Published on 7 April 2009 by Donald Mitchell

2.0 out of 5 stars Once a copper always a copper
American crap told from the law abiding side , not really a true account of club life only life given from a law abiding citizen
Published 5 months ago by Mr A P Beattie

4.0 out of 5 stars Real-Life Undercover Work, Its Perils, and a Behind-the-Scenes Look at the Hells Angels, 7 April 2009
Donald Mitchell "Jesus Loves You!" (Thanks for Providing My Reviews over 127,000 Helpful Votes Globally) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
I grew up in Berdoo, where the Hells Angels started. One of my high school classmates became a member. When Sonny Barger's first book came out, I wrote a review . . . but I didn't always recognize what I knew about the club from what he had to say. I picked up this book hoping to get a more up-to-date view of how the outcasts were making money and entertaining themselves these days. It didn't look like things had changed all that much.

A pleasant surprise for me was to read the very personal account of how the adrenaline rush of the outlaw biker gang life can get to a person, even an undercover cop posing as such a biker. A similar thing happens to new business leaders, who become intoxicated with their new-found influence and power. It's a dangerous reaction and well documented here.

As a book, I found that the story was too much about the investigation and every little step in it. I would have enjoyed a shorter book that focused more on telling a good story.

I have no idea what this undercover operation cost, but it must have been a bundle. I wonder if those resources were worth tracking down the Hells Angels who were caught and ended up doing time as a result.

I also suspect that a documentary of this story would have been much more interesting to watch than this book was to read. Perhaps this just wasn't the right format for capturing the sleaze and dirt involved.

2.0 out of 5 stars Once a copper always a copper, 17 Dec. 2014
This review is from: No Angel: My Harrowing Undercover Journey to the Inner Circle of the Hells Angels (MP3 CD)