4.0 out of 5 stars It can be useful, 27 Jan. 2013
S. Pope (Oxon United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dude, I'm An Aspie! Kids' Edition (Paperback)
Finding a book that explains Asperger's Syndrome to a pre-teen child is worse than finding a needle in a haystack, so I was pleased to come across this book on Amazon. My nine-year-old daughter has been given a diagnosis fairly recently, although she is borderline so some of the statements didn't quite ring true to her. However, the author's explanations about sensory disturbances particularly were helpful and she could see herself in them. The cartoons were good and gave a more lighthearted feel to the subject matter. I felt the book was useful in conveying the basics to my daughter but there were a couple of items that weren't great. It seems that many 'Aspies' will refer to themselves as being from another planet or alien-like, perhaps in the hope that they will convey how out of place they feel. However, for my daughter, it caused distress as she didn't want to think of herself as vastly different to others. I dislike these comparisons and she was in tears so I'd like to find a book that just addresses the main traits of Asperger's without emphasising this particular aspect.

4.0 out of 5 stars great for teaching other kids, 18 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Dude, I'm An Aspie! Kids' Edition (Paperback)
It is so hard to explain my daughters Aspergers to other kids, but this book is simple with great cartoons. Just enough for kids, so can be used to help to explain.

Good value too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really clear and positive explanation of Aspergers, 19 May 2013
This review is from: Dude, I'm An Aspie! Kids' Edition (Paperback)
We were loaned this book by the SENCO at my son's school. We immediately bought a copy for ourselves. My 8 year old son finds this the best thing he has encountered for explaining why he is how he is. He's now feeling positive about being an Aspie and shows this book to people like his gran and his babysitter to explain how he is thinking. He loves the cartoons and the humour this book has. It's ideal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful and fun, 17 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Dude, I'm An Aspie! Kids' Edition (Paperback)
I got this for one of my children who got diagnosed. He loves illustrating so I was hoping he would relate to this. He had previously refused to look at other books so I got this and just put it in his bedroom. I then found him reading it and he then came to share some of the illustrations with me.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite Aspie book, 15 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Dude, I'm An Aspie! Kids' Edition (Paperback)
This always makes me giggle, the author has a superb sense of humour and is Is unapologetically positive about his own condition. Fantastic read for children and adults.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a really nice way of explaining a condition which can be really ..., 16 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Dude, I'm An Aspie! Kids' Edition (Paperback)
Gave this to my parents to help them understand a little more about my son who has Aspergers. It's a really nice way of explaining a condition which can be really confusing for people who don't live with it. I liked it so much I bought another copy for the parents' group I belong to so everyone could take a look.

5.0 out of 5 stars A little piece of gold dust!, 16 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Dude, I'm An Aspie! Kids' Edition (Paperback)
We bought this when looking for another book we had been recommended. Our 10yr old daughter was diagnosed with Aspergers 6 months ago and this book has been like giving her the key to understanding her diagnosis herself. Not only that but it is perfect to get family members - adults and children alike - to read to help them understand her challenges more easily.
The whole book can be read cover to cover in just a few minutes so its not like asking people too much to read it. It is simple, easy to access and humorous. It has changed the way our daughter talks about her condition - the book (and now our daughter) is positive about the condition, straightforward, clear in its explanations and the most valuable tool we have found in helping everyone get their heads around this diagnosis. It doesn't apologise for itself, it just tells it like it is.
I am a primary school teacher and had some knowledge of aspergers already, but I still wish someone had given us this book at the time of her diagnosis - it has really clarified our thinking and our attitudes. For our family it has been a book to change our world and I cannot recommend it highly enough

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fun!, 26 April 2014
This review is from: Dude, I'm An Aspie! Kids' Edition (Paperback)
I disagree that Aspergers is "mild" autism but other than that, it's a brilliant way to explain why Aspies and HF auties are just that little bit different from the norm

5.0 out of 5 stars a fun book, 12 April 2014
This review is from: Dude, I'm An Aspie! Kids' Edition (Paperback)
what a great little book especially for kids who are just learning they are on the spectrum (Aspergers), I was really impressed and we had a lot of ah-ha moments too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful easy read, 13 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Dude, I'm An Aspie! Kids' Edition (Paperback)
Clear and fun, this little book is a really helpful addition to the bookshelf of anyone who is in contact with an Aspie.

Dude, I'm An Aspie! Kids' Edition
Dude, I'm An Aspie! Kids' Edition by Matt Friedman (Paperback - 18 Aug. 2012)