Format: PaperbackChange

on 3 September 2014
Such an brilliant book and suspenseful a murder mystery story. The 7 issue miniseries by Brad Meltzer, a well known and acclaimed thriller novelist creates a truly suspenseful and dark tale. Sue Dinby, wife of the Elongated Man is preparing her husbands Birthday surprise when an unknown intruder attacks and resulting in Sue's murder. This tale takes a more human look at our heroes, every hero is out searching for the killer while still in fear that their own loved ones could be next.

This was a hugely successful story. I think it is exceptional when writers incorporated a classic genre story into the world of Super-heroes. Green Arrow has a prominent role in the story and long buried secrets come to light. There is a division in the Justice League, a team within a team. It is a great aspect of this story. It will keep you hooked from start to finish and with ramifications for years to come.

Check out my Blog http://supercomicsmovieblog.blogspot.ie/
on 21 March 2008
I have avoided many DC comics titles for many years, being sick of the cosmic scale stries that look pretty but have no depth. Then came Identity Crisis. At it's heart is a murder mystery, cutting at the heart of DC's Justice League, it's also an intimate look at how the characters view themselves and eachother. Told mostly from the point of view of Green Arrow, this is a very human story. I read it several times in the first few weeks of owning it and then leant it to my non comic reading girl-friend. She also loved it, enjoying it's pace and murder mystery elements. Although it leaves a few plot threads untied, surely to tie them up in other titles, it's a good solid story about characters who've been around for years, but you don't really know. A cracking graphic novel with DVD style bonus features, a commentary and making of section at the back. Anyone who's ever heard of Superheroes should read this.
VINE VOICEon 17 November 2007
I am still relatively new to graphic novels in general, and the DC Universe in particular, with this being the first one I have ever read but I must say it has definitely inspired me too seek out more. The story is never less than entertaining, well written and sympathetically told. The plot is also thoroughly engrossing, I originally sat down to read only one or two chapters but ended up reading the entire thing in one sitting, something I haven't done with a book or magazine in years. As someone now to the DC Universe I did have to look up some of the characters on the internet to see who they were but this didn't detract from the enjoyment I got from reading Identity Crisis and I will defiantly be looking into finding out what happens next.
on 20 January 2009
Identity Crisis is masterful. A superb story with great interaction of characters and outstanding art and writing. Getting the story from different perspectives is good and the whole layout is good. As for the story itself it couldnt be better, some great action but really this is about the characters and it works very well. this is the first broad-spanning DC book that I've read and I found it really worthwhile- satisfying some of my staple needs like batman and tickling my fancy with characters I dont usually delve into like plastic man. I would recommend this to anyone as an excellent read.
on 15 August 2012
This is a comic that will be hard for me to review as it is unlike any comic book DC has published before.
At the time of its original release the book gained a lot of attention due to the writer being Brad Meltzer, a Bestselling American author of murder mystery books.

I said that this will be a hard book for me to review as in most of my reviews I like to give a brief summary of the plot but I feel like I cant with this one. Mentioning any part of this story will ruin the plot and in a murder mystery it is very important to let the reader experience the story without knowledge of what will happen.
All I will say about the story is that an event happens which emotionally effects the entire justice league and forces them to look at how they view their families and friends, this leads to a lot of great moments with characters such as batman, green arrow and the flash.
The book reads like it is just a comic book adaptation of a murder mystery novel which is what some people say is a problem but I really enjoy it, it makes the book feel unique and with the amount of comics that I have read that is saying a lot.
Some critics said originally that the book was a bit too dark and the writer treated certain characters like they weren't important but the people who criticised it for that were people that followed comics for a long time while I've only been reading comics for 5 years so to me these things didn't really hinder my enjoyment.

The art has a couple of bad moments, superman for example looks a bit odd is some panels however everything else is pretty much great. The artist Rags Morales really knows how to draw deep emotions in characters, when people such as the elongated man look angry you can see in their face that they could just explode and batman always looks like he is thinking about a hundred different things at once when looking around a crime scene.

DC comic fans will know of the "crisis" books such as "infinite crisis" and "crisis on infinite earths" and although it has the word crisis in the title it is not a "crisis" book.
I would easily recommend this to any comic book fan looking to read something, this may also be good to get someone invested in comics that wouldn't normally read them. If you know someone that likes crime novels and murder mysteries you should give them this book to try out.
Overall 8.5
on 16 May 2015
As a big DC fan, I try to buy the best graphic novels; from DC comics. I have heard a few times, that Identity Crisis was brilliant, so I decided to buy it. The story started off with a bang, but I struggled to get into the story originally. Until about the 3rd chapter, (halfway through). The story started improving, and got me more intreiged. The story is set in a time, when Barry Allen is dead, and Wally is the flash, and Hal Jordan is the spectre, with Kyle Ranger as Green Lantern too. The graphic novel was good, but not as good as I hoped unfortunately.
on 31 December 2011
Before I can say anything else about this book, I have to say that the art isn't really to my taste. However, it's still detailed and lovingly crafted, and gives a good understanding of what's going on, as well as being emotional.

Anyway, the book as a whole is something I'd recommend to any DC fan. Although a little confusing to a complete newcomer, it shifts rapidly between different members of the JLA and serves as a good introduction to certain, lesser-known heroes (I'll be honest, before reading this I didn't even know Elongated Man existed, and didn't know very much about Black Canary, The Flash and several other heroes. I'm still no expert, but I've gotten to know a little more than I did, in an interesting and engaging way).

The plot itself is something I can't fault. The various flashbacks we see enrich the atmosphere and emotional aspects of the story. First and foremost, the story is about the characters, not the other way around. As far as I could tell, nobody was acting out-of-character and the character-driven nature of the plot had me genuinely feeling bad for the characters and genuinely interested in what was going to happen next. The ultimate reveall is asuitably unexpected and creepy, with a fair few red herrings thrown in for good measure.

All in all, this is an excellent book, and well worth a read (or several).
on 19 August 2005
Ever since the epochal Crisis on Infinite Earths Series in the mid-80s, DC have annually produced one 'event' series every year, crossing over into various other titles, wherein all the numerous superheroes of the DC Universe are brought together for some reason or another, like an alien attack in Invasion, or the death of the sun in Final Night. Sometimes these series have an important, long-ranging impact on the DC Universe, like the original Crisis. Other times they are just so much sound and fury, like Genesis or Zero Hour. Identity Crisis is 2004's big effort and falls somewhere in the middle.
The plot concerns the murder of Sue Dibny, the wife of the Elongated Man. Unable to catch her killer, the fear that someone has found out the secret identities of the superheroes and is targeting their family members draws the heroes closer together, and also causes old secrets to rise to the surface. The job of writing this fell to Brad Meltzer, most famous as a thriller novelist, whose only previous comic work (that I know of) is a well-received run on Green Arrow, who has a significant role in this. Meltzer proves with this series that he has a considerable aptitude for comic-book writing. His script is littered with memorable scenes, like the fight between Deathstroke and the Justice League. The murder mystery itself is compelling throughout the series, but, although there are clues and foreshadowing throughout, providing for a rewarding second reading, the revelation of the killer's identity was greeted with a general sense of disappointment when originally printed. It is an intriguing ending but not necessarily one that bears being examined too closely.
Identity Crisis is different from most of DC's big events in that it is very small scale. Whereas in Zero Hour or Crisis on Infinite Earths we are witness to the destruction and recreation of the universe anew (Worlds will live, worlds will die and nothing will ever be the same), here it is more about the human side of the heroes, about the interactions between the different heroes and their families. While the more outlandish and powerful characters, like Mister Miracle, the Metal Men and Superman, are used, and used well, the heart of the story lies in characters like Green Arrow and Batman. In essence, it is a detective story, and even when Wonder Woman plays a part it is in the role of interrogator of a murder suspect. For forgoing the all-too-predictable cosmic apocalypse scenario in favour of a more intimate story, DC should be applauded. The great triumph of the story is in its characterization. Very rarely in the history of DC have the heroes felt so realistic, so believable as people. The funeral of Sue Dibny at the end of the first issue is startling in its emotional impact, and the relationship between Batman and Robin is very nicely portrayed. Many fans have complained that the only real effects the story has are the deaths of a couple of supporting characters, including Sue Dibny who has not really been featured for years, and of a similarly unused superhero, Firestorm, whose death is strangely rushed and not really befitting a formerly great character. This much is true, but the real impact of the story, hopefully, is that it introduces a new depth of character to the DCU. The villains have greater depth and individuality and the heroes interactions are more complex. No longer the superfriends, there are secrets and grudges, and a pervasive sense that their individual moral stances are not so clear-cut as they would like to think.
The biggest problem with this series is that it fails to resolve all of the issues it raises. To find out how much Dr. Light has remembered you have to continue the story in Teen Titans and JLA. The war suit that is the focus of the Elongated Man's attentions in the first issue is not mentioned again in the series, only elsewhere, and the subplot with Black Lightning and Katana has no real impact on the storyline. Its only relevance is to Outsiders readers. However, for those who simply wish to read a well-written, well-constructed story (for the first six issues anyway) with outstanding characterization this is about as good as it gets. The only real downside is that you may find yourselves ineluctably drawn to the nearest comic shop to find out more, and after that it's impossible to escape. In a lot of ways Identity Crisis now seems like only a prelude to DC's big event this year, Infinite Crisis, and this one is guaranteed to break the bank.
0Comment22 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 May 2012
Identity Crisis is a very enjoyable and reasonably straight forward comic book. It's a murder mystery that follows most of the DC Universe characters uncovering various details as they hunt for the killer. I really enjoyed reading this book, both the scripting and art. It's made up of seven issues and can be read as a stand alone, although there is alot of connections to the past throughout the story. Identity Crisis is a good modern comic book, based on classic characters that has plenty of action but also a good plot.
on 26 September 2013
I had this on my 'must read' list for months and I finally got around to it. Can I just say 'WOW!' This is definitely my favourite story arc I've read because it's funny when it isn't tearing your heart out. Beautifully written and so emotive that I cried twice while reading it. Even if you know what' coming up, it still catches you off guard.
A must-read for all DC fans, honestly (especially since it focuses on family/personal relationships rather than SOLELY being heroes)