5.0 out of 5 stars Simplicity itself
These are great little e-readers. The display is clear. The storage is good. The Nook store is more than adequate. The device is easy to set up and within a few minutes my children were reading some of their favourite authors.

Published 14 months ago by Mr. N. J. Todman

2.0 out of 5 stars Good E-reader - poor battery life
I have a Kindle DX, which is excellent, but I wanted a smaller alternative for train journeys, etc. Bought one of these for a bargain price (29) as I really don't like the Kindle Fire (my wife has one). The Nook is a good little reader, and I can get loads of free stuff from Project Gutenberg, which satisfies my reading needs. However, the battery life is pretty...
Published 12 months ago by Stu

5.0 out of 5 stars Simplicity itself, 4 May 2013
Mr. N. J. Todman "mr_todtastic" - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: NOOK Simple Touch eBook Reader (Electronics)

However there is a whole other level with these. It is possible to root the device so that it works on Android. Once you have done that the sky is the limit. It can get your gmail, access the Kindle store and even surf the web with Opera Mobile. For the price that is amazing! Considering the E-Ink even works in bright sunlight, this could act as an adequate backup to a more pricey tablet or smart phone. If you are interested just type "rooting Nook Simple Touch" into Google and follow the step by step instructions.

We just bought two of these for our children aged 7 and 9. Shop around and you can get one for under 30. As a parent both the price and the limitations of the device, without the rooting to Android, were appealing. At under 30 if anything goes wrong it isn't going to break the bank to get another one. But also if this ran games and the internet I would have no idea what my children were using this for. This way they can take theirs to bed and I have peace of mind.

I can't recommend this highly enough. The tablet market is crowded but, in my view, e-readers still have their place because the E-Ink is so much more restful on the eye and the lack of distractions from other functions make it much closer to picking up a book. Enjoy simplicity itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good design, 11 Aug 2013
Mr. D. Petre (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NOOK Simple Touch eBook Reader (Electronics)
I bought one for 29 then my wife bought another. The product is focussed on reading and avoids anything else.
I am the type of guy who likes to mess with the software, I have installed hacked firmware on my camera, NAS and PVR. I could root the Nook but it would be a shame to turn it into Jack of all trades. It is stripped of all possible nonsense that would get in the way of reading a book and better keep it this way. I'd rather not use it to play games of browse the net.

Battery life is supposed to be 2 months but normal use is less than that, maybe unused with wifi off could reach that. I cannot say how much it would last, I plug it to transfer files and is getting charged from time to time. Not a problem.

I am using calibre to find free books and transfer them, pdf files can be dropped through the USB cable, B&N has a decent store but I feel no need to use it.

I used to read a lot and I love books. I used to say e-readers are pointless and I'd rather read a book. Still, I am a bit of a geek and bought it because it is cheap. Well, is a joy to use and I do use it every day. The only problem I would find is the buttons on the edge are stiff but touching the screen does the same job (turn the page). Most of the time can be used with one hand, it is lightish, small enough to be taken anywhere and provide a choice of books.

Even if you prefer hard copy books, get an one, it is worth it. So many free books available, so easy to carry, so easy to use, you will find the occasion when is more convenient than a book.

It has some small problems but given the price it deserves 5 starts. If you'd rather have something better there is the glow model (just to read without a light in bed) or other manufacturers but stay with e-ink screens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, 30 July 2013
C. Mckenna (Belfast, Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NOOK Simple Touch eBook Reader (Electronics)
I am delighted with this little gadget.
I stare at computer screen all day so an ereader is a more comfortable way to read in the evening. I've never owned a kindle but I've handled them before and to my mind this product is much better. The wider rubbery flange around the screen is actually perfect for easy grip.

I am was also pleasantly surprised with how it handles PDFs. It will reflow the text to a size of your choosing. The smallest text size will reveal the full page in its original format albeit it might be too small to read that like. There is no zoom function for PDFs, but all in all I am very pleased with the PDF function.

PDF function and a mini SD slot give this product the edge over the kindle.

It would seem the nook store has a bit less choice than the kindle store, but with the option of pdfs there will always be something to read on my nook.

And look out for the 29 offer, what a bargain.

There is a bit of a craze for "rooting" these nooks, whereby you hack the device so that is runs android. I've been tempted to try it but right now I'm very pleased with what it does off the shelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars 29 NEW, just about everywhere now!, 6 May 2013
This review is from: NOOK Simple Touch eBook Reader (Electronics)
The Nook Simple Touch is less than 30 just about everywhere now, which is why I just purchased one. This has entered my top ten gadgets of the past decade, alongside the Nexus 7, Joybee GP2 and the Galaxy SIII among others. Not much to say about it really, other than everything about it is just pick up and go or plug in and go. epub books can be bunged in the Books folder or on a Micro SD card via simple cut/copy and paste. No daft mp3 features or anything like that. I'd rather have something that's a master of one task - which the Nook is - rather than a jack of them all. Makes things very straightforward. Even if you only read the occasional book, there's no excuse for not owning one now with the 29 price tag!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 22 July 2013
This review is from: NOOK Simple Touch eBook Reader (Electronics)
Get the one with the light if you want to read in bed though. The Glow version though the battery life suffers if you use the light

5.0 out of 5 stars my little book!, 5 July 2013
This review is from: NOOK Simple Touch eBook Reader (Electronics)
What a fabulous piece of equipment with a fabulous price tag. So easy to use and carry around with you. I highly recommend this even if you don.t read an awful lot...so cheap its a must. The delivery was exceptionally quick... Love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great e reader, 2 July 2013
This review is from: NOOK Simple Touch eBook Reader (Electronics)
This little e reader is just as good as the kindle. Easy to upload books and reads great in the sun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant E Reader, 6 Aug 2013
This review is from: NOOK Simple Touch eBook Reader (Electronics)
All I wanted was something simple to use, didn't want to pay Kindle prices. This sure is what it says. Simple Touch Reader. Great value. Would recommend to anyone who just likes reading books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nook simple touchtastic, 29 Jun 2013
This review is from: NOOK Simple Touch eBook Reader (Electronics)
I've got a kindle 3 keyboard and now the nook. In terms of ease of use - nook wins hands down:
I read a lot of reviews about the kindle and was concerned about how long it would last before breaking down. Tech reviews were good for the nook and to justify buying another e-reader, I thought the nook has to be so much better than the kindle - and it was...
Here are the benefits:

1. touch screen - refresh milisecs slower than kindle but not significantly to be an issue.
2. better font choice and more black than kindle.
3. shade of grey is paler - therefore better contrast.
4. It is lighter.
5. Better made device in terms of quality of the plastic, more robust and durable.
6. Only 29 pounds - a bargain!
7. Very easy to get books on epub

ALl in all - a bargain quality product that will last me for years!

5.0 out of 5 stars NOOK Simple Touch eBook Reader, 1 Dec 2013
This review is from: NOOK Simple Touch eBook Reader (Electronics)
After reading a lot of the reviews on e-readers, we plumbed for this one, because of the expansion slot, and we are very happy with it, it ticks all the boxes for us. Highly recommended. Great battery life easy to read even in bright sunlight.

NOOK Simple Touch eBook Reader