5.0 out of 5 stars Well written and informative read, 18 Nov 2013
This review is from: The DIY Investor: How to Take Control of Your Investments and Plan for a Financially Secure Future (Financial Times Series) (Paperback)
I have just finished this book and found it to be a very easy and informative read. I have read a number of books like this. This one is sensibly laid out and gets to the detail and areas that some other books fail to cover.

5.0 out of 5 stars great guide for the interested amateur., 9 Nov 2013
I really got a lot out of reading this book. I'm definitely going to take what I've read to heart, and change the way that I've been making investments.

It was well written and insightful, and every time I picked it up I learnt something worthwhile.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful for breadth and as an intro, 8 Mar 2014
LXIX (scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I usually balk at paying over a tenner for a paperback book in the digital era, but I decided to take a punt on this one. After all, it currently costs 11.95 to buy shares through Hargreaves Lansdown's website (the UK's most popular DIY investor site), so for roughly the price of one typical share transaction you're getting 273 pages of advice from someone in the know who has built up a very successful business in the investment business. It's worth mentioning that the author doesn't do a hard sell here regarding his own firm (AJ Bell); in fact, to his credit, he hardly mentions them.

A little bit about me and my rationale: I suppose I'm one of the new breed of DIY investors so this book was written with me in mind. Suffice to say, I fit the exact profile of the target reader: someone who was drawn to the markets due to chronic paltry bank interest rates, someone with little knowledge of how it all actually works, and someone who was prepared to dabble but had absolutely no intention of paying for a financial adviser.

Last October, I took the plunge (but still played it rather safe) by opening a stocks and shares ISA with a large well-know DIY investor platform. I vividly remember being bewildered about the vast range of investment options and the opaque fee structures. I resolved that I would educate myself (at least to some extent) in how it all works before the next financial year began, i.e. the potential snakes and the potential ladders. Hence, buying this book was part of my education strategy. A stocks and shares ISA is not exactly high-rolling it on the markets, but, for me, it was a big step - a switch in strategy and also a switch in mindset.

I found this book to be a useful overview of the variety of investment instruments and how your personal psychology should play a role in how you approach it. The language is in layman's terms; although I don't claim to understand everything discussed. The author mentions that if you don't understand anything after he's covered it, then it's his fault; but, to be honest, I think about 5% still went over my head.

The book has 4 parts split into 20 chapters:

13. Corporate Bonds and Gilts
14. Cash
15. Investments for the Advanced DIY Investor
16. The Tax-Efficient DIY Investor
17. When It All Goes Wrong - Death, Divorce, Bankruptcy, Complaints and the Financial Services Compensation Scheme
18. Building a Risk-Adjusted Portfolio
19. Strategies for Investing
20. Choosing a DIY Investment Platform and Getting Started

As I'm in a final salary pension scheme, I skipped the sections on SIPPs. I found chapters 3, 4, 9 and 12 to be the most interesting and useful. I'll probably still stick to a stocks and shares ISA and hold funds within it, rather than dabble in equities. Eventually, all going well, I'll perhaps go into some blue-chip equities.

Overall, a useful read. A lot of the content consolidated what I had picked up elsewhere e.g. from newspapers, magazines and online forums; but it was useful to have everything covered like this in a cogent book.

As low interest rates look like they'll be around for years to come, I expect that many more of the general public will dip their toes into the markets. At the moment, my funds are up about 4% over a 4 month period. In contrast to savings accounts at the moment which are paying around 1% gross per anum. However, I've also realised that it's a long game that requires a new mindset, and that the markets have lots of vagaries.

If you're serious about diversifying from traditional (and safe) routes such as savings accounts to investments then books like this will give you that little bit more confidence to move forward with your eyes wide open - rather than in blissful ignorance.

4.0 out of 5 stars What it says on the cover ..., 6 Nov 2013
Useful, I took some good ideas from it. It was not full of jargon and easy to follow. I was surprised that every bit was easily understandable, perhaps i know more than I thought..

5.0 out of 5 stars Great educational material for amateur investors., 8 Dec 2013
This book is an excellent resource to help educate amateur investors and increased my confidence in investing. It simplifies and explains some potentially confusing topics, helping me feel more comfortable about taking planning responsibility for my family's financial future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sound basis for self-investing, 5 Dec 2013
Derek Simpson "hgiderek" (Newcastle, UK) - See all my reviews
Very readable and understandable, with perhaps a little too much devoted to SIPPs as the only criticism. Have loaned it to an apprehensive friend who needs such advice - should work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Clear and straightforward, 17 Nov 2013
This book de-mystifies the process and gives clear advice on investing.Invaluable for the amateur investor who wants to protect against investing errors and give him/herself a chance of beating the market.

ARRAY(0xa68d54bc)