5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun!, 20 Nov 2013
A lovely, funny and scientific rigorous romp through the cryptozoological zoo. Great Lovecraftian references, especially the flying polyps at the end.

I've now read this a few times, and enjoyed it even more. There's a lot of material densely packed into well-written and clear prose, and I'm having loads of fun tracking down and going through the references.

Money well spent.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun and informative look at the world unseen, 10 Jan 2014
This review is from: Cryptozoologicon: Volume I (Paperback)
I bought the Cryptozoologican after starting to listen to the Tetrapod Zoology Podcast - run by the authors. The banter and discussions of presenters rekindled my childhood interest in cryptozoology. As an ecologist I was interested in the attempts the book makes to place the 'mystery creature' into a real context.

The pictures are great and the style is upbeat and jovial. It may not appeal to some but for anyone with an interest in a scientific analysis of mystery creatures.

The only reason I didn't make it a full 5 stars is because I would have liked even more science. I would be interested to see analysis of the ecology of these species not just the possible evolutionary development of the species.

Excellent work and I m looking forward to Volume 2.

Cryptozoologicon: Volume I
Cryptozoologicon: Volume I by Darren Naish (Paperback - 7 Nov 2013)