Format: Hardcover|Change

on 18 February 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have suffered with depression and received 12 sessions of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy with a therapist. In my review of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Dummies, I stated that the book would come in useful for me as a refresher of my sessions and to help in preventing a slide back into a depressive phase. I also said that I did not think the book alone is a universal panacea.

This book is intended as a workbook for use over a 12 week period to assist with your issues, whether they be anxiety, panic attack or depression. Much like the therapy sessions that I had, each section tackles a particular area and then provides the opportunity for you to gather thoughts, feelings and notes related to that topic. Some of these are questions with spaces for your answer, others leave space for lists or reflections on your progress. Just the act of writing down the thoughts and feelings that upset you can help in diminishing their impact but the problem with any book is that it can only generalise, rather than set specific tasks for you as a dedicated therapist would. As so much of the book is left for you to complete, it is also briefer in description than the full CBT For Dummies book.

In many ways I wish I had had this book at the time of my sessions - in most cases I had a photocopied page from my therapist and my notes were on loose A4 sheets. This discrete journal (it's plain black hardback, the yellow logo area is a removable dustcover) can be carried around and updated without drawing attention to itself and your notes will be much more organised than mine were. However I did find the freedom of a piece of paper quite liberating, whereas I might find myself trying to be neat and tidy in a journal, to the detriment of free flowing thoughts.

The biggest caveat I have though is regarding the identification of the root cause of your issues. My therapist was quite clear in our initial session that we would have to work as a team and that some of the things I would have to deal with and contemplate would be difficult and upsetting. If your depression or anxiety is mild you may be able to confront this yourself with the aid of the book alone and I think it would assist people with deeper problems but I am not sure to what extent.

Emotional problems affect many people and I think it is better to have books like this available than not but if you are able to seek professional help (it's available from the NHS) then do so and use a book like this for your notes and ongoing review.
on 11 August 2012
Perfect super lighting delivery as I currently having C.B.T via local nhs is a valuable item to help overcome those black/grey areas. I recommend this book the cover saying CBT Journal for Dummies is loose and it you dont want people to see what your writing in then it easy to remove without damage to the book, full of useful tips and full explainations of what cbt is.
VINE VOICEon 25 April 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If you're ready to start dealing with your anxieties but don't want to or can't go to CBT, this is the book for you. It's lovely and discreet once you take off the yellow wrapper and inside explains the basic principles of CBT.

It has a lovely calming tone as well as regular inspiring quotations to make you feel you're not alone. Every day you get a new exercise to do and fill in, which is a really helpful way of taking you through things and getting you to think.

Coupled with Neff's Self Compassion, this has really improved my overall quality of life.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 13 March 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )|Verified Purchase
A very good journal and nice accompaniment to the main 'Dummies CBT' book though also more than justifies its existence when used in isolation.
Of course everything has its limitations and talking therapies in conjunction or not with this journal are almost always more preferable to working through ones problems in isolation but it is a good starting/finishing point. I think it is well constructed and clear and will help to breakdown and crystalise many peoples specific concerns in the first instance.
One of the things I like about it as compared to print off sheets or jus using blank sheets of paper is that it is very structured. Structure is an incredibly overlooked but important part of maintaining ones participation and interest in a self help format.
It is written in a really pleasant encouraging way. I guess the only criticism I would have is that sometimes it may ask the participant to undertake some written exercise without really providing any context as to what the person may derive from doing so. There is enough positive stuff to focus on in here though so I think it's a good buy. Good luck.
VINE VOICEon 14 March 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I love the idea of this journal. Whether you are interested in CBT as a tool to help others, or because you want to tackle your own personal 'issues', this discrete little black journal will encourage you to work through an understanding of CBT by applying it to your own needs and problems. I'm going to give it a go when I'm away on a 3 month trip and will report back in the summer!

Whatever your reasons for looking at CBT you will also find the companion volumes in the series, CBT for Dummies and CBT Workbook, equally useful. Of course if you really want to help others then doing a properly accredited course is the best way to go - but these books would give you a good basic understanding and reinforce the learning on any proper introductory course to CBT.

If you are considering this Journal to help you work through some of your own issues then I also suggest you find someone else to help you do the 'work', ideally a trained CBT counselor, but anyone with good experience of regular counseling should be able to help. It is possible to work through the Journal and its exercises on your own - but watch out for avoidance of critical stuff, you won't always actually want to be honest with yourself, which is where a good counselor can help you tease out the difficult issues!
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As others reviews have noted this journal is fine as far as it goes. As a companion piece for Cognitive Behavioural Therapy For Dummies and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Workbook for Dummies tit could work. There are daily exercises and space to journal and to check progress. However, it is unstructured and there is little context so it doesn't really work as a stand alone introduction to CBT

Pros
- mix of techniques and journal space
- bite sized chinks and daily exercise to make things manageable
- space to enter response to exercises and to keep track of progress over 12 weeks
- A5 size so can fit in handbag

Cons

- Little context and lmited explanation of techniques
on 29 March 2015
I am actually filling in the empty pages in this book, in spite of being one who detests writing diaries, journals etc - anything that is about feelings (eeew!). It is straightforward and sensible. It is not making me feel embarrassed! Am about 1/4 of the way through: would not say that my funny old head is now in tip-top order, but this book has provided good food for thought, and I am intending to finish it.
on 4 January 2013
I bought this for a friend who was having difficulties copying with life, she was self-harming and in a very dark place, she swears it helped her tremendously, she uses it every day, and all she speaks about is this little book. To see the change in her is testament enough for me that this is a good little book
VINE VOICEon 23 February 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I think the main thing to say about this small but well presented journal is that it fills a gap in the armoury of self-help tools in the CBT methodology. Up until now the books about do-it-yourself CBT have been very good at presenting the ideas and facts about the subject but when it comes to recording the outcomes of the necessary experimentation that is an important part of the proactive approach, there has been some challenge in that potential clients, often seeking help with challenges such as procratination, would have to wander off and find a notebook to support their development and record the outcomes of their experiments. Often at this point the prospective self-help client, may have lost interest. This clever little volume fills that gap between theory and application in a very direct and immediate manner.
The only criticism may be that because there is a padding of text around the jouranl bit - essential if the overall aim is to be achieved, there is only a marginal amount of space available for the actual recording of the activties undertaken. The other thing that then occurs to me is does one use a pencil to make notes and then extend the useability of the journal in terms of time? Such an idea means that the recordings can be rubbed out maybe too easily and the temptation to 'cheat' on oneself may present itself?
One really excellent thing about this journal is the discrete binding. The casual onlooker would never know that this was anything other than a little hardback book, and therefore the user need not discuss their recording of behaviour and thoughts with anyone in the immediate environment on the bus, or at work etc.
On balance a welcome addition to botht the self-help genre and for therapists such as myself seeking a ready made solution to support our clients progress with their therapeutic experiments.
on 24 February 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
WHen you read the title of this book, it seems like a great idea but I am not actually sure to which extent it will be useful in terms of self-help. This book is essentially a number of days of written exercises asking you to first define your problem, set yourself some goals and then write about different things every day for 83 days. Each day has got different themes such as Getting The Gratitude Attitude, Overcoming Obstacles, Finding Forgiveness etc.

It all sounds lovely and I am sure it won't do you any harm whatsoever if you did follow this book all the way to the end. In fact, it would probably help you become more positive than not. However, I have absolutely no idea how writing about a set of miscellaneous topics would help you resolve any specific issues. You may as well just commit to finding one positive thing in your life every day and write about it in some notepad that cost you less than a pound in your local Tesco. You would be less restricted in your thinking and page size.

Giving it 2 stars because the idea was great but not well executed.