5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting reading, 12 Aug 2011
This review is from: Lead Like Jesus Repack (Paperback)
I enjoyed this book and found it easy to read. The leadership principles contained therein don't just apply to "formal leadership" like the workplace; they can apply to any aspect of our lives where we have influence e.g. parenting. The authors teaching is clearly and systematically presented using practical examples and relevant Bible quotations and excerpts from other writers.
I recommend this book to all Christians but I would especially love for every church leader to read and apply it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Leadersip, 18 Mar 2014
This review is from: Lead Like Jesus Repack (Paperback)
This is an excellent, thought provoking look at a concept many have never consider, the leadership qualities displayed by Jeses

5.0 out of 5 stars This book provides all you need to know about management., 16 Feb 2014
This book provides all you need to know about managing yourself and others. It is based on biblical principles but is very relevant today

4.0 out of 5 stars Making the oxymoron - servant leadership - concrete, 16 Nov 2013
This is not an easy book to attempt to write because it is on well-trodden ground. Even kids at Sunday school would have learnt at some point that Jesus is the Servant King, who came to serve and not to be served. This defines Jesus; if we have been exposed to bible teaching, we will have our understanding of what this means. To write something ground-breaking on a concept so familiar is difficult.

This book to me was a challenge to read because it sounded so familiar in many places that I found difficult to stay focus and gave it the attention that it deserved. Another difficulty stems from the fact that it combines two genres, which confuses my brain. It is neither a bible study nor a book on behavioural science. It is something in between.

This book encourages self-reflection. I think if you would like to gain most out of the book, you would have to give it time, to pause and reflect, just as the authors have suggested right at the beginning. It would have been a very useful exercise to answer the questions posed, not only to see how things apply to oneself but also to retain the points that have been read.

The major contribution of reading this book to me is to gain some framework to organise our understanding and make Jesus' leadership model more concrete. For example, the framework of Heart - Head - Hands - Habits, is catchy. The most revolutionary idea I gain from this book is how it reconciles the seemingly internally incoherent concept of servant leadership. I like the visual aid of how the pyramid is the right way up with the visionary role and is turned upside down with the implementation role. I think it is true that more often than not, the leadership pyramid is never turned in our real life experience. It does give a new perspective, and provide the terminology to articulate the problems that we have known so well. In this sense, it challenges us to think and do things differently.

The description of self-serving leaders is also helpful. It is neat to trace the behavioural traits to pride and fear. They are then further developed into interactions with followers and in turn define relationships that are characterised by suspicion/ paralysis, conflict / competition, exploitation or manipulation. These terms we have all heard and used but now we can see the dynamics through which they come about.

As I read along, my reflection is that probably our leadership is never consistent in all aspects. We have traits of both self-serving and servant leaders. The book makes us more aware of what we are doing, and highlights the areas that we might not have applied Jesus' example.

The best quote from the book is, "The best use of power is not to have to use it at all. People follow great leaders because they respect them, not because they have power." (p.67) Ever since that quote, I was looking for why people willingly followed a leader, or how a leader could earn the respect of his followers, in the book. But I don't think it really talks from the followers' perspective, or perhaps I have missed the point?

The temptation while reading the book is to keep jumping our target of assessment from one leader to another and in different roles. I would suggest that one stays focused on self-assessment in different roles, because primarily this is a book aiming at self rather than assessing other leaders in your life. Having been through the exercise on oneself, then perhaps we can move on to cross check leaders in our life quite for understanding and information. That too may be illuminating and in turn give us insights into our relationships with our church leaders or bosses for example.

Lead Like Jesus Repack
Lead Like Jesus Repack by Ken Blanchard (Paperback - 30 Sep 2008)
9.08