the wrong direction. The saving grace would be Fabry's art - except that he throws out any of the darker, shadowier aspects of Londons above or below in favour of a multi-rainbow approach that looks as if it were done with pastels and burns the surface of the reader's retinas.

Future Comic Book Editors, heed well the warning of this book. If you want to adapt a book into a graphic novel - most especially one by a guy who is very good at writing graphic novels - don't rush it out. Wait until he, and an artist who can work well with him, is less busy. But DON'T hand it over to a couple of mediocre hacks and then untruthfully slap the original author's name on the cover as a hook for new readers. Because what you get is...well...this.

4.0 out of 5 stars People seem strange, 15 April 2015
But not as strange as life for Richard Mayhew... with Neverwhere Gaiman constructs a twisted reality of timeless fear, and heartwrenching surprise

4.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps I'm not a purest because I liked this..., 26 May 2011
Lark (North Coast of Ireland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
My eye was immediately drawn to the negative reviews when deciding whether or not to buy this book but decided to buy it anyway. I have to say that perhaps I'm not a purest because I like this production, as the writer says in the preface it is not a straight adaptation of the novel but a sort of "jazz riff" of the novel. This is clearly an acknowledgement that the writer felt there would be a mixed reaction, he acknowledges changes, that there have been ommissions, that narrator is the protagonist and not a third person narration like the novel.

I did think that Lady Door's appearence is different from I imagined it, she is older, has this weird keyhole tattoo over her eye and dresses in much more of a "circus, circus" fashion than I imagined, likewise I could not believe what the artist has made of De Carabas which is like something akin to the Cheshire Cat!! The companion provided by the Rat King is bizarre and the weird appearence became a focus for me, so I didnt feel the same when they met their fate as I did reading the novel and I remember this being pretty emotionally provocative in the novel. Which is a shame. Likewise the weapons master who the villains seek out and who winds up fighting Hunter is more of a eastern martial arts affecado or too Bruce Lee, in the book I had a definite idea that he was a hulking, positively medieval and western figure.

On the other hand I do believe that the two main villains are rendered totally masterfully, likewise Hunter, which I have seen twice portrayed differently (once in the BBC production and once by a fantasy artist which was apparently Gaiman's own approved image) and not as well. The necrophilious and abjectly evil character of the villains transfers well and scenes I was sure would be omitted which conveyed this in the book, for instance eating a ornate antique vase to remove it from existence, are reproduced just how I imagined it.

One thing I would say is that I dont believe any of the adaptations, as TV series or graphic novel, achieved were to depict the world of London below. I always imagined it as a more frightening place than any succeeded in portraying, magical and fantastic but full of desperate, mad and murderous elements. Reading Gaiman the narrative always, for me, begs the question as to whether one or more of the characters is delusional, if so I would believe that the fantastical element would be more unnerving and less "circus, circus". This could be my own, unique perspective though.

The summary graphic novel will no doubt be considered with mixed emotions by fans of the novel, there are points which will please and delight and others which may disappoint but overall I believe that if you are a fan of Gaiman's books, or the comics he is associated with, you will like this one. If you are unfamiliar with either the novel of Gaiman you could still like this graphic novel, you probably would be motivated to read the novel even, fans of the Fables: Legends in Exile (Vertigo) series or Spawn Collection Volume 1: v. 1 series would particularly like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic story, 12 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Neil Gaimans Neverwhere TP (Paperback)
Take it for what it is, a fantastic story written by a very talented writer with an amazing imagination - brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 2 May 2007
Gavin Schofield (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
Being a huge fan of the Book, I picked this up the second I saw it. I didn't expect it to be as good as the book, but it is.

Possibly the best Graphic Novel I've ever read. Buy it.

Neil Gaimans Neverwhere TP
Neil Gaimans Neverwhere TP by Glenn Fabry (Paperback - 16 Feb. 2007)