Format: Hardcover|Change

on 7 July 2011
I'm the publisher and although I chose to revive this novel because it's so throughly engaging and has a surprisingly topical theme I'm concerned that the tag line - `a book in four parts' - used above is misleading. The book is divided into four parts all of which are published in this one volume. It's a big book but carries you along in such an engrossing manner you can't help but speed through, pacing along with a following wind of well crafted characters, plot and dialogue. Happy reading.
on 29 August 2011
I recommend this to all fans of Jane Austen as the author was a contemporary of Austen, though I suspect unfamiliar to most of us today. Many of the themes are the same, primarily the need for a young woman to make a successful marriage. However, the canvas is broader in this work and there is a lot of emphasis on the careers of the male characters in the law, medicine and the church. Although much of this seemed a bit divorced from reality and in some instances fanciful, this doesn't seem to matter much as one is swept along by the sheer enthusiasm of the narrative. It would make a great Sunday night TV drama as there is a full cast of assorted characters.