Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 August 2006
I bought the first Promethea book ages ago, when it came out, and it totally failed to arouse my interest. Sticking some pseudo-historical and mythological bits n' bobs on Wonder Woman didn't impress me much. A rare disappointment from Alan Moore, i thought.

I picked up the second volume idly, when i was killing time waiting for a bus in Dublin, because that's the kind of spendthrift impulse buyer i am, god help me. It changed my view.

Since then it's only gotten better. It's not the book i thought it was waaaaay back in its first volume, it's not even close. I thought it was one more attempt to crowbar another cookie-cutter superhero title onto the shelves, but in truth it's closer to a bible. A sacred book.

There are bad guys, but they're almost blink-and-you-miss-'em. There are super powers, but they rarely come into play. What there is mostly is a deep respect for learning and a powerful desire to understand. Ouselves first, and then our universe as an extension of that newfound understanding, if and when it comes.

I don't understand it, so i won't try to explain it, but there are ideas at play in these books that stick with me, and fascinate me, and enrich my life. I love them.

So sorry, Alan. I dissed you in the wrong. Another great title. Well done.
on 12 September 2011
Well, that depends on whether you want to read an "ordinary" graphic novel -- a plot and some action -- or whether you're "into" ritual magick and understand a bit about the Kabbalah..... because the main structure of this story is based around the heroine's journey up through sepiroth (and the Abyss) on the Tree of Life (Chesed, D'aath, Binah, Chokmah and Kether, to be exact).

If this doesn't mean anything much to you, then I would imagine you'll wander through the book in a slight daze, wondering what the heck is going on, and maybe why you bothered at all.

But if you're interested in magick, this is a tour-de-force, with plenty of references to pick up, and it will probably teach you more about the "spheres" than a lot of other well-meaning but dry tomes.

Should be on every magickal book shelf!
on 1 December 2010
More brilliance from Alan Moore. I am not really into mysticism but this was fascinating.
It is in no way a conventional superhero comic so that might put some people off.
The artwork was staggeringly good as well.
on 13 October 2015
A brilliant series! She is one of Alan Moore's best creations.