5.0 out of 5 stars A book to rock your world!!!
If you consider everything you have been conditioned to believe in all your life and then suddenly find that after reading this book you need to reasses these facts...then I think it has had the desired effect. This is an excellent account of how modern society finds itself today with factional religions everywhere - nothing has changed then....
The pace and detail...
Published on 14 Dec 2001 by williamv@boxbags.com

3.0 out of 5 stars An intellectual's paradise
Published on 16 Jan 2007 by William's mummy

5.0 out of 5 stars A book to rock your world!!!, 14 Dec 2001
The pace and detail keep you reading and gasping for more. If you dare put it down, you wonder if you have missed something. It provides direct relationships to religious writings which were misinterpreted. You will find this a tough book if you are looking for easy reading, but it will be a delight to those who want to look within and realize just how power, greed and control have effectively perpetuated these misinterpreted religious teachings for millenia.
More please!

5.0 out of 5 stars Enlightening, 8 May 2008
This review is from: Jesus and the Lost Goddess: The Secret Teachings of the Original Christians (Paperback)
I think this book is indeed essential reading for the initiate. Written in a way that all may understand, it sweeps away any thought that somehow gnosticism is "elitist" I am indeed glad that I own this book as it clarifys most of the myths and early Christian writings I have been reading about in other books. Please do not let this one pass you by. Take the red pill and see how deep the rabbit-hole goes.

5.0 out of 5 stars free yourself from fear and guilt imposed by christianity, 1 Dec 2002
By A Customer
I am thankful to Timothy Freke and Peter Gandy for writing "Jesus and the lost Goddess" and also "The Jesus Mysteries". I have for 25 years attempted to find or understand the universal truth that was at the core of all "religions". I could never find the answer, mainly because I had neither the time nor the knowledge to read the original texts. In addition, I found that the main objective of most authors who wrote books on this subject was to convince the reader of the righteousness of their own religious beliefs versus those of others. They thus lacked objectivity. I am grateful to Tim and Peter for dedicating their lives to this study of universal truth and then writing about it in plain English with well-referenced texts. I strongly recommend their book(s) to anyone from a Christian background that wishes to understand the origins of Christianity. Also to any spiritual traveller who wishes to absolve themselves from the fear and guilt that was shamelessly imprinted on our young impressionable Christian minds. They would be helpful to those who want to deepen their spiritual knowledge. I also recommend them to men and women who wish to understand how women, or rather "the feminine", came to be repressed in the patriarchal Christian church.

Anger
This is one of the emotions that swept through me as I read "Jesus and the lost Goddess". The anger is now much reduced and been replaced by more positive emotions but it is still present. I am angry because the book proves beyond reasonable doubt that I/we have been deceived. It annoys me to think that Christian theologians, philosophers, historians and members of the hierarchy must have had access to the same data as Timothy and Peter, since time immemorial, and yet have chosen to ignore it, at best, or suppress it, at worst. Whatever the reasons, it had served to keep the members of the Christian Churches subservient. It disenfranchised them by not permitting them to have direct access to God (the Cosmic Consciousness). On a personal level my anger comes from me having lived most of my life in fear of God and, worse still, in fear of hell. This crippled me both physically and spiritually for a large portion of my life. I know that this fear is continuing to cripple millions today. So I am angry at the institutional church(es) who have perpetrated lies and myths for centuries. My anger is directed at those who knew and yet did nothing, or worse, at those who blocked the truth, which perverted the course of justice, who were more interested in power than in God. Any of you who are similarly crippled should read this book to begin to understand how unnecessary this fear is. You will learn how simple and loving the original Christianity really was before it was polluted by The (unholy) Roman Empire, particularly by the barbarous Constantine.

Fear and liberation
As with many Christians, fear has had a hugely detrimental effect on my health, my life, my wife and my family for many years. It eventually led me to a "breakdown," which in turn led to my "breakthrough", from which began my spiritual journey, over 25 years. I was afraid of death, of God, of the devil, of hell, of heaven, of eternity, of sin, of my body and of my thoughts. In effect, I was afraid of living. I was an emotional cripple. I am, though, acutely aware that millions of people are still living with this fear which induces depression, lethargy and hate. Wouldn't it be wonderful if they could be liberated from this fear?
Although I felt anger when I first read "Jesus and the lost Goddess" and" The Jesus Mysteries", the overwhelming emotion that coursed through my veins was one of liberation. I felt that the shackles of 2000 years of unsubstantiated dogma had been shattered. I felt this at a personal level even though there was a sense that the knowledge and wisdom in these books had global implications far beyond and of infinitely greater importance than my personal sensation of spiritual freedom.
This feeling amazed me because I had long ago begun to question the beliefs/teachings of my own (Catholic) Church. Many of them I had rejected at an intellectual level. This had allowed me to begin my own journey looking for truth. In spite of this, the fifty years of dogma which had been force-fed into my brain/ my being had not allowed me to fully embrace my new knowledge. I kept some of this wisdom at a distance, unconsciously. It was only when I read this book that I became aware of this. The sense of liberation from that dogma, initiated by the two books, was very profound and has remained with me during the intervening twelve months. I would hope and pray that others will be lucky enough to find and read this book so that they too can be liberated to continue their spiritual journey in peace.

There have been a few books which, when I read them during my spiritual journey, seemed to contain information, which although it was new to me, resonated through my being as if I had always known it. "Jesus and the lost Goddess" was one of those. This is not meant to sounds conceited, because I (my ego) was not involved. In fact, I emailed Timothy Freke when I had read only half of the book to thank him for writing such a well-referenced, scholarly text and to tell him that the knowledge was resonating in my bones telling me that it was true. He acknowledged my email with genuine delight!
Freke and Gandy have written two books that will not only change how you think about religion and God, but have the potential to change western society.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Original Christians, 9 Jun 2006
J. Eddie (UK) - See all my reviews
This book certainly had a profound impact on me. I lost my 'faith' a few years back and drifted away from the Christian Church but still wanted to believe in something. I have to thank Dan Brown for pointing me in the direction of this book (and others). If I have to say anything good about The Da Vinci Code it was the fact that it challenged my current thinking about Christianity. In the last couple of years I've become interested in Reiki, meditation, spiritualism and all things esoteric. I've always been drawn to these areas but now feel I've come home. It's what I believe and accept to be the truth and this book helped me realise it. It now makes perfect sense to me that Jesus could not possibly be a real living breathing person and I do feel a certain amount of frustration and anger that the Christian Church supressed a lot of the original Christian teachings. This book is not an easy read and it took me a couple of attempts to get my head around a lot of it. But it is definitely worth it. Yes, it won't be everyone's cup of tea but then I bought this book because I am seriously interested in Gnosticism and the authors' ideas didn't horrify or upset me. Certainly if you find the idea that your life is all an illusion to be abhorrent or utter codswallop then don't buy it. If you are seeking some answers and have lost faith in organised religion then I would say give it a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS BOOK WILL CHANGE YOUR PERCEPTION OF EVERYTHING, 3 April 2014
The authors of this book have thoroughly research their work, and for me reading this book was like a revelation, it confirmed all that I questioned and confirmed that I was not insane, that religions (in the established institutions such as Christianity) were hiding something, I was brought up in a strict Christian Background, but was always rebellious and I'd ask my mother so many questions to do with Christianity and its effects was only youngster then.., fast forwarding to the present in my gut I knew there was something deeper I needed to search and this I found whilst surfing the net, it talks about the Goddess and the world religion's efforts to to get rid of the Goddess, if you want to look deeper into Christianity this book will fill you in nicely. Good job Timothy Freke and Peter Gandy. I read this book quite a while back almost two years ago and don't know why I didn't write a review for it anyway this is it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Do yourself a favour. READ THIS BOOK!, 12 Feb 2004
I feel this to be one of, if not THE most influential book I've ever read. It hit me hard enough for me to book myself onto one of Tim Freke's 3 day seminars to talk about it more. If you're interested in life, death, spirituality and what the hell it is that we're all doing here, then read it. Then go have a fab weekend with Tim and some fantastic people. You won't regret it.

3.0 out of 5 stars An intellectual's paradise, 16 Jan 2007
I have given this book three stars for the quality of the writing and the meticulous and careful research that the authors have obviously carried out. I bought this book, because I am a doubter by nature, and I wanted to read a mythological theory related book to give me a more balanced overview. The problem I have with Gnosticism is - Where is the accountability? Apparently Jesus really signifies the perfect person we should all strive to become, and by achieving 'gnosis' and by looking inward we will eventually become like god and an all round good egg. This is all very well for a small minority of us - but what about at least 90% of the rest of the population who are not intellectuals? What are we supposed to do? We are sinful by nature, and if you don't do it, then you will think it, it's the way we are made, so if what this theory is saying is true, then it is practically impossible for anybody to achieve 'gnosis'. Yes there are remarkable coincidences and synergies between the goddess legends and the new testament story and characters, but you can find synergies with any story if you look hard enough. They talk about the bridegroom being Christ and the bride being the goddess, and that this is proof that the theory is taken from these legends. Well could it not have been a saying taken from the Old Testament? It often refers to the bridegroom and the bride symbolically, but it means something totally different. How do the authors know where all of the theories come from, and does it really matter anyway? Surely the evidence we have of the grisly ends that were met by the disciples who actually knew Jesus at the time means more? Because it is all very well dying for a belief - but dying for something that you know to be a lie, is something different altogether. If everything that Jesus ever said in the bible was also made up, then those authors at the time must have had divine inspiration anyway, because Jesus's words are easily some of the most profound words that have ever been uttered in history! Freke and Gandy cannot explain that at all. A well written and interesting book however.

2.0 out of 5 stars Yet another book that will 'change your life forever', 4 May 2006
Better presented than many books of this kind, yet still suffering from the perennial condition of all these books that discover ancient and objective lost truths about 'Everything That Really Matters', in that it doesn't offer a critique of its own postulations, just trawls through countless texts to find 'evidence' of its own veracity.

This book will change your life forever if you want it to - I won't deny that.

having said this, ask a cross section of people from different walks of life what profoundly changed their lives forever and you'll get answers ranging from songs, to a particular painting, to novels, to an event, to a charismatic person or whatever. So in other words, just because something genuinely changes one person's life doesn't mean that that something contains an objkective truth that will resonate with everyone who has the 'eyes to see it'.

The trick seems to be that as long as something is reasonably well presented and somehow resonates with our own existing core beliefs (or doubts) it will change our lives.

For me this book was a bit ho-hum. But hey, there are thousands of other books out there written by authors who have 'discovered something no-one else has', or else broken open a conspiracy that no-one knew existed until the author mentioned it.

I'm sure one of them will ring my bell... maybe even change my life... but this book ain't it.

NB,

I only gave this book 2 stars because it was professionally formatted.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing original, 20 Mar 2006
Oliver Lea "Oli Lea" (Portsmouth, England) - See all my reviews
Sorry, but little needs to be said. Just like all the authors you can see below in the "people who bought books by X also bought books by Y" (eg, Elaine Pagels, Margaret Starbird, Michael Baigent, etc) this is just another pseudo-scholarly attempt to make the idea that Jesus has been misrepresented to us look credible.
The reviewer below might wish to consider his comments that all the theologians and writers through the ages have had access to the same material as these authors. Did every single one of them "choose to repress or ignore it"? Or could it just be possible that it is Freke and Gandy who are actually misrepresenting the facts?
Nothing very original, nothing very inspired, nothing very much to talk about.

Jesus and the Lost Goddess: The Secret Teachings of the Original Christians