Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 August 2013
The View from Kleoboulos.

A Novel by John Manuel.

This first novel from John Manuel, author of four books about life and living in Greece, is a revelation.

A story mostly centred upon the lives of four main characters and the twists and turns that life is capable of throwing at all of us.

This book is a "must" for any Grecophile if only for the vivid descriptions of the journey of the book's main character, Allyson, throughout Greece to her final destination, settling in Lindos on the island of Rhodes.

As a resident of Rhodes himself John Manuel shows his love, affection and knowledge of this island in such a way that anyone who has ever visited can only be infected by his prose and detailed depictions of Lindos - both during the busy Summer months as well as the true beauty of this ancient village in the Winter time.

His book's secondary characters serve beautifully to enhance the book's main charm, which in my opinion, is encapsulated in the book's opening quote from Proverbs: 18:13... "To answer before listening - this is folly and shame."

To read this book and not see the beauty in the tragedy that so many people experience in the course of this life is... to answer before listening.

Having just read the other reviews of this book I would like to say to John: I want to know about Claire & Julia's subsequent lives!
on 30 September 2013
I have to admit to bing an avid Grecophile to begin with , and have travelled the Greek Islands on and off during the past 30 years.
It was this that led me initially to reading John Manuel's blog , and his previous travel memoirs (which I can also recommend - very funny and his love of Greece shines through - as any like minded Grecophile will pick up on)

I read The View from Kleobolos on my very recent holiday on Rhodes (always helps to read them in the right environment - but you will be transported there anyway once you get into the book)

Loved it !- very easy to get into , and all the way through I couldn't help but imagine it as a Richard Curtis type production -(remember you heard it here first !) a great story.

Ps - can I have first dibs at playing Claire ; ) .
on 30 September 2015
I have to say that I bought this book as it is all about Rhodes which was where I took my holiday this year. The story was well written, easy to get into and very descriptive, an added bonus was the fact that some places mentioned within the book I had visited whilst on holiday so I could immediately relate to those places, however you do not need to visit Rhodes to enjoy this story. The story tells of how Dean and Alyson meet in a bar, and how Alyson's mother once worked with a musician called Brian who plays guitar and sings in a bar in Lindos. The story continues with revelations regarding Brian and Christine (Alyson's mother) and their daughters love life.

I don't want to say too much more as I don't want to spoil the ending of the story, suffice to say that I enjoyed it so much that I bought the prequel "A Brief Moment of Sunshine" and am enjoying this just as much
on 17 June 2015
Read this on holiday in Rhodes which added to my enjoyment. Well written with believable characters and fantastic descriptions of Rhodes and Lindos especially.
on 12 September 2013
Downloaded this to read prior to my holiday to Lindos. I enjoyed it very much, so much so I wanted to walk to Kleoboulos tomb myself. Big mistake! Not the gentle stroll along a well trodden path at all! Took an hour over rough uneven ground that even a goat would think twice about. Not worth the effort, believe me! Still, it was a story and maybe should have realised the author would have used her imagination to romanticize it! The fact I was sucked in must say a lot for the story teller, well done.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 October 2015
Another great read from an author who transports you from England to Greece with wonderful descriptions and characters. Well worth a read ,
on 28 August 2015
Again ( like Eve), a good story but far too descriptive, and repetitive. We know when someone is born so no need to ram the message home. Also I have read 4 of John's books now and every one has the same error 'eachother' rather than each other all the way through
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 August 2015
Fantastic story really enjoyed it. Thank you.
on 13 May 2014
Loved this one just as much as A Brief Moment of Sunshine. The descriptions of Rhodes and Lindos in particular are brought to vivid life by John's writing. Thoroughly enjoyable especially for a Rhodofile.
on 16 September 2013
Intriguing plot, quite surprisingly. The several twists keep the reader enthralled to the very last word. Ending a little normal but it was a happy one!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse