5.0 out of 5 stars Good general overview
I found the book easy to follow, it gives a good general overview of Logo design. Things you need to consider from start to finish. With being a web designer not a pure graphic designer I found this book very helpful indeed. Features some great examples too, well worth a read!
Published 22 months ago by Heather

3.0 out of 5 stars OK - nothing special
I've bought a number of books now that had excellent reviews and didn't come up to scratch; I'm afraid this is one of them. Without boring people to death, this is very much a beginners book and nothing else.
Published 21 months ago by chris wilby

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Good general overview, 5 Sep 2012
This review is from: Smashing Logo Design: The Art of Creating Visual Identities (Smashing Magazine Book Series) (Paperback)

4.0 out of 5 stars Best brand forward..., 24 Aug 2011
techpuppy "aka stylepuppy" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've got a couple of the Smashing books now and they've always proved to be really useful. They're not best-suited to beginners, as they usually assume some prior knowledge of the subject, but if you're ready to take your abilities to the next level they're great. Smashing Logo Design keeps up the standard although it's slimmer than some of its shelf-mates. It's not a practical guide to Photoshop techniques, although they're included, instead it distills ideas from various areas to suggest an overall strategy for designing effective brand identities.

The book first breaks down logo design into its various types -- wordmarks, letterforms etc -- and the reasons you might choose each style. Then the individual disciplines needed for the actual design are covered including basic conceptualisation, font and colour choices, presentation to the client and even what file-types you'll need to supply in the finished package. However, Smashing Logo Design is intended to be as much inspiration as instruction because almost a third of the book consists of a showcase section, featuring hundreds of finished logos you can browse for ideas. It's not the cynical page-filling ruse it might sound - they make a valuable source-book of ideas and techniques for when you get stuck without that first spark of an idea. All together it's a well-focussed and helpful reference not only useful for graphic designers but also for potential clients who want to ensure they get the best logo for their projects.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource, 23 Aug 2011
Andrew "impulsive gadget buyer" (Wales) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am an aspiring web designer and I found the book an inetersteing read with some good points to consider and lots of examples.

Don't read this expecting to be told how to come up with ideas, read it for tips and considerations on how to implement the ideas you have. You can't instruct someone how to be creative, as its somethign uniquely individual to every person. This book helps you along your own creative path with tips and suggestions about how you might implement what you come up with.

The book covers the design, implementation and what software you might use and how you interact with clients etc. All provided in easy to digest sections whcih I found easy to read.

The auhtor comes across as very experienced in this field and the book is well laid out with some good examples to consider.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really well explained, 16 Aug 2011
AM (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really like this book. It talks through everything concerned with logo design from colours, fonts, transferring to screen, conceptualisation and everything is nicely illustrated (as you would expect). It's also written clearly and concisely.

It's got more of a feel of one of those bi-annual posh magazines to it. As an occasional web developer, I've tended to develop logos for my own and client websites and while I am ok at doing so, I definitely think that this will help me in future projects.

It's a great reference book and one that I can see myself using regularly.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Smashing Reference and Guide to Logo Design, 27 July 2011
M. J. Jacobs "michael jacobs" (Edgware, London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book is written by somebody who understands his trade, and how to run a business doing it. All the advice is solid and sensible, and the tips he gives are invaluable for anybody who wants to branch out into logo design. I have been designing logos for myself and for others for many years, but there is still a lot I can gain from this book. It is excellent!

He talks you through the creative process, and advises how what seems good can become better. How to pick a suitable shape, colour scheme, typography and how to put the whole concept together. He explains how to be original, where to look for ideas, and how to spot a client who is going to be more trouble than they are worth.

An amateurish logo can ruin a company's image, and this book has everything you need to know to avoid the pitfalls, and create a lasting identity

The book is packed with classic designs, and explains why they are good. Everybody knows the Coke (TM) logo, and it is over 100 years old. Most other companies dabble and drift over the years.

The sections on how to deal with clients so that you can know what they want, and deliver it to get paid are essential reading for any freelancer.

It makes me want to know what else the "Smashing Magazine" has published which might also be useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars insightful guide, easy to read, 5 July 2011
The author has created a simple-to-read guide on logo design, which takes some of the mystique out of the process to make it easier for marketing professionals. Yet, at no time does this read like a Logos for Dummies: the author's talent and passion come through his words, as well as his curation of great logos from around the world. Thoroughly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Much of value within these pages, 18 April 2013
M. Hadfield "Ammonite" (Runcorn, Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Heavy, printed on quality, glossy paper, and, as you would expect from a book on design - nicely laid out, with plenty of white space so that examples are clear and uncluttered. I am not a designer, and was rather hoping that this book would help me to come up with a new logo for my business. I haven't, yet, but that's not the book's fault. I don't think I have sufficient skill yet with tools like Illustrator to be able to create what I want even if I know what it is that I want to create. But I'm going to keep working at it. This book has taught me so much about layout, originality, avoiding subconscious copying of other ideas. This is probably the most difficult thing because the book is full of loads of examples of logos and how ideas were turned into logos that I'm finding it difficult to come up with new ideas.

It's a good book and, if you are a beginner at this logo business, you will learn much of value from within its pages. But it seems to be aimed at a reader who wants to make a business out of logo design.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK - nothing special, 5 Oct 2012

4.0 out of 5 stars Rustle a Brand up, 16 Dec 2011
Supertzar - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Very good guide for designers, covering key areas of interpreting a brief, coming up with ideas, refining and avoiding pitfalls. The book assumes a certain amount of knowledge and is not really one for amateurs. Nevertheless, I found its examples of good and bad logos very helpful in helping to refine my branding work and communicating effectively with my designers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Do the logo-motion, 11 Dec 2011
Flickering Ember "I need a break and I wanna ... (Once Upon A Long Ago.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As someone with no prior knowledge or experience in logo design, I found it a bit too advanced for my liking and as such struggled to get to grips with the book, but once I'd mastered the basics by researching online, I found the book really helpful.

Ideas were explained, and the logic behind them made it clear as to why certain kinds of logo design should be used and how this would look to the consumer; would it would communicate to them. It is a really useful tool and I've genuinely learnt enough to be confident in making my own logos. I use Adobe Fireworks a lot for this purpose.

Not for the beginner, but definitely the go-to book for those building on the basics.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›