Who do you think you are?
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:£9.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 12 March 2013
Mark Driscoll uses Paul's letter to the church in Ephesus as a outline for exploring our identity in Christ. This book seeks to dispel some of the myths that we might form about ourselves based on our experiences by detailing Biblical truth as a foundation for how God see's us

I really appreciated the structure of this book, being based on scripture it moves from a sentimental 'God loves us' book and moves to a book of foundational truths that can free you and I in areas of our lives where we may have been bound in the past

This book was really interesting, I enjoyed the mix between stories and doctrine. It's a book that you could use as a bed time read, but it also includes some really good sections that helped me to describe my doctrine more clearly (The section on spiritual gifts). In that sense, If I were to sum it up, I'd say it balances inspiration and theology really well.

I didn't agree with everything that Pastor Mark wrote, but I did agree with most of it. I felt it was conveyed really effectively. It has kept my attention and has re-iterated some of the things that I am free to do and be through Jesus

One particular area that has blessed me is the reminder that I am a child of God, a co-heir with Christ. That is my identity and I should be secure and safe in that identity regardless of what other people say, do or think

I recommend this book, it's definitely worth a read
on 1 June 2013
The book tells you exactly who you are in Christ using Ephesians as the basis. Each chapter is a different element of our identity as God's child. Really helpful book for somebody like me who believes these things for other Christians, but not for myself.
I highly recommend this book for any Christian struggling to find joy or who is battling with where they find their identity.
Mark Driscoll also has a sermon series that matches with the book on the mars hill website.
on 8 April 2014
Mark Driscoll is known as a controversial author and preacher, but I hadn’t ever read anything by him and so wanted to read him for myself. He is the founding pastor of Mars Hill Church in Seattle, among the fastest growing churches in the country, the creator of Resurgence (a Christian leadership website), and cofounder of the Acts 29 Network.

Who Do You Think You Are? focuses on the area of self-identity, something that is one of the biggest struggles in the UK. The book attempts to answer how a Christian’s identity comes from a different perspective, and how that can influence the way we live. To do this Driscoll uses the book of Ephesians.

The book is straightforward if a little boring – it certainly didn’t capture me and leave me wanting to read more.
on 12 February 2014
I found this book really hard going.

I know Mark Driscoll is a controversial figure and can engender great loyalty or...quite the opposite. I decided to put that to one side and read the book on its own merits.

Driscoll goes through the book of Ephesians, using it to look at various aspects of a Christian's identity (he takes it as a given that Paul is the author although there is a debate on that issue). There's a lot of what he says I agree with, as well as other parts where I wriggled about a bit. But I found it hard to engage with the content as I found the writing so heavy.

I'm not sure why, if I'm honest! It was hard to read - it didn't keep my attention. The content was very Reformed/Conservative, as I would expect from the author, and this resulted in a lot of `Christianese'. I think this was part of the problem for me - there was little `freshness' in what he was saying. There was no `find a new way of saying something old', at least not in my view. And there was little I hadn't already heard before.

I liked the fact the author wasn't on the cover. I think this should only happen with biographies - otherwise you feel the book is more about the author and not the cove! Driscoll doesn't make the book about himself, or climb up on any personal hobby horse, which is good.

It felt quite...simplistic and black and white in places, although there were nuances I didn't expect. He does refer to commentaries and other writers, which I appreciated, as it's good to know a writer has been reading, and not just drawing from his own thinking. However, I felt it was more like an extended sermon than a book.

It's OK. It's not a book to inspire controversy. I like the premise and there are other moments where I connected with what the author was saying. I liked how he emphasised that we do not need to be defined by anything other than Christ - we are not pigeon-holed by our past, our sins or our experiences. We are in Christ. That's where our identity comes from.

I felt the terminology was both overly-familiar (for the long time Christian) but might also be a stumbling block for those new to faith (not crossing the cultural communication divide). It's American in style and language, which is not a negative per se, but can be harder to read for us European types with our love of subtlety! It's a certain school of theology, which would jar with some, but I'm not averse to reading across theological streams. I don't mind reading different opinions or `takes' on a subject; I think it's healthy to do so. Sometimes we lean towards one interpretation but can still seek to understand and appreciate another.

The book just didn't grip me.

I received this book free from the publisher through the BookLook Bloggers [...] book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.