4.0 out of 5 stars The dispensable indispensable guide to Spotify
I've been using Spotify in anger for about a year now, and I love it. So when the opportunity arose to review Spotify for Dummies, I grabbed it with both hands, hoping to enhance my listening experience.

Published on 27 Jan 2012 by Quicksilver

3.0 out of 5 stars nullify
As a new user to Spotify, this guide looked like a worthy companion. And to a degree it is. The question is how really very difficult is it to get to grips with the service anyway?

How up the date it will remain is another issue.

Published on 19 July 2012 by mfl

4.0 out of 5 stars The dispensable indispensable guide to Spotify, 27 Jan 2012
Quicksilver (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

At first I found myself wondering who would possibly want to buy this book. The opening chapters deal with why you might choose to use Spotify, how to download it, and how to make it work. To be honest, if you have reached the point in your life where you think you want to stream your music digitally, you are going to have no difficulty working out all this by yourself. So my initial impressions were unfavourable.

After about Chapter 8 though, the book became more useful. As with many computer applications, I knew the parts of Spotify that I used regularly very well, but I rarely went any further. With the help of this book, I have been able to discover some extra features that enabled me to take my user experience to the next level. It has to be said that most of what is in here I could have found out myself by searching through the forums run by dedicated Spotify user community, but this book condenses a lot of good stuff down into an easy to find format - which has saved me a lot of time.

The book is easy to read, though as other reviewers have commented, it does sometimes rather belabour the point. It has some very useful snippets of information, particularly about the social-networking side of the application, and third-party apps to run alongside it. Whilst this has all been very interesting to read, I'm not sure how often I will open the book again now I've read it. If you're thinking of buying a copy of this book, I'd would recommend borrowing one from the library first. Some of the information in here is indispensable, but I think you'll be happy to let the book go once you've read it...

4.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive guide best for computing newcomers, 25 Jan 2012
R. WEST-SOLEY "Rich West-Soley" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great guide, covering every aspect of the Spotify service in a friendly and accessible way. However, Spotify is very user-friendly anyway, and it's unlikely that you'll need a book like this if you're already an experienced computer user. It's much more suited to computing newbies, perhaps an older relative who has recently got a laptop / broadband and wants to make the most out of the new toy.

That's not to say I didn't glean a couple of hints and tips from it. As a non-Premium user, I haven't used features such as offline playing and Spotify via mobile apps, and the book offers loads of advice on these - as a result I'm much more clued up about what the Premium account offers that my regular one doesn't. There's also a comprehensive section on the community features which taught this old hack a thing or two.

Quality presentation and writing as expected from the Dummies books - a great present for that new owner of a laptop you know.

4.0 out of 5 stars For people who have never used Spotify before........, 1 Jan 2012
mandynolan "mandynolan" - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have used Spotify for a while and because of this I have got to know its foibles and have got through them.

I was, however,interested to see if there was anything that I had missed and so was glad when I was offered this guide.

I think that it is a very good guide for a new user of Spotify. It is of less use to an experienced user.

The only aspect of Spotify that I have not used is the social one. The idea of sharing music with friends. The book gave good guidance on this.

So, if you are new to Spotify this book will tell you about how to set it up, how to sync it to numerous devices, how to make playlists etc.

It is especially helpful to someone who has ever even used something like iTunes, that is a complete digital novice.

That is what Dummies books are for after all. They take you through a process in an easy and accessible way. I think that this book does this.

So, overall, good.....but you could just use the help guidance on the Spotify site, but if that doesn't work for you, or you are a complete novice at this sort of thing, I would recommend this guide.

2.0 out of 5 stars For complete beginners, 16 Jan 2013
Amazon Customer "maria2222" (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have used Spotify for years now, so I chose this title more to see if there was some new, and (for me) undiscovered tools to use and make the experience even better rather than to find out how the programme works.
Unfortunately I didn't really find much of interest. I actually thought the size of the book and the writing at times made Spotify much more complicated than it is - I mean it's built up very much like certain other music stores/programmes with playlists, search fields etc. so I would think that the "help" function in the tool bar or a simple google search would provide most answers more readily than if you had to browse though this book...

3.0 out of 5 stars nullify, 19 July 2012
mfl (london) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

How up the date it will remain is another issue.

If you need to ultra maximise your Spot experience this may be worth the investment. If it were that difficult then Spotify would not have missed the trick either. By comparison, if you don't need a guide to operate itunes and you can't find what you need from a simple web search, then this Dummy may well soon be outgrown.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, easy-reading overview, 30 Jan 2013
This review is from: Spotify For Dummies (Paperback)
Does what it promises on the cover. Only gripe is that it leaves it until 30 pages in before telling you that you MUST now be a Facebook user to qualify for using Spotify. I have no intention of using Facebook - not even using a fake alias - so it turns out that Spotify is useless for me. Pity it didn't mention this at the beginning of the book!

3.0 out of 5 stars GOOD - BUT IS IT NECCESSARY?, 6 Mar 2012
Jim Brooks (Aberdeen, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
For some time I have been interested in finding out more about Spotify so I was pleased to see appearance of the Dummies Guide but very unhappy at having to set up a Facebook account in order to log in. I couldn't be less interested in Facebook, Twitter and all that and I resent the intrusion, but I suppose it was a minor inconvenience to fake up a Facebook account. It goes without saying that the only aspect of Spotify I have not used is the social one, though the book seems to give good guidance on this. The book gave good guidance on this, but I have no practical experience to share.

The book's great on how to set up Spotify, how to sync it to numerous devices, how to make playlists etc and would be especially helpful to someone who has ever even used something like iTunes.
So, reasonable value, but with a little initiative you can find excellent help on the Spotify site itself (a comment you'll find echoed in many of these reviews) and inevitably the book is going more and more out of date as Spotify is constantly improving and updating it site. In its favour, the book's helpful index does make it easy to refresh your mind on something you may have forgotten.

4.0 out of 5 stars Informative, 16 Feb 2012
Stuart Burns (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Unfortunately for the authors, Spotify recently updated which meant parts of the text became out of date as soon as it was published, especially in relation to off application apps some of which are now integrated with the infrastructure of the application. That said, be starting from the basics and working forwards it's impossible for even expert users not to gain some knowledge from the text, the material on searches particularly useful as is the material on mobile audio integration an area I've previously been cautious about.

2.0 out of 5 stars Spotify the mistakes..., 9 Jan 2012
DJ Bez (Weston-super-Mare) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been using Spotify for a while now, and found it quite intuitive from the beginning, so the minute I saw this title on Amazon Vine, I thought that either it would be a waste of trees, or perhaps had I been using the 'idiots interface' to Spotify for too long now!

Sadly I was right the first time around; and have to agree with the other 2 star reviewer; this book will potentially confuse, or put-off, the prospective Spotify 'noob' because its larger than it needs to be and makes the site look daunting, whilst existing users will probably learn nothing new - and would probably not be looking for a 'dummies' book anyway.

I'll have to be honest, I've never really liked this series of books anyway, very 'US' centric humour, and for me some titles just left me even more confused than when I'd started, the MS Access one being a good example. They might have started off being a bit left-of-centre and light relief to the very dull and dry PC textbooks of the early nineties, but could anyone ever read 'Eldercare For Dummies' (a genuine US title) without either party feeling patronised?

2.0 out of 5 stars A huge amount of information, but..., 24 Dec 2011
CJ Savernake (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm in two minds about this book. On the one hand, it has a huge amount of information, and I learned some things about Spotify that I never knew before. On the other hand, I'm not so sure it works that well as a "Dummies" title.

For me, a "Dummies" book should make any topic, however complex, seem completely unintimidating, straightforward and understandable. This book does not exactly succeed in that respect. Various parts of the problem I think are:

1. there IS so much information. I wasn't particularly overwhelmed by Spotify to begin with - in fact, I only got this book because it was offer on the Vine programme and, being a Spotify user, I thought, "I wonder how they found 350 pages worth of things to say about Spotify? I must be missing a lot of features!" But if this book had been my first experience of Spotify, I'm not sure I would have known where to start.

2. although some very simple things are explained in excruciating detail ('belaboured' might be a more blunt word), excessive detail doesn't necessarily make something easier to understand. In fact, I often started skimming because so many pages were taken to explain things that are obvious - and once you start skimming, you start missing information. The key to a successful Dummies title is to get the level of detail right, not to explain the process of how to boil water in so much detail that the reader loses interest.

3. some less obvious things are just thrown out there with little or no explanation. For example, I came across the word 'scrobble' while reading. I'd never heard of scrobbling, and if you go to the index, the first page reference for 'scrobbling' is page 62. Page 62 says nothing about scrobbling. Page 61 does though. I'm still not sure I know how to scrobble, or how to link in to last.fm with my Spotify account, or what the benefits of this would be.

So, if this title were "Spotify for the Reasonable Technically Competent Person Who Doesn't Get Flustered When a Mountain of Information is Thrown at Them, Simple Concepts are Belaboured and Unfamiliar Subjects Glossed Over", I could easily give this four or five stars. As it is a Dummies title though, it's more like 2 or 3 stars. I definitely wouldn't recommend this for someone who can't work out the basic concepts on their own - but as a general source of information for someone who is already a confident Spotify user, it's pretty good (although, such a person would find the belabouring of simple topics a bit annoying).

Good book overall, good source of information, but could really do with some serious editing by a proper Dummies writer.

Spotify For Dummies
Spotify For Dummies by Kim Gilmour (Paperback - 11 Nov 2011)
16.99