Although I would have rathered have a beter ending to the book, I found that this book has taken me all the way to Greenland and Denmark, becoming an Eskimo, being smilla.
Published on 19 Dec. 2008 by L. DEE

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm not a great fan of this genre
Published 5 months ago by T

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I have read in a very long time, intelligent and interesting, 19 Dec. 2008
L. DEE "Hila" (UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars A Perfect Picture of a Young Woman's Mind, 2 May 2010
Answering the Customer, I have to say that being a woman myself, I had to stop countless times to catch my breath while reading the book, so amazed I was with the author's insights into a woman's mind. Smilla's thoughts, motivations, even her lifestyle - I could put my name under all of it. I'm actually surprised a male writer could see so well through a woman's psyche. An absolutely gorgeous book - a long, slow, luxurious read. The translation is gorgeous, too. Can't get any better. Absolutely love it.

And it's a breathtaking thriller to boot! If I could describe it in one sentence, think Susanne Vega's Tom's Diner (yeees, the song) meets Alfred Hitchcock. Highly recommended!

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm not a great fan of this genre, 8 Dec. 2014
T (ENFIELD, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I'm not a great fan of this genre, however this was recommended in one of the news papers, so I thought I would give it a try. I am glad did, albeit its not quite my favoured subject area; and I am sure that if you like this genre, you will most certainly enjoy it. It is however worth bearing in mind, that the style of writing is not quite in the same league as the Girl with Dragon Tatoo, but not far from it either. It does give quite an insight into Greenlanders living in Denmark. It is worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good story, good quality writing, 11 Aug. 2014
I now have an understanding of the relationship between Greenland and Denmark, and reading this book in Copenhagen made it even more real. Good story, good quality writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great insight, 12 Dec. 2013
Great insight into life as an "outsider". Wonderful education all round, great descriptive. Well worth the effort, it's fairly long but doesn't drag

4.0 out of 5 stars Greenlandic wonder, 3 Feb. 2011
Mr. G. Kania (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Smilla's Sense of Snow (Hardcover)
This was a surprising and gripping book, but not for the plot itself. The murder mystery plot line toddles along but did not grip me, however the tale is told through the eyes of a female Inuit from north Greenland who has settled in Denmark. She speaks with passion about her culture and the lot of Greenland and Greenlanders, the story is peppered with nuggets about the culture and the language, the people and the places as well as greenlandic life, and the lot of greenlanders to move to Denmark. Hoeg, a Dane, is in touch not only with his feminine self, but also his greenlandic self! He used to be in shipping, and I presume he's drawing on his experience of visits to Greenland for this story, as well has his detailed knowledge of ships which is used here. I have only one apologetic gripe: the version I read was for the US market, and so had been translated into American English which did not sit well at all: it was the first fictional book I had read in American which was not by an american author, and I found it quite off putting to read about 'sidewalks' and 'faucetts' and 'subways' to say nothing of havinging to work out what the degrees Fahrenheit mean in the more familiar Celcius - and as you can imagine, there was quite a lot on temperatures of things! Still i have no "ax" (us spelling apparently!) to grind!

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth it, 4 May 2015
Good story line, a bit drawn out in parts but overall a good read

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 9 May 2015
Arrived promptly. As decribed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 May 2015
This review is from: Smilla's Sense of Snow (Hardcover)
NOW HAVE OWN COPY GOOD NEWS

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 Jan. 2015
i love it; a masterpiece

Smilla's Sense of Snow
Smilla's Sense of Snow by Peter Hoeg (Paperback - 27 Mar. 2012)