5.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 7 Jan 2013
Yes, this book is a little twisted but it is not without humour. The narrator - Greg - makes some wry observations about LA life that may not have you belly-laughing but will, nevertheless, pull at the corners of your mouth in recognition. The author, whilst British, has obviously spent some time in Los Angeles doing some people watching. The darker elements are disturbing in a Bret Easton Ellis kind of way, but pack more of a punch due to their descriptive weight - descriptions that had me thinking about the book even after I'd finished reading it. This will be a book that sticks with you. Either because you love it or are repulsed by it. Would make an awesome film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating, challenging, engaging, 20 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Face Burns Red (Paperback)
This is not the sort of book I usually buy but I was intrigued by the fact that, according to the author's bio, it is loosely based on his experiences researching rock and roll hotels in LA. Quite frankly, I'm having trouble believing any of it is true as the story negotiates some strange turns. It's like a David Lynch film in book form. But I was surprised to find myself gripped by it. Captivating language and some startling imagery make this an engaging read, but also challenging - challenging in that it confronts us with the nature of inherent desires and presents us with a Sadean outlook on what it is to be true to our desires. This underlying thread is pursued with an existential mindset and, consequently, makes for unsettling reading; but like watching a car crash, you are compelled to look. Well, in this case compelled to read. And read I did. Very quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 12 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Face Burns Red (Paperback)
Really enjoyed this got the kindle edition and loved it so brought the paperback. A book with such a dark heart i loved it. So well written just something new and fresh only negative could maybe have done another 200 odd pages.

5.0 out of 5 stars my first review for a reason, 12 Dec 2012
this is my first review as its the only time ive thought a book worthy of my time. :-)
if you enjoy to put yourself in the authors position when reading, and truly feel the way he or she does then this is definately the book for you.
Reading "the face burns red" i began to picture myself as the main character 'greg' and completely got lost in it, you almost forget your surroundings and back drop of LA.

i'll stop there, don't want to give too much away, id strongly suggest reading it for yourself.....

now to buy 'Rock&Roll hotels'

Rick

The Face Burns Red
The Face Burns Red by Greg Simmons (Paperback - 16 Nov 2012)
4.89