on 12 January 2013
This was a big disappointment, and adds to the growing body of predominantly poor or average literature on this potentially rich theme. By all means point me in the right direction if I'm missing the mother lode here. If you're an experienced diver, there is little here you've not heard, or can hear similar on, over a beer. Or read in more depth in other sources. It's a series of very short stories, of a superficial and journalistic nature, with little of the characters, human/psychological aspects, or potential interest of the topics. More than anything, ironically, it lacked depth. The short tales reminded me of 5 minute articles in diving magazines. If you're a non-diver, you'll wait until half way through for an explanation of nitrogen narcosis, and until almost the end for the basics of breathing mixed gases. As for 'amazing' and 'incredible tales', many are mundane and some just boring: Ok, Norman Tebbit got bit by a turtle, phew! You went to Barra, the facilities were poor, and the trip was abandoned. Sharks sometimes bite people. Even the genuinely interesting tales are told in such a way that I experienced relief at their brevity, or frustration with the lack of more literary meat. There's plenty of moaning about poor dive facilities, none of which is 'amazing'. Some great photos, super topics, and clearly many rich experiences. There's a few interesting bits and pieces in there, but, like many divers, I have my own 'amazing' tales, and this selection left me preferring these.
on 14 August 2012
This is a great book, from the first anecdote (which can be read in it's entirety with the Click To Look Inside Amazon feature) to the last keeps you turning the page until the very last page. I picked the book up, late last night with the intention of only reading a couple of stories at a time - I'm now halfway through the flipping book.

This could prove to be far more expensive than I purchased it for, as a rather jaded diver who only gets in the water for a damn good reason it's rekindled a little spark of passion for diving again and I'm now thinking of my next diving trip. I've also a four year old boy that loves the idea of scuba diving and can't wait until he's old enough to try it, this could prove to be a very handy bedtime reading book for them -easily digestible and full of adventure. Perfect.

If you're a non-diver or someone who's just wanted to try it I highly recommend this book - you'll be booked up on your Open Water course within a week...
on 24 June 2014
I stop reading half-a-way through.
Silly little story, albeit well written, that let you hung on for something "amazing" that just does not happen.

If you are a divers, don't bother.
on 17 March 2016
Really not that amazing
on 27 September 2012
John Bantin's collection of articles is very well crafted for the non-diver or the relatively new diver. Having said that, and even though I recall several from their first publication, I found each tale interesting, many of them captivating. The length of each is sufficient to maintain and satisfy interest, not so much as to let the reader's attention wander. All are pacy with sufficient technical information, so not over-facing.

In rare cases, a very old and somewhat bold diver may know all this. I would recommend this book as a gift for any but the most advanced recreational diver (i.e one with hundreds of dives in all environments).
on 21 October 2014
Great stocking filler for diving fans
on 28 September 2012
I bought this book to read on holiday in Egypt and was not dissapointed.

A collection of different true stories that will make you smile and make you cringe... each ones different and anyone into scuba will be able to relate to the majority of them in one way or another. The author has a quirky writing style that I enjoyed too, much like his scuba reviews I have enjoyed so much over the years in magazines.

The short story format is also perfect for reading a little at a time as you can read one story then put it down for hours or days as you dont need to recap later what it was about. Perfect for holidays when the missus drags you off from your diving surface interval for some poxy sightseeing.

Buy it... you wont be dissapointed.
on 16 October 2012
Great selection of stories from a man who has literally been there and done that.

A good read for divers and lovers of adventure everywhere. Treat yourself or buy this for a friend. Would make an excellent xmas present.

One of the nice things about this book is that the stories aren't long so you can dip in and out when you have a few minutes

I might have given it the full 5 stars except I have had the pleasure of Mr Bantin's company on a couple of diving safari when i worked in the Red Sea and I've heard a few of the stories before!

Roll on Volume 2.
on 16 September 2012
this is a great collection of diving stories.
some situations and experiences you will be all too familiar with and others that will blow you away and have you yearning to get back into the water.

a highly recommended read.
on 24 August 2013
I bought this for my partner as we are going to Thailand and he will be diving, unfortunately I have started reading it before he has even had a chance of a sneak peak! Its super reading!