5.0 out of 5 stars Great look back at early WWF.
Published 8 months ago by Mr S Cullinane

3.0 out of 5 stars Smarky but comprehensive
This is one of the very rare self-published books that is significantly better in print than e-book format. That's not to disparage the Kindle edition (and if cost is a factor it's likely better value), but it's a much easier read in print thanks to the great layout, formatting and artwork.

The book itself is very comprehensive and a genuinely useful reference...
Published 20 months ago by Mr. John N. Lister

5.0 out of 5 stars Great look back at early WWF., 23 Dec 2013
Really great ebook looking back at (mostly) 80s WWF. Written by real wrestling fans and it really comes across when reading the book. Funny and informative. Really makes me want to dig out the videos being reviewed. Lots of backstage notes are included to go along with the reviews which really allows you, the reader, to understand the angles going on at that time. Will be purchasing Volume 2 for sure. Great work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read, 25 Sep 2013
pphillips (Leeds England) - See all my reviews
Very, very good book that was both funny and insightful. This isn't a period in the then WWF's history that I am overly familiar but this book was written so well I found myself looking up many of the matches or angles described. I highly recommend this book to any wrestling fan.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost Curt Hennig., 7 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Complete WWF Video Guide, Vol. 1: Rock 'n' Wrestling (1985-1989) (History of Wrestling) (Paperback)
When I heard about this book in Powerslam magazine - I knew I needed to get it.

This is my era of wrestling!

I remember it was 1988, I was 11 years old. I came back from school and to my utter surprise, I found that my Dad had had cable installed.

Over the next couple of weeks, I spent hours watching the multitude of different channels - I was quickly drawn to the Wrestling.

It didn't really matter that British Wrestling had just been cancelled on TV, this was far better to my young eyes.

The WWF's popularity soon spread all over my school and within a year, Silvervision started to release VHS tapes. I remember that you had to order them over the telephone, I ordered Wrestlemania's Greatest Matches and Hulk Hogan Real America, I passed on High Flyers.

Soon after, I bought almost every official tape released. Each release, featured content from before I started watching. I remember I used to love not knowing what matches or which wrestlers were going to be featured. Remember this was pre-internet, so the only way I could learn about the history of wrestling, other than the tapes was the imported Victory Sports magazines, which whilst informative, were still worked.

I never got into tape trading - I wish I had but I think I was too young. I used to look longingly at the adverts of the US tapes in the WWF magazine.

25 years later, thanks to this book, I get to relive the tapes I had and finally learn what content and how good the American ones were!

First of all, I was very impressed at how many pages are in this book, it covers a vast amount of tapes(sorry, I didn't count them) - great value for money.

Secondly, the layout is superb. I love that the video covers have been reproduced, I love the wrestler profiles throughout the book and I love that it highlights everything featured on the tape - It's very easy and enjoyable to read.

I didn't know Coliseum Video had released 80% of these tapes and as a long time wrestling fan, even I didn't know that some of these match-ups existed.

The synopsis/review of each match is very informative and there's good description of the action. If I had a criticism, I would replace the star rating with a percentage system. To me 55% looks better and clearer than **3/4.

Funnily, I did learn that even back then, the choice of matches put onto each tape is questionable or that the WWE still doesn't know after all these years, what to include and what to disregard.

I would have liked to have given this book 5 stars but there are just a few grammatical errors, some pages are in the wrong order and some of the contributors could have been a bit more objective but nothing that takes any real enjoyment away.

I highly recommend this book to people who lived the era or to those that want to learn more about the history of the WWE!

I got Volume 2 in the post today

3.0 out of 5 stars Smarky but comprehensive, 18 Dec 2012
Mr. John N. Lister (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews

The book itself is very comprehensive and a genuinely useful reference guide, even if choosing between vintage WWF tapes is (thanks to the likes of YouTube) now an issue of time rather than money. There are some very neat touches like a complete ranking of all the tapes and a listing of the highest rated individual matches, plus some fun capsule bios.

The writing style won't necessarily be to everyone's taste. From a literary perspective it's fine -- it all reads smoothly and flows well. However, with a review project like this there's a fine line between being dry and dull, or being too outlandish. The style varies as there's a panel of authors, but on several occasions it verges too far into a forced personality with too many of the "smart fan" cliches such as excessive swearing, repetitive jokes about bookers being on drugs and the like. I understand these will be refined in volume 2, which will be a welcome improvement. One particular issue is the repeated references to individual wrestlers' motivation going into a bout (in reality, not storyline) which is clearly little more than speculation.

All that aside, it's definitely worth a read whether you are coming to this as nostalgia or its your first exposure to some of these classic -- and not so classic - video releases.