5.0 out of 5 stars An Extraordinary Story of Personal Courage and Conviction, 1 Sep 2014
Bruce Miller "hyper2u" (Louisville, Kentucky and San Diego, California) - See all my reviews
I just finished reading the book and found it to be extraordinary in all regards. I found the courage and conviction of Fritz Kolbe to be inspiring. His service as a member of the German Diplomatic Service during the WW11 placed him in a position of trust and confidence with access to information that could be useful to the allies. He provided this information for ideological reasons and not for personal gain. I would have thought that after the war, he would have been duly recognized for the risks that he took and the contributions that he made to the allied victory. Regretfully, this was not the case. It is apparent that the lack of recognition and the blacklisting that he encountered did not cause him much anguish. He seemed content with his role and had the personal and professional satisfaction that he had acted properly. He sacrificed his relationship with his son in order to pursue the path that he thought was correct. The book was well written and really told a story that should have been told many years ago. I am glad that I had the opportunity to read about the events of the time and a dedicated German who had the courage to act when everyone else was seemingly silent. If this review helps, I hope that you enjoy the book as much as I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting..., 31 May 2010
I bought this as not heard of many German spies that stayed in Germany during WWII.I have heard of the name 'George Woods' (Kolbes cover name) in other books, but no other detail, so thought I would buy this. The copy at my local library had gone 'missing'.On reading my copy, I can understand why.

I won't spoil the contents of the book, but in brief Kolbe worked for the German Diplomatic Service from 1925 to the end of the war.His job caused him to have access to secret German documents (such as the selling of gold to the Swiss), which he passed to the Americans whilst on official journeys to Switzerland.He was never caught by the Germans (instant death sentence) or even suspected.Not being a Nazi party member, he was even promoted in July 1944.

This story only emerged due to declassified documents from the US in the early 2000's.Kolbe himself died in 1971.

A worthy read.A very brave man too.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 2 Aug 2014