I've been keeping bees for almost 1 year now - and its been a difficult year with my first colony nearly dying out from an underperforming queen and precious little help around to help me sort it out. So in a year I've had to come a long way.

Published on 8 Nov 2011 by The Navigator

3.0 out of 5 stars beekeeping for dummies
Good Initial book for the beginner, even children could get to grips with this one - you will undoubted need a comprehensive text but it does give you the essentials that you must consider and is a nice lightweight read into the subject
Published 13 months ago by loxx

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars First rate: the best beginners and intermediate beekeeping guide?, 8 Nov 2011
This review is from: Beekeeping For Dummies (UK Edition) (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

En route I've read a bunch of bee books, all of them reasonable (David Cramp, Bees in the city and started Ted Hoopers erudite and distinguished "guide to bees and honey"). When this dropped through the door courtesy of Amazon Vine the wife asked what I needed yet another bee book for. The answer is that I probably wouldn't have if I'd started with this one. It's chummy (a little irritating) didactic (good for beginners) and full of "dummies" special chapters "ten top things to do..." which is fine, but doesn't press my buttons particularly.

But the core of the book is unquestionably excellent. There is lots of relevant information and sound practical advice which is very clearly described and easy to follow. There's plenty of it too - it may be a beginners book (and its written in a way which makes it very beginner friendly), but beyond that, its got an awful lot of information to take you a long way from your starter status.

Previous editions of the book were rightly criticised for being too American in orientation - important as Americans use different hives, have different pests (thankfully no Africanised bees here) and raids by bears are not an issue, at least not in this part of London.

This is a terrific book - unreservedly recommended

4.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely buzzing with information, 4 Jan 2012
J. A. Walls "Say something about yourself!" (Nr Stroud, Gloucester) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Beekeeping For Dummies (UK Edition) (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I loved this, I got it on a whim as I will be shortly moving to a more rural area and have this fantasy that I will become Sherlock Holmes in my dotage and collect bees

This book does indeed cater to the beginner, the absolute beginner and here lies my only reason for taking 1 star off. There could have been more photos and colour rather than black and white would certainly have helped as well.
However, that is a small niggle, because I genuinely feel like I have learnt something from this book, certainly more than before.
The best thing about these "dummies" books is they are always written by people who are genuinely enthusiastic and this is certainly evident here

I'm not ready for my hive yet, but this book has completely inspired me to kee my dream alive

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful, 28 Jan 2014
A good starter tome from which to move on to more detailed reference works. I read it from cover to cover, so I now have a better overall understanding of the art of beekeeping.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 23 Sep 2013
This review is from: Beekeeping For Dummies (UK Edition) (Paperback)
Everything you need to know in easy to understand language. Fascinating bees!
We should all appreciate bees more and make our gardens bee friendly.

3.0 out of 5 stars beekeeping for dummies, 27 Feb 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars First class little book, 23 Mar 2013
This review is from: Beekeeping For Dummies (UK Edition) (Paperback)
Ordered this book as I hope to keep bees in the very near future. Thought it would give some insight to whats involved.
Can I say I was not and am not disappointed in any way. Its a mine of information in simple lay mans terms from start to finish. An excellent reference book for the future. Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 11 Mar 2013
This review is from: Beekeeping For Dummies (UK Edition) (Paperback)
I have enjoyed reading this book amongst other bee keeping books and have found it easy to understand. It is very informative and I am keen to learn more about the subject.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bees for Dummies, 15 Feb 2013
H C A Montgomerie (Lincoln, Lincolnshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beekeeping For Dummies (UK Edition) (Paperback)
Excellent reference book which is also easy to read and understand. At least as good as the standard books and easier to find particular bits of info than one of the straight narrative books.

5.0 out of 5 stars BeeKeeping Review, 10 Mar 2012
This review is from: Beekeeping For Dummies (UK Edition) (Paperback)
A useful book which breaks down the various sections into manageable parts.

Easy to read & the sort of book that can be 'dipped into', to find the required subject without having to read the whole book cover to cover, although I'll admit that I have!!!

Well worth the money for novices, such as myself, or others just wishing to brush up on odd sections.

5.0 out of 5 stars Readability and understanding, 16 Jan 2014
.Easy to follow for the absolute novice and recommended to read to get the basic knowledge before embarking on the actual

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb51df678)

Beekeeping For Dummies (UK Edition)
Beekeeping For Dummies (UK Edition) by Howland Blackiston (Paperback - 21 Oct 2011)
10.87