4.0 out of 5 stars A well written and helpful book and CD.
I am half Polish, my Papa was de-mobbed in the UK after the war. We always used to holiday in Poland every year and from the age of 3, I was left to my own devices with my young cousins so I either had to learn the language or be lonely. As I got older, I found the language easier and easier and became almost fluent in it particularly as after holidays, my Papa and I...
Published on 6 May 2012 by Pyewacket

2.0 out of 5 stars I would not recommend this book
I bought this book in the hopes that it would help me with my current Polish studies, but I was sadly disappointed. As someone who has signed up to various Polish classes and bought quite a few books to help with my language studies I found "Polish for Dummies" to be badly written. The order in which the book takes you over things causes even the most simple...
Published 6 months ago by Kerry

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting introduction, 29 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Polish For Dummies (Paperback)
Everyone learning Polish surely feels like a dummy at the beginning! This book has many realistic scenarios, particularly for the business traveller or student visitor, and plenty of conversations to listen to on the CD which have improved my pronunciation greatly, even if I am still not sure what I am saying sometimes. Random phrases have sunk in such as "Nie jestem fanem kaczki" (I am not a fan of duck) which I am somewhat reticent about trying out on the Polish people I meet locally.

It's going to be a long project. I chose to learn Polish more or less on a whim, however it has become more interesting as time has gone on. This book is one which I will be returning to along with watching helpful online videos about the language and reading about the country itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes it easy to learn, 10 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Polish For Dummies (Paperback)
Previously I have been deterred from using this series as no one likes being called a dummy! But this book does break down the Polish language into easy learning bytes, without making it childish as so many language series do. There are no exercises to do but clear guides on pronunciation and words in Polish which are similar to their english counterparts which helps to build up your language skills. It doesn't get too hard too quickly which is a bonus, yet provides you with a sound basis of the grammar and vocabulary to understand Polish and make yourself understood when you visit Poland. Work through this at your own pace or dip into sections as you wish in conjunction with the audio CD and you will be speaking effective Polish quickly..

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book to learn Polish!, 3 May 2012
This review is from: Polish For Dummies (Paperback)
This is a great book to learn Polish!!! There are plenty of useful words and phrases for any occasion, especially if you are planning to visit Poland and you want to be able to communicate. For example, going out, ordering food, reserving a hotel room and much much more. Also, it does not matter if you don't know any Polish because you will find this book extremely helpful with pronunciation of words because the author cleverly provided how the word should sound phonetically.

Highly recommended!

3.0 out of 5 stars I am sure the book is very good but without the audio promised in the first few ..., 13 Feb. 2015
I am sure the book is very good but without the audio promised in the first few pages its kind of pointless.... If there is a way to get the audio part please could you let me know... Many thanks

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, maybe even one of the best Polish books on the market., 11 Dec. 2012
Coffee & Vanilla "Margot" (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm Polish my husband is from one of the English speaking Caribbean islands.

A while ago we have borrowed from our local library lots of Polish language books for him to learn. Most of them were useless: full of old fashioned phrases no one use again or really hard to understand so he just gave up on learning. That wasn't the case with "Polish for Dummies"! After reading transcripts (available with each phrase) his pronunciation finally was correct.

All the conversations and vocabulary covered in the book are practical, modern and useful in every day situations.

The book is divided into five parts starting with the Polish alphabet and introduction to grammar, explained in a way that is easy to understand for foreigners what is a big achievement as Polish language is truly complicated. "Polish for Dummies" won't overwhelm you with the grammar overload but will give you enough basics to get you started. The second part is dedicated mostly to greetings, basic conversations, shopping and talking on the phone. The third one is all about travelling, directions, hotels, transportation and emergencies. Part four is devoted to using Polish language at work. And finally the last part is a combination of all of the above in sets of tens: Ten Ways to Pick Up Polish Quickly, Ten everyday Polish Expressions, Ten Polish Holidays to Remember and Ten Phrases That Make You Sound Fluent in Polish.

For my husband the audio CD included in the book is definitely a big help in practising and correcting pronunciation to sound more like a native speaker.

Personally, I like the parts of each chapter where the author adds essential facts about Poland and Poles helping to understand their culture and habits, many times written in quite humorous way.

Comparing to the other Polish books we got a chance to try "Polish for Dummies" is not bad, maybe even one of the best Polish books on the market.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for basic or holiday standard Polish, 19 July 2012
TheShopaholic (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have learnt many languages in my lifetime. Mainly latin based but I did German at school, Dutch when I lived in the Netherlands and Chinese when I spent 4 years travelling there on business but I decided I wanted to give those eastern European languages a go and as the Polish community is growing in the UK I thought Polish would be a good one to learn.

The 'for Dummies' books are usually a good start, well laid out and start from scratch. This was no exception. It is easy to work through, not too heavy and meanders through the language at a steady pace rather than racing ahead. It is however, only really a beginners course. It seems to focus heavily upon conversation and the spoken language and less upon grammar (although there is a short grammar and verb section at the back).

For me, it was a nice introduction, but I personally, like to learn and understand the language thoroughly including verbs, how to conjugate them etc so that I can expand my knowledge through other means than speaking. If you just want to pick up the basics of the language for a trip, holiday or to understand your colleagues or neighbours then this really is a good book to go for. If you are hoping for a deep understanding of the Polish language, choose something else.

So, in short, book is nicely laid out and so easy to navigate and pick the language at a steady pace. Plenty of standard useful conversation examples so you can pick up commonly used vocabulary and some basic grammar but this really is just a taster of Polish to start you off but definitely a good place to start and should give you a decent foundation for building on the language.

5.0 out of 5 stars Polish for Dummies, 14 Sept. 2012
Suzan (Neaton) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This works so well in bringing the language alive in the very first chapter by providing recognisable words and giving an excellent pronunciation guide. For me this is by no means an easy language to learn but the user friendly way in which this is set out spurs me on. As others have said there are not verb tables to work through and if I get as far as being understood on holiday then I will be pleased. Clearly I have a long way to go but what is good is that you can dip in and out of chapters without having to go cover to cover.

3.0 out of 5 stars Phonetics - confusion? Go to page 19., 20 Aug. 2012
A. Publishing "Leon" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Polish For Dummies (Paperback)
Having only had a quick read through the first section, it looks mostly quite good.

Polish is not easy, and I note the book says it is not for those who want to speak fluently, but is instead for those who just want to communicate basically in Polish and know some words and phrases (page 4, I paraphrase).

At first glance, it looks like the structure may be well thought out - but Polish being Polish I am beginning to doubt that even a Dummies book can make light work of learning the most important aspects of it.

Before you start reading any of the Polish words and develop bad habits in how you say them, for example the Polish word for please is proszę and the first mention of the word in the book suggests, via phonetics, it is said as pro-she. What they really mean is pro as in prod, and she as in shed. This is explained but LATER at pages 19 and 20. So remember that and don't skip ahead. (In fact, some Polish speakers will say the word proszę with an ending which is hard to describe, but as a Briton I find Polish people usually understand me if I pronounce it as above. Also caution here because the Polish word for piglet is similar to the sound for proszę!)

I am not sure I fully agree with how some of the sounds are replicated, because in the UK regional accents may change how things are said locally, but if the reader follows that guide then, yes, a good enough pronunciation should be possible. It is a shame that this guide was not where I expected to find it before I posted the original review and IMO it should really have been printed before any Polish words and their phonetics were quoted in the book. (In Chapter 1, the book lists lots of Polish words and phonetics well before the guide on pages 19 and 20.)

That said, yes it is quite a good book, nevertheless. Perhaps I was just hoping for something unrealistically easy.

Some of you reading this will think I am exaggerating on how difficult Polish is - well, if you think you know the language then you probably don't! Native Poles tell me that they are not always able to get the correct forms and some tell me their siblings still don't know all the forms and ways to say or write something - and they're natives!

It will be many months or a year until I finish reading the book - these are my initial thoughts only.

5.0 out of 5 stars I now understand., 26 Jun. 2014
Lilac Riverbrook (Den Bosch, The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Polish For Dummies (Paperback)
I was having a hard time understanding what I was learning. I have the Rosetta Stone for Polish, but it just left me confused and unable to learn. I just did not know what I was doing or even understanding what I am supposed to do. This book helps me understand what I am saying and how to interact with the polish community.

I gave it 5 stars, because it helps me understand the grammar and how to say the words in the right way. Instead of having to repeat the same word 100 times in order to get it right.

I recommend this to anyone willing to learn this language.

5.0 out of 5 stars it works for me, 20 May 2014
C. Burdfield "colin" (england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Polish For Dummies (Paperback)
I have been using this for a month and have been impressed both with the book and my own progress in learning this unfamiliar language. I like the way it gives you a variety of ways to make progress. It is not a sequential approach. Instead you can dip into different aspects of the language and make progress on several fronts. The CD is good, too.

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

Polish For Dummies
Polish For Dummies by Daria Gabryanczyk (Paperback - 27 Mar. 2012)
Ł10.41