I read this book as a natural follow on from the Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter series (Amazon told me that people who buy the Anita Blake books also buy this book). Although there are some similarities in themes - Vampires and Werewolves - these books are actually quite different in terms of style.

Kitty is a radio DJ with the midnight till 3am slot and she finds...
Published on 31 July 2006 by Helen Hancox

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but....
I have to say even although the book did have an alright plot line and the action scenes were good, there was just something that didn't quite make it great.

It's not quite up there with the likes of L. K. Hamilton (early ones), Kelley Armstrong or Kim Harrison, but it wasn't bad.

Not worth a second read IMO, though.

The female lead was...
Published on 27 Jun. 2006 by Amy Connolly

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but...., 27 Jun. 2006
Amy Connolly "book addict" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

Not worth a second read IMO, though.

The female lead was strong and beleavable, the plot exciting, the other characters interesting, but it didn't really capture me as others have.

The plot has been mentioned before, so i wont go into it. I'd say it's a good werewolf flick to fill the time waiting for another book to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun and an interesting exploration of what it might be like to be a werewolf, 31 July 2006
Helen Hancox "Auntie Helen" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Kitty is a radio DJ with the midnight till 3am slot and she finds herself running a talk show about vampires, werewolves and other not-quite-human beings. Many of her callers are part of these groupings, and Kitty knows all about it as she herself is a Werewolf. We hear a lot about her pack with its leader (Alpha male) Carl and the Alpha female Meg, as well as T J, Kitty's closest friend in the pack.

The radio show is a great success but then Kitty is "outed" as a Werewolf and her life changes. She is the target of a werewolf exterminator, the police want to talk to her about a rogue werewolf that is murdering humans and her family are shocked that she hadn't told them. Plus Kitty finds her pack position as "baby" no longer fits and she starts to exert her authority and try to move up the ranks. Will this ever be possible?

What's great about this book is the way that Carrie Vaughn writes the Wolf pack parts. What would it be like to be part of a pack with all that entails (Alpha males getting to mate with whomever they choose). Kitty is trying to stay alive but her human side is also part of her wolf nature and she can't settle.

I really enjoyed this book - it's more lighthearted than the Anita Blake series although some of the subjects are quite deep and there is blood and gore. It's a fun read, though, which I would recommend. I've ordered the follow-up Kitty Goes To Washington after enjoying this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good read!!, 8 Jan. 2006
When I picked up this book, I thought "werewolf, DJ, Denver - this is going to be pretty predictable." I'm glad to say was wrong!! Kitty is a werewolf, no surprise there, but she's at the bottom of the pecking order in her pack where she relies on her relationship with fellow pack member and Beta wolf, TJ. This dynamic was really interesting as any other book I've read involving werewolves glosses over the social/pack system and Ms. Vaughn really brings this forth and you suddenly realise how important it is to both Kitty the human and Kitty the wolf.
The two different personas of Kitty (human v wolf) is also excellently rendered, Ms Vaughn really makes you understand that human and animal are very different and at odds with each other. Kitty is strong and determined when it comes to her extremely successful late night radio show "The Midnight Hour" (which is a supernatural talk-show) but in regards to hunting or the pack, Kitty is weak and self-conscious.
There are many interesting characters throughout the book, and as I think Ms Vaughn intended, Kitty, Rick and Cormac stand out and I really hope to see more of both (I wont give details but lets just say there is an outstanding scene with Cormac’s introduction and Rick [a vampire] has something powerful about him that really deserves exploring). Ms Vaughn also sets the possibility of further Kitty adventures (indeed there is an extract of "Kitty Goes To Washington" in the back) with unresolved issues with the Church of Pure Faith and pack alphas Carl and Meg.
The hostility towards Kitty as she develops inner strength and resolve learns to come to terms with her dual nature and increasing determination towards keeping her radio show, pack relations and developing her human self are ongoing themes. I truly couldn’t put this book down and read it cover-to-cover in hours it gripped me so much, and that doesn’t even begin to cover the tension when hunting for a murdered showing signs of being a rogue werewolf. . . .

5.0 out of 5 stars Dr Kitty novel., 9 Jan. 2006
Dr Kitty appeared first in a short story which you can find on Carrie's web site. If you like it, you'll love the novel.
While the book is about werewolves, vampires and radio talk shows, those are just background onto which stories unfolds and characters interact. All the characters are detailed, multi-dimensional and compelling -- especially the bad guys. The main plot line is well constructed, logical and at times fiendish. The other plot lines fore shadow events to come, leaving the reader longing for the follow up books. It's well worth reading the book twice. The first time for the plot line and action. The second time for what is said in the talk show.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 6 Aug. 2006
I liked the way Carrie Vaughen writes about Kitty and her wolf, how it's always there lurking inside her. It's refreshing to see she's not by any means head of the food chain in fact in this book we see her slowly finding her feet.

I thought the possible romance angle was interesting but sudden however it does fit with her trained submissiveness to look for a stronger person to care for her. Thankfully I believe as the series progresses we'll see her gaining that strength herself.

Other characters are interesting and I look forward to seeing more of the vamps in the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 9 Mar. 2008
Ana C. Mackenzie "Katie" (south africa) - See all my reviews
I thought that this was a very intense and fun book. I loved the idea of a werewolf that is a DJ. It is refreshing to have a heroine who is afraid to do things and not just a brazen girl who all the men fall in love with on first sight. Kitty actually thinks over things and gets frightened with all the supernatural creatures and makes mistakes, so it is easier to relate to her when she acts all human and not all mysterious and "out-of-this-world".

Kitty is just beginning to find her feet and speak out in this book and I can't wait to see what she does in the next book now that she is more independent and not kissing the alphas (Carls) feet. It was on a sad note to finish the book on, but I think that Kitty is strong enough to cope. this was a great book and I think that everyone will enjoy this (except the saddos who don't write anything good in their reveiws for this book).

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly enjoyable., 4 Jan. 2013
finalguy (Newport (Wales)) - See all my reviews
For one of my first re-reads of the year, I decided to go with the Kitty Norville series, mainly because I honestly can't remember too much of them. I remember at the time I first read them they were simply little enjoyable (but not amazing books) that I eventually dropped as other series took over.

Where as before, this series was slightly above average...the continued slide of the genre itself has now moved these up to be a good series. The first starts off with a lot of the problems most debut's do, but overshadows them with a cast of enjoyable characters and an enjoyable, if over-simplified plot.

This is primarily a shifter book, so it is mostly about pack politics and while her rise up the ranks happen rather quickly, I liked that in the beginning she was on the very bottom and needed protection. It also focuses on the wolfpack relations of the animal variety, with the alpha getting his choice of women, and even making them pay him for his protection. Her wolf is also treated as another side of herself with it's own emotions that can conflict with hers, which I liked. The mystery, is simple yet fine, but I appreciated it wasn't some huge good vs evil stand, and more a simple case of jealousy within the pack.

Overall, a perfectly enjoyable but not perfect debut that no doubt got lost within an over-saturated genre.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Start to an Intersting Werewolve Series, 13 April 2009
This is the first book in the Kitty Series about a radio DJ werewolve who starts a chatline that attracts problems from supernatural beings.

Kitty's character starts off quite submissive but matures and becomes more dominant as the story progesses. The main story line covers Kitty's involvement in the investigation into a series of brutal murders committed by a rogue werewolve.

For a while I was put off buying this book because to me the title sounded as if it was aimed at young adults however having read it I don't now think it is.

It is nicely paced introducing us to Kitty, her pack , her job and her history while still keeping the plot exciting.

I recommend this book to anyone who likes werewolf books however be warned there is next to no romance in this particular story.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kitty and the Midnight Hour, 1 Jun. 2012
My opinion of this book, and of Kitty as a main character, changed several times during the course of the read.

At first, I was almost cringing at her submissive behaviour (even though I'd been warned and knew it was coming). To tell the whole truth it's not so much Kitty, the person, that's submissive, it's her wolf. But then, as I read along and discovered more of Kitty's personality, and also the story of how she became a werewolf in the first place, I had an epiphany as to why she might behave this way.

For starters, not everyone in this world has an aggressive nature, and Kitty as a human was a happy-go-lucky, blonde pony-tailed, cute little thing without a care in the world. Then she gets viscously attacked and her whole world gets turned upside down (This all happens prior to the events in this book, btw. Don't worry I'm not summarizing the whole plot for you). Then she has high-ranking members of her new pack decide to take her under their wing, protect her, baby and coddle her to within an inch of her life, and totally enable this behaviour she's developed of cowering, whining and hiding behind bigger, stronger people whenever she's scared. And even now at the start of this story, four years on and a lot more jaded, she's still not a particularly antagonistic person. She's laid-back, friendly, but also blunt and honest, which is what makes her so good at her radio show.

However, as the book went on Kitty is forced to look at certain aspects of her life and the things she's been allowing to happen. She says at one point something along the lines of, "In situations like these you can either be angry or scared, and I'm so sick of being scared." And that's when we start to see some real character development from her.

I really enjoyed the radio talk show parts of the book. Some of the callers were funny and Vaughn writes dialogue really well. It was very easy to imagine the tone of voice used.

"How do I get a werewolf to attack me?"

"Stand in the middle of a forest under a full moon with a raw steak tied to your face, holding a sign that says, `Eat me; I'm stupid'?"

I enjoyed the character of Cormac, whom she meets in rather unusual circumstances. My only problem with that relationship (if you can even call it such) was the speed at which she decided to share her most private thoughts with him. She tells him (and therefore us) the whole story of how she became a wolf, something she hadn't even told her best friend within the pack, which I thought was a little strange. I hope to see more of Cormac, though. He too is a very laid-back, laconic sort of character and they have good chemistry on the page together.

By the end of the book there had been big changes for Kitty, for her pack, and for the world in general, so it felt like a set-up book in that respect, but it was definitely a nice introduction and I want to keep reading so I'm heading straight for Kitty Goes to Washington right now!

4 Stars! ''''

3.0 out of 5 stars A Solid Start To A Series, 12 Oct. 2011
I read the first couple of Kitty Norville books quite a few years ago now, so thought I would re-read them for my special Kitty month. "Kitty and the Midnight Hour" is a good first book to a series. It sets of up the characters nicely, sets the scene and even adds a bit of mystery and romance to keep those pages turning.

Most of the time it succeeded in giving me everything I want in my urban fantasy, however, I did find Kitty to be a little on the submissive side for my taste. I understand that as part of a pack and only being a werewolf for a few years Kitty's position would be right at the bottom, but it was still hard to take. I could have accepted it a little more if when she was human she was more assertive and sure of herself, but she wasn't.

Thankfully, Kitty does grow as the story progresses and we find out how she became a werewolf in the first place. I hope that her character will continue to develop with each book in the series (the ninth is published this month). I like to see my heroine mature with each book so I'm definitely looking forward to seeing this with Kitty.

Kitty is a DJ and has a talk-radio show called The Midnight Hour where all the creatures that go bump in the night can phone in for advice or just to talk. It becomes a huge success. The male and female Alpha of her pack however don't like it as they think this could mean Kitty getting a bit above her station. There's a lot of pack politics but Kitty keeps things together most of the time, especially with the help of her team pack member and friend, TJ.

As things progress Kitty learns there is a rogue killer werewolf hunting humans and decides to help the police with their investigation. This is a great plot and has a very satisfying ending.

We also learn a little more about Kitty and how she became a werewolf along the way. It connected me to Kitty as it was a horrible way for her to become a supernatural creature and my heart went out to her.

The storyline was a little confusing at times. I didn't really know if the human population at large knew about the werewolves and vampires or if all supernaturals were a secret. One moment it seemed as though it was all a big secret, but then the police wanted her help to scent out the rogue werewolf. Also the origin of supernatural creatures was also a bit shaky. Kitty explains that scientists had studied them and while they have found different characteristics distinguishing them from humans they weren't genetic, viral, bacterial or even biological - and yet the following quote from a conversation between Kitty and a detective sounds otherwise...

"How do I tell if this is a lycanthrope and not a big angry dog?"
"Smell," I said without thinking.
"What?"
"Smell. A lycanthrope smells different. At least to another lycanthrope."
"Okay," she drawled. "And if you aren't around to use as a bloodhound?"
I sighed. "If you can find DNA samples of the attacker, there are markers. There's a obscure CDC report about Lycanthrope DNA markers. I'll get you the reference..."

Well, DNA is genetics... genetics is biology...Hmmm

However, putting science aside "Kitty and the Midnight Hour" is a fun read. I like Kitty and although I hope she finds herself (and a backbone), which I have a feeling she will, due to her erratic bursts of bravery throughout the novel, I think she's going to be a great character to follow in subsequent instalments.

My favourite character though has to be Cormac. He's a werewolf hunter and a rather yummy one at that. They meet while Kitty is at work doing her radio show when Cormac calls in and tells her he is in the building, coming up to kill her. She didn't seem too concerned though and plays it out as a bit of a joke live on her show - this is a bit too much in contrast to the submissive person we see most of the time and therefore had a bit of an unbelievable air about it, however, it didn't make it any less enjoyable to read. Kitty is quite funny and this scenario put a smile on my face.

We're not given too much information about Cormac in this instalment, which makes him all the more mysterious and intriguing, but I hope to see more of his character in future books. He has great charisma and I like the way Kitty and Cormac interact with each other; there's definitely some sexual chemistry going on...

VERDICT:

"Kitty and the Midnight Hour" sets the scene to Kitty Norville and her world. There's lots of great witty dialogue, relationship dynamics and a bit of mystery. A solid start to the series.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Kitty and the Midnight Hour (Kitty Norville)
Kitty and the Midnight Hour (Kitty Norville) by Carrie Vaughn (MP3 CD - 2 July 2009)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available