5.0 out of 5 stars The best Batman story ever.
Although Frank Miller is better known for the like of comic book classics like Sin City or The Dark Knight Returns, Batman: Year One has got to be his best. Miller completely redefined Batman for a new generation, and yet again completely de-camped the character to being so grim and gritty that it is hard to imagine that he was ever treated like a joke. The story follows...
Published on 29 Mar. 2006 by Vote for Pedro

3.0 out of 5 stars Review from / for graphic novel novices
My boyfriend has been haranguing me for ages to read a graphic novel: he's something of a connoisseur, I'm a comic virgin. He recommended 'Year One' to me as a classic of the genre.

I have to admit I was a bit baffled by it all. The graphic novel is a form I just don't get!

The story seemed fragmented, more as if I was coming to it having missed the...
Published on 24 Oct. 2011 by Mme DLR

‹ Previous | 1 2 318 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The compelling story of the Dark Knight's first year..., 22 July 2001
This review is from: Batman: Year One (Paperback)
Frank Miller's stunning tale of an young Bruce Wayne's first attempts to dispense justice in the dark and seedy streets of Gotham City. Along with the startlingly compelling account of a Batman who is not quite the highly skilled vigilante that he will one day become, is a sub-plot that bri ngs a young James Gordon (Lieutenant Gordon at this point in time...) to Gotham, a James Gordon who is willing to bend the rules to see justice served...
Characterisation is second to none, with possibly the most well rounded characters I have ever seen in the medium, and the art brings a neo-noir feel with washed out colours reflecting the cloudy morality on display. In short, this is an awesome companion piece to Miller's more highly regarded classic, The Dark Knight Returns, an exceptional tribute to the Dark Knight that lurks within us all...

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspiration, in part, for Batman Begins, 1 May 2009
I bought this along with The Killing Joke and Batman : Dark Knight Returns to get a grounding in the comic book side of Batman. I couldn't have done better.

There are a number of elements that this book has contributed to recent reboot of the Batman franchise on the silver screen but more than enough left untold to keep your interest. If anything, it feels like the films are a cheap rip off.

It's an excellent telling of the initial forays, both successful and not, into crime fighting. Coupled with the struggle Gordon meets after transferring to Gotham City which provides a baptism of fire for both of these endearing characters.

If you want to fill in a few gaps in the Batman ethos, the three book I've outlined are a great place to start.

3.0 out of 5 stars Review from / for graphic novel novices, 24 Oct. 2011

The story seemed fragmented, more as if I was coming to it having missed the beginning. To me it also ended mid-stream, just as the narrative was getting interesting. The whole Selina strand was completely undeveloped, like the start of a story that's forgotten. I was also surprised how much Gordon dominated things.

Which brings me to Batman himself. As a fan of the film 'Batman Begins' - and given this is Year One, i.e. the origin of it all - I thought there would be a lot more substance to his backstory. But it's all quite thin and unengaging. In fact, one of my criticisms is how many gaps there are in the story telling. I assume this is intentional and as the reader you're supposed to fill these in - but I felt a bit cheated.

I don't know enough about the artwork to comment on it (though Monsieur DLR tells me it's some of the best).

So overall how was my first graphic novel experience? It was OK (hence 3 stars) I'd certainly try another but I can't say it thrilled me. Sorry to all the fans and 5 star reviewers out there. Like I said: I just don't understand the form.

4.0 out of 5 stars Place to start, 25 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Batman Year One Deluxe SC (Paperback)
Batman year one was my second grapic novel and it was soo awesome. A great plot line written by Frank Miller which tells us the struggle Bruce Wayne has went through since the death of his family and finally finds himself as a true hero who can save his city. This novel centres arounds Bruce Wayne fighting crime and helping people and then finding himself as the Batman. This novel shows us the crime he fights in his first year as Batman. In this novel you will also come across the first encounter of Batman and Jim Gordon which I thought was very awesome. However the reason why I gave this novel a 4 stars is because it does have it's downfalls. Such as the artwork is pretty outdated, I know its an old novel but they could of improved on it. But personally I don't mind it. Also this book skips the part where Bruce Wayne actually becomes the Batman. As it shows him him in his mansion sitting down and deciding he wants to become a bat and then the novel skips straight ahead to when he becomes the Batman. Which was ok I guess, but they could of added the extras. But the thing I disliked the most was the font used for Batman's narrative. I disliked this very much as I personally found it hard to read. I could understand 95% of it but still I found it annoying as it slowed down my pace while reading. But all in all this is a great novel that every batman fan should start with when getting into Batman graphic novels as it centres around the first year of Batman and Jim Gordon in Gotham.

4.0 out of 5 stars My first, but definitely not my last Batman comic!, 9 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Batman Year One Deluxe SC (Paperback)
Unbelievably, despite being a reasonably big fan of the Dark Knight in various forms, from my Saturday mornings spent watch the Grammy winning, 1992 - 1995? Animated Series, to the past few years where we've been rather spoilt by the excellent Arkham video game series and of course, the Dark Knight Trilogy.
Throughout this time, I've considered many times but have never, to my shame, been the owner of an actual Batman comic book!
Having done a little research online, this was the 'go to' Batman comic for the beginner. It is written by Frank Miller of Sin City fame and drawn by David Mazucchelli. The artwork is fantastic and the style is actually closer to the old school camp Batman to the more gothic, post 1980's darker style I'm more familiar with.
The story, as the title suggests, it chronicles the first year of Bruce Wayne's tenure as Batman and Jim Gordon's first year on the GCPD, their paths inevitably intertwine and some other familiar faces on the way.
The story is very interesting as we come across a rookie Bruce Wayne who, despite having spent a considerable amount of time training for his chosen 'profession' is very green and unsure of what he wants to achieve and certainly how to go about it. He gets himself involved in very precarious situations which at times leaves him knocking on Death's door, but we all know he'll survive at least this continuity! Jim Gordon is probably even deeper water as he tries to nullify the numerous rogue elements in the GCPD, without mentioning his private life...
Altogether, I would say a great intro to the Dark Knight comics, loses a mark for me for lack of any real villains and isn't quite as amazing as I was lead to believe (in my opinion anyway) nonetheless, it's done the job and I will definitely buy my second pretty soon!

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting introduction to the world of Batman, 13 Dec. 2014
Killie (Armadale, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Batman Year One Deluxe SC (Paperback)
I picked up “Batman: Year One” by Frank Miller & David Mazzucchelli in order to meet the graphic novel requirement of the 2014 Eclectic Reader Challenge. I will admit that I don’t normally read graphic novels however as a fan of superhero films etc. I have constantly heard of “Batman: Year One” as being the real basis for how we view Batman nowadays. Therefore I decided that this book would be the one I read to complete this element of the challenge.

The novel chronicles both the emergence of Batman and the rise of Jim Gordon through the ranks of law enforcement. The whole thing is very melodramatic and it feels like an 80’s action movie as our hero gets shot, beaten up and hurt in various ways but fights through the pain to get things done. Batman in this novel is a “real man” who goes out and gets thing done then goes on a skiing holiday to recuperate.

It is also definitely aimed at mature audience and it is not something for a young child to read. Miller is more than happy to show us the underbelly of Gotham with violence and prostitution being brought to the fore. However, I found this was undermined a bit by the rather dated 80’s styled images which did tend to undo any grittiness that the story was trying to portray.

In regards to the characters, I actually found Batman to be rather uninteresting to be honest, yes his weaknesses and inexperience showed him to be human but he feels very one dimensional. It is actually Gordon who comes across as a multifaceted character and draws you into the story. He is a good cop trying to do his job in the face of corruption in the police and the city itself. His attempts to maintain his integrity in the fact of vast challenges endears him to the reader.

Overall, I did find this to be an enjoyable novel even if Batman himself was rather uninspiring. It was also interesting to follow the story which actually created the modern Batman genesis mythos.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Story, Exceptional Dialog and Illustration. BATMAN: YEAR ONE. A Critical Review., 23 Sept. 2013
Andre Lawrence (Miami, Florida) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Batman Year One Deluxe SC (Paperback)
As usual with great graphic novels, I'm late to the party again.

BATMAN: YEAR ONE is as the title states, the beginning of Batman's origins.

But, and this is a big but, this is also a deep look into the life of Gotham City's new police chief, Gordon, his wife and new baby, the corrupt city he's now charged with policing and the complicated relationship he has with his lieutenant officer.

This is not the kiddie Batman of my youth.

****

Frank Miller writes in very complex but intriguing terms. The story is understandable by human terms and not supernatural in comic book terms. Batman is equal in terms of his complexity as Gordon and Gotham City is. Bruce is conflicted and tormented by the events of his youth and you see clearly how he fights off his demons.

You also follow how the events of the city and its corrupt officials try desperately to hold on to the mechanisms that keep them in power but puts them at odds with Gordon and subsequently Batman.

The illustrations are one that I'm most relieved with. Having recently read, "The Dark Knight Returns," and being GREATLY disappointed with the illustrative work of Klaus Janson, YEAR ONE has an illustrator who gets it: David Mazzucchelli gets it. (If it weren't for the masterful storytelling of Miller, DARK KNIGHT would have been an epic fail.

This was a perfect collaboration to say the least.

BATMAN: YEAR ONE is a stellar piece of work and most definitely a work of art.

5.0 out of 5 stars Batman Novices: Book One, 9 May 2013
This review is from: Batman Year One Deluxe SC (Paperback)
Batman: Year One, though not my personal favourite, is one of the strongest Batman comics ever to launch from the DC cannon and certainly the best superhero origin story ever told. Making way for the 'modern age' wave of comics, Year One kept the simple premise of Batman's origin whilst tonally shifting into darker territory when compared to it's ancestry following from the success of The Dark Knight Returns. Whether you are new to comics in general, DC, or Batman, Year One is a quintessential gem for the collection.

When Bruce Wayne comes back to Gotham, we are introduced to a pessimistic view of the city that is vile and 'Watchmen-esque'; rampant with crime, corruption and prostitution. We are taken on a journey through the perspectives of both James Gordon; a Police Lieutenant transferred to Gotham due to his troublesome knack for being honest, and Bruce Wayne who we see believably transform from a man with training, into the creature of the night.

The Graphic Novel is superb in many facets, ranging from the iconic scenes and images (i.e. ORIGIN OF THE PEARL IMAGE), to the steady and rewarding pacing, to the mostly realistic and human writing that develops the character into the hero we know and love. If you are a Batman fan then I don't need to persuade you to buy it, however if you aren't then this is the perfect toe dip you need to see whether Batman comics, indeed comics in general are for you.

This is also the definitive copy to get, which includes extra content such as how the comic came to be and an introduction by one of the artists if you are interested in that kind of thing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Year One - Great, but dunno what all the fuss was about..., 25 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Batman Year One Deluxe SC (Paperback)
Year One is a great look at the new origins of the Dark Knight and how he came to be that terrifying detective of the night. I loved how the origins of both the batman and commissioner gordon were intertwined throughout, leading to the epic conclusion in a trusting and respectful relationship between the two. However, i felt that bruce's origin is still left totally blank, i mean i bought this book in the hopes that it would explain exactly where he goes for over a decade to become the bat, but nope, nothing like that. Just a load of ambiguous thoughts as he kicks a tree in half over the course of a few days.
Nice to see an intro to catwoman too, and thoroughly brilliant that each time she shows up, batman steals the show. It also thoroughly grounds batman's origin by showing that he's not invincible; no kevlar or miraculous bulletproof suit, no stupidly formed steroid induced muscles and no 'good thing i brought my suchandsuch in my utility belt!' The guy shows his wits and his skill in a thoroughly impressive and maybe even realistic way. He's also shown as incorruptible and a master of fear, using it to 'punish' the bad guys in charge of gotham's streets, which is nice to see - a reminder that it's not always batman vs super villains, but that he is there for the city and it's people too (although, mainly for himself of course).
Great story, but i felt it missed out some big chunks that everyone who buys this book expects to have explained for them within the epic pages. oh well - still worth the asking price!

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely a great starting point!!, 11 Dec. 2012
Having been a long time Batman Fanatic, I thought it was about time that I actually read one of the real comic books. Having read hundreds of reviews about which is best and I discovered the wonder that was Frank Miller. Having seen every single Batman thing that has ever been created on Screen I thought I was in quite a good position to judge what makes great batman. When I finally settled on Year One, it was because every single review I had read stated that Simply: Year One was the best Batman Graphic Novel ever written.

Now down to the comic itself. Admittedly I was a little disappointed with it when I reached the end. Not because it was a bad story or bad art, on the contrary, the art was beautiful but stylized at the same time that captured the dark tones of batman perfectly, (personally I would have liked Batman to be a little bigger but it wasn't an overriding factor in the story for me) and the story was brilliantly written, I found the re-telling of Batman's origin story to be imaginative and original. and I thought that the story of Jim Gordon was brilliantly done. Some people complained that it focused on him to much but to be honest, even if it did, it was done so well that it doesn't matter.

Where it fell down for me is I didn't have any moments during it that really blew my mind. I got to the end and expected more from it. Maybe it is just me but I just felt that it lacked something. That is why I give it a 4/5 rather than the full on 5 Star.

Overall, if you haven't read Batman before or even if you have, this is a fantastic GN to start with and one I will most certainly read again and again and I hope that you find that WOW factor that I missed.

‹ Previous | 1 2 318 | Next ›

Batman Year One Deluxe SC
Batman Year One Deluxe SC by Frank Miller (Paperback - 7 Feb. 2007)