5.0 out of 5 stars It successfully teaches you!
Despite being an introductory book (but hey, it's what its title says!), Griffiths delivers Quantum Mechanics in a comprehensible way.
Published on 17 Feb. 2009 by Manuel Nascimento

1.0 out of 5 stars The book itself is fine. (What can I say
Published 9 months ago by David Griffiths

1.0 out of 5 stars The book itself is fine. (What can I say, 24 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Introduction to Quantum Mechanics (Paperback)
The book itself is fine. (What can I say? I'm the author.) However, this version (the one with a jigsaw puzzle on the cover) is seriously defective. This is not my fault (nor Amazon's)---it's the publisher's. Most of the text itself seems to be OK, but the index contains nonsense entries, the Table of Contents is screwed up, and there may be missing chapters (or chapters in the wrong order). If this bothers you, I urge you to contact Pearson, and demand a clean copy. It is appalling that they would mangle the book this way, without ever consulting the author.

5.0 out of 5 stars It successfully teaches you!, 17 Feb. 2009
Manuel Nascimento "Cinetyk" (Linda-a-Velha, Portugal) - See all my reviews
Even if you're not the most knowledgeable in math or physics, this book takes you step by step and manages to really make you understand things along the way with clear explanations and calculations. It even has some humour along the way to keep things pleasant.
I'm a physics college student and I had tried to learn QM with several books before which fail to do it (especially the one by Gasiorowicz) because they omit passages or simply assume the calculations are obvious, which they're not, usually, unless you already know the subject. And if that's the case, a book with "Introduction to" is not what you need, and I'm sure you can find more advanced textbooks.

The only flaw I can find is that there aren't as much worked examples as you might want, but Griffiths specifically says in the book that you can't learn quantum mechanics without working most of the problems on your own. Still, this can be solved if you find the "Solutions Manual", by Griffiths himself, elsewhere...

Griffiths also has a book on Classical Electrodynamics and Particle Physics, both very good and totally recommended.

In short: even if you're not a genius but want to learn QM this is an excellent choice, you'll be able to learn it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best quantum mechanics book, 13 Sept. 2009
Of all the Quantum Mechanics books I've gone through, this one is by far the best so far. But even without comparing it to other books, it just is a very good QM book. Everything is explained in a logical order, and the difficulties and misconceptions that crop up in your head after reading a hard passage are very often addressed immediately in the sentence after, by the author asking those questions himself and then answering them in a very conversational manner (then sometimes creating a highly useful dialogue of questions regarding the answer etc. that quickly lead you to the very root of the misunderstanding, and teach you loads along the way). Often I found myself grinning while reading this, as the way things are explained are so amazing and you see so many connections that it becomes an almost exhilirating read.
This book pretty much taught me quantum mechanics, and I've gone back to it very often to look up useful pages I had marked (I'm finishing my master's in theoretical physics now).
It's an amazing quantum mechanics book, and I highly recommend it to anyone wishing to study the subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Physics Textbook, 22 Oct. 2011
Dr. Bojan Tunguz (Indiana, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Quantum Mechanics has a reputation for being one of the most esoteric topics in all of Physics. This reputation is largely well deserved, and it has it source in two aspects of Quantum Mechanics that make it particularly hard to understand. Conceptually, Quantum Mechanics puts to test some of our most deeply engrained intuitions about the Physical world. Such notions as the reality of the world apart from our attempts to observe it, causality of events, ability to measure all of relevant quantities at the same time, and localization of physical object are all put to the extreme test. On the other hand the mathematical machinery and sophistication that is required for understanding even some of the simplest quantum mechanical systems is rather daunting. Quantum Mechanics is usually one of the last undergraduate classes that Physics majors take, usually in their junior or senior year, after they have acquired a certain level of mathematical maturity and sophistication. There is a school of thought that posits that the conceptual subtlety of Quantum Mechanics can only be appreciated once the mathematical background is fully mastered. I happen to subscribe to that school of thought, and in my opinion Griffiths' textbook is the surest and the most straightforward path to acquiring the requisite knowledge and mathematical skills for the fullest understanding of Quantum Mechanics. This should definitely not be the first exposure that one gets of the Quantum Mechanics, but those students who are already familiar with some basic problems and results can benefit greatly from this textbook. In fact, in my opinion this is the best overall science textbook. The writing is clear and to the point, chapters and sections are self-contained and build on previous material in the book, there are plenty of worked-out examples, and the problems at the ends of the sections and chapters are designed to put the concepts and the material to its proper use. All of the problems are well-formulated, and there is hardly any ambiguous wording anywhere. Some of the problems are extremely difficult, and can take many, many hours to work out. Those should be attempted only by students who feel very comfortable with long calculus calculations.

When I was an undergraduate this textbook was assigned as an optional/supplementary reading material. Most of us ended up using it more than the official textbook for the class or the professor's notes. I also relied a lot on this textbook for the concise and clear explanation of certain points when I was taking a graduate level Quantum Mechanics. Now that I am actually teaching this course I have used it as the primary textbook for my class and have been extremely satisfied with the decision.

No textbook, of course, is perfect and there are a few things that I would have liked changed about this one as well. It would be useful to have a list of important equations at the end of each chapter, with the explanation of what they are used for. Even though I appreciate its abstract and mathematical approach, many students would benefit from having more of real-world problems and explanations early on. It takes almost all of the semester to get to the first physical system that has any real-world relevance. But other than these problems, I think this is a truly remarkable and great textbook, and it's likely to remain the paragon of good Physics textbooks for at least a few more decades.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cant go wrong, 24 Mar. 2009
Luis Vela "LEV" (Prague, Czech republic.) - See all my reviews
I have already two books from the same author, and i just enjoy so much his style. His approach to QM, diferentiating between doing QM and understanding QM, is unique and very effective (In a pedagogical sence). I highly recomend this book, and i have no bad reviews so far.
I just can tell that its a good book, and for an introduction to the subject its the right one.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent! Well done!, 23 Feb. 2006
Griffiths is one of my favourite authors, and this book is really a masterpiece, the best on the market about quantum mechanics. True, there is no historical introduction, the experiment that led the birth of the quantum theory are not described, but the classification of the material (theory and applications plus a very interesting afterword) is very well done, there is no aspect of quantum mechanics that is left out, and the exercises are very challenging and interesting. It is one of the books I use the most.

5.0 out of 5 stars Self study, 26 Jan. 2013
S. Nicholson - See all my reviews
I am finding that this book is excellent for self study, I need a book that gives you all the necessary detail, thats written in a friendly style. For me this is the perfect book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything suddenly makes sense!, 12 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Introduction to Quantum Mechanics (Paperback)
When you're a struggling university physics student, you need a clear explanation to be handed to you and fast. Griffiths' book not only explains everything in a patient, concise manner, it also somehow possesses the property of magically making everything click in your brain. This book has helped me so much with topics I never thought I'd be able to understand.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best physics textbook written, so far., 12 April 2013
Dr. P. P. Cook "Munglebrush" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This is the standard that all other theoretical physics texts should measure themselves against. It is excellent for the student studying QM for the first time and a joy to read even for the journeyman physicist. Superb for lecturers planning a first course in QM and replete with excellent problems. I cannot recommend this text more thoroughly.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can not recommend this book highly enough if you are a physics ..., 6 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Introduction to Quantum Mechanics (Paperback)
I can not recommend this book highly enough if you are a physics undergraduate, I much preferred the way Griffiths goes through explaining QM to that done by my lecturer.
Not only is the order of context very beneficial to someone taking their first baby steps in QM, the way he goes through everything step by step in great detail ensuring that you fully understand just what is going on.
Definitely saved my bacon for the exam.

Introduction to Quantum Mechanics
Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by David J Griffiths (Paperback - 1 Aug. 2013)