5.0 out of 5 stars Coping with Imperfection, 9 Feb 2006
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Many people grew up with the happy hope that they would lead an ideal life within a loving family that was totally devoted to their best interests. Surprise! It usually doesn't work out that way.
Many people feel like their chance for happiness is over when they have a setback in terms of family life.
Anyone who reads Po Bronson's Why Do I Love These People? will realize that the first disappointment is only a minor hurdle along the path to having a better family life. In fact, the latest disappointment is only of middling concern . . . as long as you deal with that disappointment with integrity and love.
Truth is stranger and more fascinating than fiction. Most reviewers would criticize novels based on these stories as being hard to swallow. Real people wouldn't act that way! But extraordinary people have acted in these positive ways and they provide role models and hope for the rest of us.
Based on your own experiences, you'll react more or less to individual stories. But I wager that you'll find some that move you to the bottoms of your feet.
I was also touched when Mr. Bronson included some of his own life story here so we wouldn't feel like he was playing the role of clinical observer. I'm sure it must have been a heavy weight to carry so much love, loss and hurt around with him. But I'll bet that the stories that provide hope felt like life preservers after a while.
I felt emotionally leveled by The Promise, The Cook's Story, The Trial, Dorothy's Child, Jamaica?, The Butcher's Wife, The Unexplained and The Tornado.
The last time I read a book about a series of real-life experiences that moved me so much was Studs Terkel's book, Working.
If you care about having a better family life, read this book . . . and think long and hard about what you learn. Then act!

4.0 out of 5 stars Warning: well written, provocative but searingly honest, 5 Jan 2006
By A Customer
Po Bronson's rather different approach to be self-help - that is, ask other people how they found there way was well received in his "What shall I do with my life?"
I saw this book and was initially disappointed when I saw that he was taking the same approach to families. However, his point seems to be that reflection on other people's honest accounts of their own experience helps us to understand ourselves. And it does.
However, if you are trying to find your answer in a 'self-help book' this may be too powerful for you. Some of the experiences described with admirable honesty are not pleasant and it can be quite harrowing to feel you have a handle on someone just for them to surprise you in this way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful..., 2 Mar 2012
JanBird&DebMeades (Stretford, Gtr Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
I enjoyed this book, some of the stories are very inspiring. I particularly liked the Chinese man and his success with the orchids in the States and how the villagers back in China kept his cottage just as it was for when he came back. Also, the African family and how they looked out for one another. It takes allsorts to make a world. Highly recommended. Jan Bird

Why Do I Love These People?: Honest and Amazing Stories of Real Families