5.0 out of 5 stars It's not horror, but it's the best thing she's written.
Published on 10 May 2004 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars really wanted to like this... but didn't
I'd consider myself a fan of Ms Brite, and although she's got a knack for great horror I didn't mind reading about something else (even the restaurant business) for a change - I've always enjoyed her style, her great descriptive powers, and her lively and often surprising imagination.
Published on 16 Aug 2007 by svr

5.0 out of 5 stars It's not horror, but it's the best thing she's written., 10 May 2004
This review is from: Liquor (Paperback)
Poppy Z. Brite is known as one of the most visceral and inventive of modern horror writers - her previous books, like Lost Souls, Drawing Blood and particularly Exquisite Corpse, explored the darker side of New Orleans, the American South, and the human capacity to inflict suffering. Vampires, goths and serial killers were her subject, and she wrote about them brilliantly.
Liquor is a complete departure from Brite's previous work, and I suspect her fans currently fall into two camps - those who think she has betrayed them by ditching the horror/goth trappings in her writing, and those who are willing to give her the benefit of the doubt, and see what she has come up with now. I would strongly suggest that everyone gives Poppy the benefit of the doubt and reads this book, because it is easily her best work. I love her previous books, but I don't believe that the horror genre and the, for want of a better word, "straight" fiction she is writing here, are mutually exclusive.
Liquor is about two faintly disreputable New Orleans line-chefs, G-Man and Ritchy, who decide to open up their own restaurant, Liquor, where every meal with have an alcoholic theme in a city where everybody loves to drink. Old friends, lovers, now business partners, Brite's portrayal of her two main characters is touchingly sweet and entirely convincing. She has lived with these characters and she knows how they think, how they breathe, and even how they cook. I have never been to New Orleans, but this book makes me feel as if I've eaten in every one of its restaurants.
Of course, even outisde of the horror genre, it wouldn't be a Poppy Z. Brite book without an edge of darkness creeping through. Ricthy and G-Man aren't menaced by vampires, demons, or anything remotely supernatural, but New Orleans is still a big city, and big cities have a habit of throwing up all sorts of dangerous complications to two men trying to make a go of things . . .
If I haven't made it clear so far, this book comes highly recommended, and should be a milestone in Poppy's career. Buy it, read it, you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Give it a chance, it's worth it, 11 Oct 2006
M. McGinn "searingidolatry" (South Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Liquor (Paperback)
I was (and still am) a huge fan of Poppy's earlier works, particularly Exquisite Corpse. I was extremely disappointed when she moved away from the gothic/horror/whatever-it-was genre, even more so as I had no interest whatsoever in reading books about cooking, restaurants or chefs - I don't even get to dine out more than once a year and cookery programmes/books bore the pants off me.

Then one day I found a copy of Liquor in the 'horror' section of my local bookshop and, for old times sake, decided to give it a chance.

Boy is my face red.

It's wonderful, interesting, touching, moving, evocative. I've realised that it doesn't matter what Poppy writes about, what matters most is that she writes it *well*. I can't believe I wasted so much time avoiding this series for such petty reasons and denying myself the pleasure of reading this sooner. Don't make the same mistake yourself.

2.0 out of 5 stars really wanted to like this... but didn't, 16 Aug 2007
svr (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Liquor (Paperback)
So, disregarding all the "love it"/"hate it" reviews (incl. on this page) I went ahead and bought "Liquor," and could hardly wait to get stuck in. Unfortunately I found my disappointment growing with every turn of the page...

The writing is still fine, but the whole book is built on a pretty flimsy idea (they're broke, they want to open a restaurant, things aren't easy, but then they open the restaurant), and it features a cast of pretty (cough) boring characters - likeable-but-slightly-flawed protagonist 1, sweet-and-submissive protagonist 2, the great friend, the idiot "baddie," and a bunch of more or less flat supporting characters with slightly ludicrous names like Mouton (French for "sheep") or Schwanz (German for "dick" as in penis).
The flimsy idea is then drawn out forever, featuring long descriptive passages about foodstuffs and kitchen equipment, repetitive in-depth examinations of how the characters feel about themselves, how they feel about the restaurant business as a whole and about being in the restaurant business in New Orleans in particular. And a lot of self-congratulary small talk about how great it is to be a born-and-bred New Orleanian living in New Orleans, which is fine but gets a bit tedious after a while.

I guess what I love about Poppy's other writing (especially her short stories) is that she likes to lure you down a mysterious and tantalising path, brings it all to life in luminous (or gloomy) technicolour, and while you're still drinking it all in she's already got a knife to your throat, ready to cut. Sadly, none of this happens in "Liquor" - you just trudge along the same predictable road, with only mildly interesting occurrences here and there, for so long that you eventually wonder if it's worth getting to the end at all. Which to a PZB fan is frustrating, unpleasant, and not recommended!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great characters, no plot, 20 Mar 2011
This review is from: Liquor (Paperback)
It's not that this isn't a supernatural book, it's just that there's not much of story to it. However, PZB being PZB she manages to make the characters so engaging and sympathetic that it doesn't really matter. Fair enough, Rickey and G-Man aren't as fully fleshed out as Ghost and Steve, for example, but they're adorable, believable and charming - you want them to succeed and I was very happy just reading about them figuring out recipes and deciding on carpet for their restaurant. One thing that made me chuckle though is that Poppy might have been reading a bit of Joanne Harris - all the attention to detail when it comes to the food - even including the opening night menu.
Ultimately a sweet and entertaining read about two loveable rogues - probably worth 3 and a half stars if I could.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why do you read?, 14 May 2004
J. Kenny "Jason Kenny" (Adlington, Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Liquor (Paperback)
Why do you read a particular author? Is it because of the subject matter they write about? If so that begs the question would you read any old rubbish they wrote as long as it was about Vampires?
I read Poppys books because I love her writing, the words flow and the story draws you in...no matter what the story is about.
Just read it and make your own mind up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better and better, 9 Dec 2004
Harry (Cornwall. UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Liquor (Paperback)
I must respectfully disagree with the previous reviewer who prefers The Value of X to Liquor. The Value of X is a charming tale of small scope, as I believe the author intended. One may read it as a beginning to these characters' saga or an enriching background for the characters they may have already met in Liquor. However, Liquor is a much richer novel which presents a wider variety of characters, an insider's look at the life of a chef, and a colourful tapestry of New Orleans life in a way that The Value of X does not seek to do. Your reading pleasure will best be served by reading both books, then preordering the next in the series, Prime; however, if you are only going to read one, Liquor will be the better book for the general reader.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 4 Nov 2009
This review is from: Liquor (Paperback)
A book about liquor, New Orleans, friendship and love. That sums it up pretty well. Reading the book, you fairly feel how much the author loves New Orleans, its people and cooking - through tiny things she shows you how much she knows about the city, how deeply she understands it.

The love between Rickey and G-man is not only touching, but also quite realistic - they are not perfect, they have their flaws but they are still each other's world. Their love is simply there, it's not "in your face" but you can still feel it deeply. My favorite scene is the one where they sit with their arms around each other, pressing their foreheads together. That's all, no huge declarations of love.

The characters, the setting, everything, it just clicked with me. I'll be definitely buying the next books in the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun and entertaining, 17 Sep 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Liquor (Paperback)
If you are a fan of Poppy's work, you will either love this or hate it. Though it is written in her very special style, it is a poor follow-up to The Value of X, which seems to have almost been almost buried in comparison. However, Liquor moves along at a fairly good pace and is certainly a break away from her roots in horror.

Liquor
Liquor by Poppy Z Brite (Paperback - Mar 2004)