Shop now Shop now Shop now Up to 70% off Fashion Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Amazon Pantry Food & Drink Beauty Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now

Format: PaperbackChange

on 2 January 2011
I purchased this product following a recommendation on a charity website that I frequent. I didn't expect a lot from it - perhaps just a standard: there is hope message. Instead what I got was a interesting and thoughtful read. Something that at times made me chuckle and at others had me surprised and moved by the raw honesty. The premise of the book is that we all live our own stories and this is something that is well explored throughout.

I enjoyed the book - read through it in a few hours as I couldn't put it down. I'd recommend it to anyone that has reached a point in their life where they are wondering what next? I'm very tempted to look through his other books as well which, to me, is the sign of a great read.
on 25 September 2010
This book is hard to review; it is a beautifully crafted intertwining of self help, spirituality and self disclosure.

It's premise is that by discovering what makes a movie script interesting and meaningful and applying those principals to your life, you will live a meaningful and interesting life. It covers Miller's own transformation from dreamy couch-potato to someone who does stuff, profound, fun, hard, interesting, risky, stuff. By doing so he finds meaning and hope. And he tells stories about inspiring people. You will want to meet him and his friends.

The prose is lackadaisical and has a beat poetry like feel to it that belies the profundities that are hidden within. And it is an easy read - almost too easy because you can catch yourself missing what he is saying as you float along on his easy style, but maybe that is just me.

My one issue - read this book if you are stuck in a rut, bored, stressed and looking for inspiration, but probably not if you are profoundly, significantly depressed because it may read like a prolonged urging to "just pull yourself together and get on with it." and the guilt and self condemnation that follows when you can't may make things worse. Read it when you have travelled a few miles along the road to recovery and then, well, see where the story leads you.

PS.Why ever has no one else reviewed this book? I feel a bit vulnerable out here on my own!
on 17 October 2013
First of all, let me make something clear - this book is incredible. Don's journeys and challenges, even his conversations, are incredible insightful and interesting. Here's a man just wanting to write a story and he realises he has to LIVE his story to write it down.
His theory that Life is just a story to be lived is actually really heart-warming. It's perhaps a bit naïve to think so, but therein lies the book's secret weapon: Donald Miller is not a brilliant writer; he writes quite basically and from a position of unknowing innocence. But that's not a bad thing because, at the end of the day, none of us know ANYTHING about life. This clever device makes A Million Miles in a Thousand Years a universal book that anyone can relate to. Very funny and yet devastatingly heartbreaking in places, it's a quite phenomenal read.
I'd be very surprised if you weren't a tad inspired after putting it down.
on 17 May 2014
This is the story of what happens when two film-makers want to make a movie about Donald Miller’s life. He learns – and explains, with anecdotes – about the ways film characters vary from real life, and in doing so explores some of his own hang-ups and longings.

He learns, too, about living a story.. and finds himself on a physically painful long bike-ride to raise money for charity, and an emotionally difficult journey trying to find out about the father he never knew. Written in his apparently random way, this is highly readable, often moving, frequently thought-provoking, and definitely recommended.
on 27 December 2013
This is an incredible, honest book. As you read the challenges Miller faces you identify and find yourself seeking the same goal, hungry to step up, step out and find similar meaning in life. Worthwhile reading for anyone who thinks that there may be more to their story and wants to discover how to discover it. I'd highly recommend it.
on 26 October 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and had finished it within 24 hours of its arrival. As a writer, he is both captivating and hilarious, with that unique ability to have you feel like you are chatting with him over a cup of coffee.
Excellent book, which has also personally challenged me in my story of life.
on 4 April 2014
This book was recommended by a friend and I loved it: I didn't want it to end. I am glad I bought the book rather than the kindle version as I will lift it again and again. If this book doesn't inspire you to get up and do something ,nothing will.
on 23 March 2015
this book is amazing! very inspiring, very easy to read, it flows along as if Don is chatting to you.
Makes you stop and thing about your life... "to live a better story"

would thoroughly recommend
on 30 April 2014
This is one of my favourite books ever and we've bought it for so many of our friends. Really makes you think about how to get the best out of life. Very thought provoking. Easy to read and very entertaining
on 29 January 2014
I have given this book to 6 friends already because it is an easy read but also inspires you to live a better story without making you feel like it's too hard or that the life you've got is rubbish.