5.0 out of 5 stars Moving, gentle, inspiring and real.
This book is hard to review; it is a beautifully crafted intertwining of self help, spirituality and self disclosure.

Published on 25 Sep 2010 by Timothy J. Knight

2.0 out of 5 stars God Warning.
I should have known really. An American book about life changing events. I looked in the description to see if it was religious and there was nothing there. God, heaven etc. is on almost every page so avoid it if you dislike that claptrap. Shame, it is quite an interesting book apart from that.
Published 22 days ago by Dalrannoch

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving, gentle, inspiring and real., 25 Sep 2010
This review is from: Million Miles in a Thousand Years (Paperback)

It's premise is that by discovering what makes a movie script interesting and meaningful and applying those principals to your life, you will live a meaningful and interesting life. It covers Miller's own transformation from dreamy couch-potato to someone who does stuff, profound, fun, hard, interesting, risky, stuff. By doing so he finds meaning and hope. And he tells stories about inspiring people. You will want to meet him and his friends.

The prose is lackadaisical and has a beat poetry like feel to it that belies the profundities that are hidden within. And it is an easy read - almost too easy because you can catch yourself missing what he is saying as you float along on his easy style, but maybe that is just me.

My one issue - read this book if you are stuck in a rut, bored, stressed and looking for inspiration, but probably not if you are profoundly, significantly depressed because it may read like a prolonged urging to "just pull yourself together and get on with it." and the guilt and self condemnation that follows when you can't may make things worse. Read it when you have travelled a few miles along the road to recovery and then, well, see where the story leads you.

PS.Why ever has no one else reviewed this book? I feel a bit vulnerable out here on my own!

5.0 out of 5 stars An intriguing read, 2 Jan 2011
This review is from: Million Miles in a Thousand Years (Paperback)
I purchased this product following a recommendation on a charity website that I frequent. I didn't expect a lot from it - perhaps just a standard: there is hope message. Instead what I got was a interesting and thoughtful read. Something that at times made me chuckle and at others had me surprised and moved by the raw honesty. The premise of the book is that we all live our own stories and this is something that is well explored throughout.

I enjoyed the book - read through it in a few hours as I couldn't put it down. I'd recommend it to anyone that has reached a point in their life where they are wondering what next? I'm very tempted to look through his other books as well which, to me, is the sign of a great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Naive Masterpiece..., 17 Oct 2013
First of all, let me make something clear - this book is incredible. Don's journeys and challenges, even his conversations, are incredible insightful and interesting. Here's a man just wanting to write a story and he realises he has to LIVE his story to write it down.
His theory that Life is just a story to be lived is actually really heart-warming. It's perhaps a bit nave to think so, but therein lies the book's secret weapon: Donald Miller is not a brilliant writer; he writes quite basically and from a position of unknowing innocence. But that's not a bad thing because, at the end of the day, none of us know ANYTHING about life. This clever device makes A Million Miles in a Thousand Years a universal book that anyone can relate to. Very funny and yet devastatingly heartbreaking in places, it's a quite phenomenal read.
I'd be very surprised if you weren't a tad inspired after putting it down.

2.0 out of 5 stars God Warning., 17 Jun 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Editing his story, 17 May 2014
This is the story of what happens when two film-makers want to make a movie about Donald Miller’s life. He learns – and explains, with anecdotes – about the ways film characters vary from real life, and in doing so explores some of his own hang-ups and longings.

He learns, too, about living a story.. and finds himself on a physically painful long bike-ride to raise money for charity, and an emotionally difficult journey trying to find out about the father he never knew. Written in his apparently random way, this is highly readable, often moving, frequently thought-provoking, and definitely recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book, 30 April 2014
This is one of my favourite books ever and we've bought it for so many of our friends. Really makes you think about how to get the best out of life. Very thought provoking. Easy to read and very entertaining

5.0 out of 5 stars How to create yourself, 4 April 2014
The best book I have read about living life right I have read to date. Steve jobs said you should create yourself, not find yourself - this is the roadmap on how to do it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Million Miles in a Thousand Years is a great title, 4 April 2014
This book was recommended by a friend and I loved it: I didn't want it to end. I am glad I bought the book rather than the kindle version as I will lift it again and again. If this book doesn't inspire you to get up and do something ,nothing will.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 22 Mar 2014
T. King (Portadown, Armagh United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I like Miller's blog and that's what drew me to his books. Bought two of them on the same day, this being one, and really found both very very boring.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring a better life, 29 Jan 2014
I have given this book to 6 friends already because it is an easy read but also inspires you to live a better story without making you feel like it's too hard or that the life you've got is rubbish.

Million Miles in a Thousand Years
Million Miles in a Thousand Years by Donald Miller (Paperback - 29 Sep 2009)
10.08