Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 October 2014
As the owner of an SME you are surrounded by well-meaning advice on the importance of innovation, and you can't avoid the nagging feeling that more should be done in this area. It is only when you sit down to it that you notice that this is not an esay thing to put into practice - we would live in a completely different world if it were! There are so many steps and pitfalls in between having, at first, no idea at all, then generating ideas that seem convincing to yourself up to the point where you can look back on a succesfully launched new product or service! I must admit that most of my attempts at creating innovative products have failed somewhere along the road, with the occasional success somewhere in between. I have been looking for ways to improve my success rate and also to make the process of innovative product development more efficient. Of course, the success can never be guaranteed, but following the rules laid out in this book should reduce the cost of trying and increase the likelihood of succeeding - and you can't ask for more.
This book helps you to conceptualize the process and will you an easy-to-understand and easy-to-use framework which guides your steps past the most frequent of those pitfalls. It is written in a hands-on style and avoids some of the (often meaningless) catchwords of the most recent economics fashion trends.
on 28 October 2014
Many Innovation books share the same content, some also the same form and style, this book – on the other hand, is written from the different perspective as some kind of innovation manual.

Max McKeown made a brilliant job subliming this toolkit for innovators and managers. It is easy to read and easy to follow, as it can be seen from this short&easy (in the same time: excellent) definition of innovation:

“Innovation – or practical creativity – is mainly about making new ideas useful.”

or: “The history of innovation is essentially the history of practical problem solving which is – pretty much – the history of what it means to be human.”

I took many notes and I will use many new advices/examples from this book in my future work. I specially enjoyed reading second half of the book: “The Innovator’s toolkit” where author gives great overview of innovation management models&tools.

Anyway, if I need to recommend one book to read concerning innovation & creativity, “The Innovation Book” will be chosen, as it brings the most important topics in short and easy-to-read manner.

Shortly, inspirational and useful book for any creative.
on 25 September 2014
A great book that makes the theory and practice of innovationg accessible without dumbing down!

I like the layout and the way you can move back and forth through the text with ease..nice to have headings and layout so clear (and not text dense in terms of having to wade through pages and pages of text to go back to something that you want to check.)

I work with many companies and institutions where trying to define "what innovation is" has become a distraction. (We have to innovate, so tell us what innovation is and we will do it! ) This book provides a tool kit of ideas to help get on with the job. Innovation is the poster child of the mantra that there is no one way, so finding a way that works in your context is critical.

This book will help...execution is strategy.
on 24 October 2014
I quite liked the "simple to read" bit about the book. Usually management oriented books have the capability of boring you to death! I started reading it with a pinch of salt but quickly found it to be quite engaging!

It handled a much debated topic of "innovation" pretty well. It is tricky and like all social sciences you have as many opinions as many readers! I will say it is the author's take on the subject - I may disagree on some bits but largely relate to most of it.
The "innovator's toolkit" was particularly interesting to read and would say something quite handy!

The breakdown of each chapter into objectives, context etc. makes the reading and grasp of topics easy - something which reminded me of course materials in MBA - but nonetheless very effective.
on 8 August 2014
I have recently bought and read this book and I think it is excellent. It is very comprehensive and covers a lot of really useful and valuable innovation topics. The contents, messages, and information is very much in line with my thinking and understanding, and the book certainly resonates with me.

Specifically, I like the practical aspects of this book. It allows the reader to both understand some broad innovation topics, but is also has sound advice on how to make real progress and to drive successful innovation within an organization or as an individual. I also do like the structuring of each chapter / section.

There are a lot of books around on the subject of innovation, but I think this book is a real authority on the topic, and I can certainly recommend it to others.
on 26 October 2014
As a senior manager in the public sector innovation and creativity have become crucial skills in dealing with the challenges the sector faces. Moving away from the traditional and developing ideas and solutions using innovative thought is made easier by the layout and content of this book.

I like the fact that I can dip in and out of this book and try some of the tools before going back to look at the other options open to me. The simple layout, language used and the toolkit approach makes the book a very user friendly management book unlike some others I have read previously.

This book is a very useful addition to my bookshelf but I am glad to say it spends more time in my hands and being used than on the bookshelf.
on 1 August 2014
If you love the idea of innovation - either as a small business or an individual - but have never managed to put any framework of understanding around innovation and your own innovation experiments and thinking, then this is the book for you! Simply, but brilliantly written, you will emerge from the book with a significant grasp of innovation, an understanding of your own approaches and you how you can innovate with more mindfulness and pragmatism, and a renewed excitement to kick-start some fresh innovation adventures of your own. The genius of Dr Max Mckeown's book is that he manages to encapsulate the essence and the spirit of innovation in a practical and inspirational way. After this, the world's your oyster!!
on 9 December 2014
A useful guide to both those who are starting out on their first journey into the world of innovation as well as those who need to freshen up their own approach and ideas. From looking at your own role in the innovation team and motivating others through to making an innovation count in the real world, the book offers tips and ideas for the various steps of the journey. With a message that advocates creative thinking and embracing change, the motivational style certainly engenders a self- belief that you just need to get out there and do it. My copy now has various tags and notes of my own ideas and actions throughout the text - I just need to go that step further to complete the actions! Definitely worth a read.
on 12 December 2014
This book is very clear and easy to understand. As a senior manager at a major financial institute in Canada, this book taught me how to think outside the box. His topic about innovation tool and Altshuller's innovation pyramid is very fruitful and allow me to refer back to the diagram on a daily basis.

Max wrote this book in a very detail-oriented format. It is extremely easy to follow with his new ideas. Many advices that he suggested I actually took notes and kept it on my desk to remind me how to do my job in a better way.

I highly recommended this book to someone that would like to execute new ideas to their workplace and willing to accept new ideas.

My rating 10/10.
on 10 November 2014
I enjoyed this guidebook that outlines both innovation processes and the people dynamic required for successful innovation. The practical advice and models from innovation experts, scientists, economists and psychologists can be applied to and adapted to any context. So whether you are a seasoned innovation pro or just starting to explore what innovation means for you personally, or for your organisation, there is something in the Innovation Book for you to take away. The most important learning/reminder for me was that the key driver for innovation is about useful ideas that do good.